OSCARS: Bette Midler To Perform On Telecast For First Time Ever

bette midlerLast year, Oscars producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron lined up Shirley Bassey to make her first-ever appearance on the telecast, and also coaxed Barbra Streisand to perform for the first time in 36 years. This time around, they’ve lined up Bette Midler to make her performance debut on the show. No word yet on what she’ll be singing, but Zadan and Meron say her contribution will help make for an “especially moving evening.” Here’s the full release from the Academy:

oscarBEVERLY HILLS, CA – Two-time Oscar®-nominated actress and multiple Grammy Award®-winning singer Bette Midler will perform for the first time on the Oscars, show producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron announced today. The Oscars, hosted by Ellen DeGeneres, will air on Sunday, March 2, live on ABC.

“We are thrilled to have Bette perform on the Oscars for the very first time,” said Zadan and Meron. “We believe she will make our Oscar telecast an especially moving evening.”

Midler received Oscar nominations for Actress in a Leading Role for “For the Boys” and The Rose.” She has recorded 13 studio albums, the first of which, 1972’s “The Divine Miss M,” sold over a million copies and earned her a Grammy for Best New Artist. Midler has gone on to sell over 30 million albums worldwide and win two additional Grammys for the songs “The Rose” (Best Female Pop Vocal Performance) and “Wind Beneath My Wings” (Record of the Year). She has been honored with three Emmy® Awards and a special Tony Award® in 1974 for her contribution to that year’s Broadway season. Her numerous starring film roles include “The First Wives Club,” “Down and Out in Beverly Hills” and “Ruthless People,” Last year Midler portrayed the late Hollywood agent Sue Mengers in the hit Broadway production, “I’ll Eat You Last: A Chat with Sue Mengers.”

Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2013 will be presented on Oscar Sunday, March 2, at the Dolby Theatre® at Hollywood & Highland Center® and televised live on the ABC Television Network. The Oscars, produced by Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, also will be televised live in more than 225 countries and territories worldwide.

• Let me guess. In Memoriam segment? Either The Rose or Wind Beneath My Wings?

Comment by aleya — Wednesday February 19, 2014 @ 6:24am PST
  • The in memorium segment!

Comment by Moving — Wednesday February 19, 2014 @ 6:27am PST
  • Bette is a fabulous addition to the Oscars.

Comment by FTCS — Wednesday February 19, 2014 @ 6:42am PST
  • “Wind Beneath My Wings” for a Philip Seymour Hoffman tribute. I’m guessing.

Comment by no one — Wednesday February 19, 2014 @ 6:50am PST
  • Good for Bette Midler!

However, I don’t think that Barbra Streisand was ever “coaxed” to perform on the Oscars. I believe that in her heart she wanted to pay tribute to Marvin Hamlish and called the producers…. With all due respect, Barbra calls the shots as everyone knows. BTW Barbra needs to make a good movie before it is too late… Her career needs a glorious bookend. So does Bette for that matter…

Comment by Max — Wednesday February 19, 2014 @ 7:43am PST
  • I’m sensing it’s for a tribute to the 11th anniversary of “Chicago.”

Comment by John — Wednesday February 19, 2014 @ 7:45am PST
    • Haha. For the win. These guys are shameless.

Comment by yep — Wednesday February 19, 2014 @ 8:36am PST
  • No you got it wrong. It’s for the 1st anniversary of the 10th anniversary of the groundbreaking, award winning musical “Chicago”!!!!!!!!!!! I put ellen exclamation marks because of the 11 years it’s been since that Florida film won best picture.

Comment by oscars sword — Wednesday February 19, 2014 @ 9:50am PST
  • I would love to the rose or from a distance

Comment by Lisa — Wednesday February 19, 2014 @ 10:37am PST
  • Please sing The Rose or Stay with me baby.

Comment by Patty Jones — Wednesday February 19, 2014 @ 10:38am PST
  • Definitely either The Rose or The Wind Beneath My Wings.
    Love both of them and of course Bette oxoxox

Comment by Shirlee — Wednesday February 19, 2014 @ 10:39am PST