MSNBC Temporarily Suspends ‘Up Late With Alec Baldwin’

The cable news network has pulled Alec Baldwin’s Friday night interview show off the air for the next two weeks after the actor verbally lashed out at a photographer this week. Asked about a recent court case he’s testified in, the often combustable Baldwin responded to the snapper with what appeared to be homophobic remarks. Up Late With Alec Baldwin will not air tonight, when Ellen Barkin was set to be the guest, or on November 22. Here’s a statement from Baldwin that was posted today on MSNBC’s website:

Related: Alec Baldwin’s MSNBC Show Falls To New Low

I did not intend to hurt or offend anyone with my choice of words, but clearly I have – and for that I am deeply sorry. Words are important. I understand that, and will choose mine with great care going forward. What I said and did this week, as I was trying to protect my family, was offensive and unacceptable. Behavior like this undermines hard-fought rights that I vigorously support. I understand “Up Late” will be taken off the schedule for tonight and next week.

I want to apologize to my loyal fans and to my colleagues at msnbc – both for my actions and for distracting from their good work. Again, please accept my apology.

This isn’t the first time MSNBC has had to pull one of the hosts off the air because of offensive comments. Back in May 2011, Ed Schultz was taken off for a week without pay for calling conservative radio host Laura Ingraham “a right wing slut.”

• This is why I only watch Fox News!

-Every unoriginal person that is going to comment on this post

Comment by Steve — Friday November 15, 2013 @ 4:51pm PST
    • *insert slam against Fox News even though the article in question has absolutely nothing to do with Fox News*

-Every unoriginal person that is going to comment on this post

Comment by luke — Friday November 15, 2013 @ 6:14pm PST
      • If it was one of the hosts on FOX News who made that remark you phoney liberals would demand he be blacklisted. Baldwin will be on the air before you know it, he’ll do a skit about it on SNL or laugh it off with Jimmy Fallon. It’s a good thing for libs that they’re held to a very “low” standard.

Comment by Alex — Saturday November 16, 2013 @ 5:33am PST
    • Baldwin is on Once a week in a time slot no one seems to have discovered and this is your rationale for watching Fox? Nice try. But good insight into logic of Fox viewers.

Comment by Ratbag — Saturday November 16, 2013 @ 5:39am PST
      • You didn’t pick up on Steve’s sarcasm I guess. Which is a good insight into you. Meanwhile, you’re still dribbling on about Fox News despite the subject having zero to do with Fox News. Fox News Derangement Syndrome is clearly as debilitating as Palin Derangement Syndrome and Bush Derangement Syndrome. Good thing Obamacare now afford you mental help.

Comment by crystal — Saturday November 16, 2013 @ 12:13pm PST
    • This is pure BS. Howard Stern gets to go on the air spouting filth and slurs forever, but Alec Baldwin gets popped for one provoked incident in the heat of anger?

He should sue the network.

Comment by Gigmaster — Saturday November 16, 2013 @ 12:53pm PST
    • Alec says that “words are important” and that he will choose his words more carefully — because words matter. What about the word “marriage”. Words only matter when Alec says so.

Comment by hipocrite alarm — Sunday November 17, 2013 @ 10:26am PST
  • Empty words. Probably issued by his publicist. He continues to abuse peole verbally and then gets a pass after issuing a so-called apology. Just this past June Mr. Baldwin issued this statement: “As someone who fights against homophobia, I apologize. I have worked, periodically, with numerous marriage equality organizations, especially over the past couple of years, to achieve the very rights that gay couples are earning by recent court decisions. I would not advocate violence against someone for being gay and I hope that my friends at GLAAD and the gay community understand that my attack on Mr. Stark in no way was the result of homophobia.”

How many chances will this blowhard receive before we finally say “NO MAS!”?

Comment by Allison Wonderland — Friday November 15, 2013 @ 4:54pm PST
    • ^Yeah? Lets stick a bunch of cameras in your face everyday, harassing you and your family, asking personal questions, and being a butt-head in general, and see how long it takes before you lose your cool.

Comment by Gigmaster — Saturday November 16, 2013 @ 12:56pm PST
  • Two Weeks? This POS should never have gone on the air. MSNBC is one of my favorite channels, but this show is pure dreck. Why not sign someone like John Fugelsang. My God Baldwin is nuclear waste.

Comment by Lyn Younger — Friday November 15, 2013 @ 4:55pm PST
  • A terrific actor with serious identity issues. Whodathunk??!!

Comment by anon — Friday November 15, 2013 @ 4:56pm PST
  • People make mistakes. BUT…Alec’s anger issues and anti-gay language have been repeated. You only truly apologize
    with extended changed behavior.
    That said…those paparazzis and supposed journalists constantly
    in your face and your family’s space has to
    drive anyone up a wall…celebrity or not.

Comment by Chris Braun — Friday November 15, 2013 @ 5:05pm PST
  • Replace Baldwin with Mel Gibson

Comment by k4kafka — Friday November 15, 2013 @ 5:19pm PST
  • Sorry Alec, too many negative outbursts…you’ve become a caricature.

Comment by guy — Friday November 15, 2013 @ 5:23pm PST
  • Sorry, folks. Love Alec. And root for him every time he busts on a smarmy photographer… they are just words said in anger and I don’t care what he says. It’s an outrage that he (and other celebrities) are allowed to be stalked and harassed.

Comment by Biff — Friday November 15, 2013 @ 5:50pm PST
    • Yet I’m sure you were one of many who got their faux outrage on over something Paula Deen said thirty years ago or what an inebriated Mel Gibson said when he got pulled over by a cop a few years back. Face it, far more talented actors than Baldwin have been run out of Hollywood for far less yet this old bigot gets chance after chance after chance. Why?

Comment by luke — Friday November 15, 2013 @ 7:19pm PST
  • I hear he’s running for Mayor in Toronto.

Comment by burkiss — Friday November 15, 2013 @ 5:56pm PST
  • Why does this guy keep getting away with shooting off his mouth inappropriately?? I dont understand how he keeps getting jobs! Hes very rude and downright mean! Im sick of seeing him in the news and on tv. I certainly am sick of seeing his wifes picture too. She looks just as mean. I really liked alec when he was with kim bassinger. They made a beautiful couple and he didnt act all cocky like he acts now. How he got a talk show is beyond me but by the looks of the ratings it will end as fast as it started

Comment by Tammy — Friday November 15, 2013 @ 6:30pm PST