CW Shakes Up Monday In Midseason: ‘Hart Of Dixie’ To Friday, ‘Beauty & The Beast’ Benched

The 100With Tuesday on fire and Wednesday and Thursday solid, the CW is taking another crack at Mondays where it has struggled this fall with Hart Of Dixie and especially Beauty & The Beast. After a monthlong hiatus, the former will relocate to Fridays in March where it will follow the second cycle of summer standout Whose Line Is It Anyway? On Friday, Hart Of Dixie will succeed fellow sophomore drama The Carrie Diaries, which had a 13-episode order. The CW’s new Monday lineup will consist of new midseason drama Star-Crossed and fall freshman The Tomorrow People, which will star-crossedrelocate from Wednesday night for a sci-fi block the CW brass hope will do better than Hart Of Dixie and Beauty & The Beast. Before the new lineup takes hold, CW’s Monday will go through a transitional period with newcomer Star-Crossed paired with holdover Beauty & The Beast for a month in a romance-themed combo. The Tomorrow People will be vacating the post-Arrow slot, which the CW wants to use as a launch pad for a second genre drama this season, midseason entry The 100, which is considered the most compatible with Arrow. After its March 10 telecast, Beauty & The Beast will go on hiatus, with return date for the remaining six original episodes TBD. Whose Line will warm up the Friday 8-9 PM period with repeats from last summer from February 14-March 14 before the sketch comedy launches its second season with two back-to-back originals on March 21. Starting the following week, a new Whose Line will air at 8 PM, followed by a repeat at 8:30 PM. Here are the CW’s midseason premiere dates:

MONDAYS
FEBRUARY 17
8-9 PM — Star-Crossed (Series Premiere)
9-10 PM — Beauty And The Beast
MARCH 17
8-9 PMĀ – Star-Crossed
9-10 PM — The Tomorrow People (New Night)

WEDNESDAYS
MARCH 19
8-9 PM — Arrow
9-10 PM — The 100 (Series Premiere)

FRIDAYS
MARCH 21

8-8:30 PM — Whose Line Is It Anyway? (Cycle 2 Premiere)
8:30-9 PM — Whose Line Is It Anyway?
9-10 PM — Hart Of Dixie (New Night)

• looks like hart of dixe is going bye bye. to bad. it’s a cute show. but c’mon man blacks & whites together in alabama.

Comment by dji — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 9:49am PST
    • I hate ALL the couples this year on Hart of Dixie. Ruined a decent show.

Comment by TJ — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 10:41am PST
    • Wow did u really say that, U seriously need to get a grip nice for u to show your racist side.

Comment by Linda — Friday December 13, 2013 @ 10:30am PST
  • God forbid CW moves that POS Reign to another night or off the schedule completely.

Comment by ReallyCW — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 9:56am PST
    • Hahaha. Clearly Reign is doing just fine where it is.

Comment by Valerie — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 10:22am PST
      • HaHaHa – no it isn’t. Look at the numbers, not the CW spin. Look at the numbers – my goodness, the CW is supposed to be a ‘young’ audience network. Look at Reign’s demo numbers – they are stunning – stunningly bad.

As they say, it is not what you know, it is who you know – someone producing Reign sure has some ‘friends’ in high places at the CW. Good for them. If I were running CW (CBS/Warner), I’d go find out who’s making these programming decisions [is that you MP?], and I’d fire their a@# real fast. CW is pissing away the best time slot of the week on this truly, (and I don’t say this very often) awful POS called Reign.

Comment by Reign will die of a thousand cuts — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 2:59pm PST
    • @Really, Reign is doing better in ratings ,has grown reccently and been steady while TTP just fell again.Reign is doing better in online viewing,social media,the PCAs than TP and CW wants it to do well.and Arrow/TTP are more compatible but TTP has awful retention.Just cause you don’t like Reign dosent mean they should’ve moved it or pulled it.
      @djj, HoD will be renewed for syndication.BatB is the one goin by bye seeing as its going on a sudden spring hiatus with no return date for the last six episodes.

Comment by Brandy — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 10:32am PST
      • You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I’m happy you like the show – nothing wrong with that. However, rather than just saying ‘Reign is doing better in the ratings’, just for your information and knowledge, check out TVbyTheNumbers, or any of the sites that track the Nielsen ratings, both viewers, and ratings/demo. Please check them out. They also track DVR+3, +7, C3, C7, you name it. Just about any audience metric one can think of. Who knows, maybe they even track Twitter ‘tweets’, for whatever they are worth – terrific.

