‘Attack The Block’s Joe Cornish Beaming Up For ‘Star Trek 3?’

EXCLUSIVE: We know that Paramount and Skydance Productions lost JJ Abrams as the director of the third installment of Star Trek when Abrams took on Star Wars. I’m hearing the studio is sweet on Joe Cornish to direct the next film. Cornish made his feature directorial debut on Attack The Block, the saga of a group of British youths who stave off an alien invasion in their rough neighborhood.

Cornish followed by being one of the writers on The Adventures Of Tin Tin, and he and Edgar Wright wrote the script for Ant-Man, the Marvel Studios film that Wright is going to direct. Long story short, he’s gotten exposure to bigger scale projects than Attack The Block, in which he admirably depicted a full scale alien invasion on a relatively small budget. Doing a movie like this would certainly put his career on a warp speed path. He’s already working with Paramount on the novel adaptation Snow Crash which he’s prepping to present to the studio.

It’s early days on this, but stay tuned. Paramount is readying the movie to shoot in summer, 2014. Cornish is repped by CAA.

• i didn’t like Attack The Block. tell me why I’m wrong…

Comment by fr — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 9:09am PDT
    • You’re not alone.

Comment by Chad — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 9:20am PDT
    • You are not. It sucked.

Comment by Z — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 9:24am PDT
      • Says you. Good thing you aren’t the one choosing scripts to go into production.

Comment by g — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 3:01pm PDT
    • You’re not wrong, you just have an opinion.

Comment by Feedback — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 9:42am PDT
    • Might be easier to respond if you elaborate upon why you didn’t like it. Otherwise my response is, “It’s a really good movie. Don’t know what to tell you.”

Comment by Jeff — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 9:53am PDT
    • Because Attack the Block wasn’t for you. It was for the people that never get to be the heroes on screen.

Comment by Darth Disappointed — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 9:55am PDT
      • You mean thugs who beat and assault women? Because I’ve been waiting so long for a movie where they’re the heroes! I found them to be such vermin I wanted the aliens to win.

Comment by gord — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 7:12pm PDT
        • Oh, I’m sorry, it was different from violent American films how exactly? I understand that it isn’t to everyone’s liking which is fair enough and in fact I grew up within 2 miles of the setting which, of course, influences me as to how I liked it.

The fact is Cornish showed rather uncomfortably that male youths are now highly influenced by what can be argued as American gangster culture whatever the country and how that becomes their point of reference when dealing with their environment or situations because it is the only thing they can count on. Yes, South-East London kids use foul language and yes, intentionally or otherwise, groups of them will frighten people. Actually, the most poignant scene was between the lead and the teacher he intimidated when she discovered that he had been abandoned by the adults in his life and had hidden the fact that he had been caring for himself for years – the sight of the kiddy duvet cover on his bed was startling. You have to remember that the idea for the film came to Cornish when he lived in the area and was mugged one night – he just decided to put this against a back-drop of not all alien-invasions happen in suburbia or nice central areas.

As you can guess, I liked it and if Cornish gets the “Trek 3″ gig, it’s going to be very interesting indeed and good for him – wish him all the best!

Comment by Wendy Scott — Sunday November 3, 2013 @ 3:00am PST
    • Because you hate fun things that are good.

Comment by Matt — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 10:09am PDT
    • Well, if you didn’t like it, that doesn’t make you wrong. I suppose it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I thought it was a tight, tense film with wonderful characters.

Comment by Brendan — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 10:09am PDT
      • I didn’t like it.

I didn’t find the central characters at all sympathetic, it wasn’t as funny as it thought it was and it was derivative of better films with more to say.

But it was the guy’s first feature film. And making films is *really* hard. And I think he has better films in him.

Comment by D unit — Monday November 4, 2013 @ 2:49am PST
    • Agreed. I’ve tried to watch that movie like 5 different times and cannot for the life of me get through it. It got so much love on Ain’t It Cool News you’d think it was The Goonies but it never landed for me and it should have. Congrats to Cornish for getting this nod though.

Comment by a writer — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 10:22am PDT
    • Did you watch the whole movie? I had some trouble getting into it at first, since the kids’ accents were a little hard to decipher. But once it got going, I thought it was a hoot. (Plus it was nice to see aliens that were costumes for a change instead of iffy CGI…)

Comment by chaburchak — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 10:33am PDT
    • I didn’t like it either. The problems, for me, are down to the script with its throughly unlikeable cast (They are violent and petty street criminals whom we first meet when they mug the lead and bring about the whole invasion through their own scumbag actions) and then the false expectations raised by it being marketed as a kind of action-(black) comedy when it is woefully lacking in this latter. That doesn’t subtract from Joe Cornish, who did a superb job and, as a later poster points out, on a low budget.

Comment by Ripsnorter — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 10:50am PDT
      • I thought it was hilarious, but then again, I’m from London.

Comment by Guest — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 2:52pm PDT
        • You made me laugh! Thanks for that.

Comment by Ripsnorter — Sunday November 3, 2013 @ 4:12am PST
  • This may make many Trekies very happy, most think “Star Trek 2″ was the worst Trek so far.

Comment by Alex — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 9:15am PDT
    • “Into Darkness” was not the worst “Trek” film by a long-shot and it just goes to show that the fans who voted it was really do not know shit when it’s served. The only problem with it is that the last 30 mins is too much of a mirror image of “WRATH OF KHAN” which was, unfortunately, intentional and the fact that Paramount and Bad Robert spent too much time playing down the Khan rumours which, I’m sure, ANY PR person worth their salt would have told them will bite them in the arse when the fandom finally learns that the rumours were true from the get-go. I only hope that Cornish (should he get the gig) goes for a more original third outing rather than a remake of the terrible “SEARCH FOR SPOCK”.

Comment by Wendy Scott — Sunday November 3, 2013 @ 3:09am PST
      • Bring Back CHRISTOPHER LLOYD!

Comment by Vaughn Leland — Monday November 4, 2013 @ 9:10am PST
  • Will Cornish be instructed to include light flares to keep the series “conistent”??!!

Comment by JoeS — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 9:33am PDT
    • Now that JJ Abrams is off STAR TREK, let’s leave the lens flare jokes behind as we boldly go.

Comment by Mr. Majestyk — Sunday November 3, 2013 @ 12:10am PDT
      • May the Lens flares be with you.

Comment by masanissa — Monday November 4, 2013 @ 1:49am PST
  • I an see Cornish working for Star Trek 3 – Attack the Block was dramatic, funny and both epic and intimate. Sounds like the right mix for Trek.

Maybe Paramount should get him to write it, too.

Comment by Sheldon W. — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 9:35am PDT
  • Just as long as they don’t bring in Brett Ratner for the third entry, I’m fine.

Comment by Pat — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 9:48am PDT
  • You don’t have to be wrong, you’re allowed not to like it. I thought it was charming.

Comment by Jesus — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 9:51am PDT
  • If this comes to pass, this is an inspired choice!

Comment by Brendan — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 10:05am PDT
  • Look at the budget they had and what he did with it.

Comment by My opinion — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 10:08am PDT
  • Who remembers The Adam & Joe Show? Time for a revival? Bring back Baaad Daaad!

Comment by Rich Johnston — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 10:25am PDT
  • Hated INTO DARKNESS — overblown, soulless, and frenetic. Hiring Cornish for the sequel seems to make all the sense in the world based on how the second film turned out, regrettably.

Comment by Doc Michaels — Saturday November 2, 2013 @ 10:26am PDT