However, that doesn’t change the fact that Reign is *not* producing the numbers of a show that belongs in the 9pm Thursday slot. That doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be there, or that I’m right and you are wrong. It is just saying that given the other shows CW has on their schedule, and the numbers that they are producing relative to the numbers Reign is tallying, keeping Reign in that slot is not a smart, competitive ‘programming’ move by the CW brass and MP. That’s all that we’re saying. The Originals, and probably ‘the 100′, could produce better numbers in that 9pm/Thurs slot, and be a better fit in that slot than Reign.

That’s all anyone, including @Really, is saying. We’re not dumping on the show, even though that show may not be our cup of tea and we don’t believe it should be aired. I understand that the show is geared toward young women – terrific. So was HoD, Carrie, GG etc. Nothing wrong with that, but placing any of those shows in the 9pm Thursday slot would have been questioned. Yet, no one is allowed to question the programming of Reign in that 9pm slot. That’s what this conversation is about.

Comment by Reign will die of a thousands cuts — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 3:14pm PST
        • I have looked at Reigns ratings and it got a couple 0.7 a couple weeks ago, Bette than TTP,CD,Nikita,HoD or BatB. An 0.7 for CW now is good.An 1.0 for CW now is breakout hit.Thats the facts.I look at tvbtn every day btw and know what I’m talking about.Maybe you and Really don’t like Reign or clearly are bitter that TTP with 45-50% retention out Arrow was moved and Reign wasn’t when TTP has declined from 0.9 to 0.5 in 8 weeks and Reign went from 0.8 to 0.6-0.7 dosent mean Reign dosent deserve the Thurs 9 pm slot.Last week TTP got a 0.6 out of Arrow s 1.2.Does that deserve that spot?No.Reign has been much more steady in ratings.Last night TTP got a 0.5 out of Arrows 1.1 .You wanna talk about a show that deserve the 9 pm slot?Its TTP.Reign was put behind VD cause it’s female skewing and Vzd has the highest female demo on CW,like it or not.TV ratings have declined greatly the pat couple seasons.On CW a show getting 0.6-0.7 was pulled after three episodes,today a show with those ratings are Likley to be renewed.

Comment by Brandy — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 4:03pm PST
          • Also, the 100 is a better fit with Arrow than Vzd and there’s no gaurenteed The 100 will be a sucsess,after VD or not.TO was very deliberatley scheduled to stand on its own and it has,it’s proven it dosent need the VD push.AlsoYOU should look at the ratings for the shows after VD the last couple seasons,last season BatB averaged 0.5-0.7 yet stayed behind it the whole time and was renewed.Nothing does that well after VD cause most of its fans go online to talk about it.In 5 seasons, they’ve never moved a show after VD during the season.

Comment by Brandy — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 4:10pm PST
          • I’m impressed with the homework you did on the ratings and demo for the various CW show. Good work. Look, I respect your opinion, and we’ll have to agree to disagree, and that’s okay. I do agree with you, Reign has gotten better ratings/demo than TTP, CD, HoD, Nikita, BatB. However, what happened to all these shows on the CW? CD went to Friday, Nikita went to Friday, BatB is probably headed to Friday, HoD is headed to Friday. You know what that means? — I know you do, you know your stuff – in ‘CW speak’, moving a show to Friday mean cancellation. TTP? I agree, I’m not certain that show will make it, but at least the CW is trying to find out. Can TTP hold up on its own? – let’s find out and move it to another night and give the post Arrow spot to another new show. That makes sense. That’s how you run a network – heck, even the CW.

How long should they leave Reign in the Thursday/9pm slot? For the entire season, maybe all of next season too? Why not, VD fans turn off the TV anyway at 9pm to go on Twitter. Let’s leave Reign at 9pm ‘forever’. I’m an older guy, from the ‘old school’. I won’t program a key night like Thursday night around Twitter. I want and need numbers – I need the demo. Thursday nights (and I know you know this) is THE NIGHT for television – the advertisers are killing each other to get into Thursday nights pre-weekend/movies, etc. I need better demo numbers at 9pm that night.

Maybe you are right – maybe we should just accept the lower numbers and say, ‘oh well, that’s the way TV is going’. You may well be right, but I want more from TV – I want to demand better numbers, and I want every darn producer creating a television show for the CW to know this – produce, or die trying. They/the producers need to push themselves, their writers and their actors to create something new, compelling – not just another GG or CD set in the middle ages.

But, we’ll agree to disagree. I do appreciate you coming back having done your homework and showing me the numbers. That’s the to do things – well done. You may have a future in television if you so choose. ;)

Comment by All you CW producers - work harder and produce better shows or die try'in — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 9:21pm PST
  • Beauty & the Beast has been really good this yeawr!

Comment by bummer — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 10:18am PST
    • Beauty and the Beast was opposite Sleepy Hollow…that’s what killed it.

Comment by Judith Constantino — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 3:31pm PST
    • It stinks!

Comment by Alex — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 10:23pm PST
  • Please dont cancel the Carrie Diaries and give it the promotion it deserves. Its smart, adorable and the cast is fantastic.

Comment by Miranda Hobbes — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 10:44am PST
  • Darn, that means the kiss of death for HOD. Bummer.

Comment by leola — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 12:45pm PST
    • No it dosent.HoD will most Likley get renewed for syndication and whose Line as a deccent rated leadin should help and lower ratings expectations for fri will help and HoD will probably do as well or better than the other fri shows that aired there the last couple seasons (cw hopes/epects it to)& and that will save it plus,HoD has higher ratings than three shows on cw right now and one of thier new shows is doing poorly so that gives HoD a better chance at renwal.Its also been very steady in ratings in three seasons so I don’t expect it ratings to fall much on fri.

Comment by Brandy — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 2:26pm PST
      • I would hope the CW stands by HOD…as it has to be one of the better swhows airing on TV right now. Not everybody likes zombies and murderers…and the people of Bluebell fill the bill. I hope it runs maqny more years.

Comment by Judith Constaqntino — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 4:09pm PST
        • I agree with you 100%! I’m a little ticked at the CW about HOD.. it seems that they want it to fail. They should’ve left it on Tues nights.. I always get a little leery when a show I like gets moved to Fri night..but I really hope it gets renewed and we get more stories from the people of Blubell

Comment by MJO — Monday December 16, 2013 @ 11:29am PST
  • Beauty and the Beast was my favorite show last year. But this year the romantic connection between the leads, which is what the show is all about, has been lost. I just wish they would give it a chance on a different day (even Friday!), and go back to the type of direction and story lines that made last year so great.

Comment by MaryAnn — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 2:59pm PST
    • I agree. Beauty and the Beast has been one of my favorite shows. This season the romantic connection has been off the mark. The leads have good chemistry. I think if they go back to the original premise, the ratings would increase. I don’t want this show to fade away.

Comment by Kathy — Saturday December 14, 2013 @ 10:04am PST
  • HOD is my favorite show but this season the writers have ignored what drew the viewers to love itt in the first place…the love story between Zoe qand Wade. This season the writers have made us watch a new character, Joel, who has been the focus of every single episode…and many viewers have left in disgust. If you have a winning formula (Zoe qand Wade)…why mess with it? There is so much garbage on TV…caqn’t we enjoy a sweet sexy show about two people who faqll in love against the odds in a small southern town? If the writerws don’t kill it…the CW will.

Comment by Judith Constantino — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 3:51pm PST
  • Tomorrow People Monday’s at 8pm(cst) ? Don’t know how I feel about that..

Comment by Ace — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 6:53pm PST
  • Reign is the best show and i really love it a lot!! Well done CW and do not listen to these people who call all of the hard work you put into the programs you make a POS !!!

Comment by Angela — Thursday December 12, 2013 @ 10:49pm PST
  • I felt that it was a big mistake for them to have BB start the way it did this year. It wasted a very effective, emotional cliff hanger by not showing Vincent being held captive, etc. I guess they thought that would be too predictable, or something. At any rate, they messed up what good things the show had going for it, and that’s too bad.
    Concerning Reign, though I’m not a Nielsen person, and in the wrong demo anyway, I do watch TVD, and I started watching Reign basically because I did just leave it on after TVD while I did a few other things. Though I would have preferred that they took a little less license with the real facts-like the fact that the “real” Francis was a sickly young man his whole life, and not a robust young stud, Mary was a red head just like her other famous royal relatives, and King’s mistress Diane would probably have been middle aged if she’d borne the King any offspring the age of Bash. However, I just look at it like its an alternate universe version of the history of the ill-fated, Tudor-related monarch. Other than that, I actually find it rather interesting, and the actors/actresses do a decent job, IMO, of playing their characters. Though Bash is a fictitious character, it’s not so far fetched that the King could not have had an illegitimate son that he accepted and cared for-and though it would have been unlikely that his real mistress would have borne him a child because she was so much older than he was, stranger things have happened. Bash is one of the most interesting characters on the show.
    Having said all this, the show hasn’t done all that well, but according to this announcement, its not being moved from its slot, so I would say that is a small positive.
    If I had been doing the scheduling, I would have put Reign after the Originals, and left Beauty and the Beast where it was after TVD. The reason I would have done that is because that TO does have its period flashbacks, and they have hinted at some supernatural goings on in Reign-so they would have been a better fit than some might think, at first glance. Supernatural is well established, and it is fortunate that its fans seem to be willing to follow it where ever they put it on the schedule, so it not following TO would probably have been okay, in terms of its ratings.

Comment by lainey — Friday December 13, 2013 @ 7:09am PST