UPDATE: NBC Cancels ‘Welcome To The Family’ & ‘Ironside’, Gives ‘Sean Saves The World’ Script Order, Sets Premiere Dates For ‘Community’ & ‘Chicago PD’

UPDATE, 1:55 PM: I’ve learned that NBC‘s other new Thursday comedy awaiting word on its fate, Sean Saves The World, has received an order for 4 additional scripts. While the series posted a 1.1 in adults 18-49 last night, same as freshly cancelled Ironside, it does build on its Welcome To The Family lead-in (0.9 last night), and NBC brass have been encouraged with the show’s creative direction. The third new NBC comedy, The Michael J. Fox Show, has a 22-episode order.

PREVIOUS 13:35: NBC has pulled Ironside and Welcome To The Family three weeks into their freshman runs. Welcome To The Family is gone effective immediately, while Ironside will air one more episode next Wednesday before falling off the schedule. Beginning October 30, repeats, Dateline and specials will air in Ironside’s 10 PM berth until January 8, when Chicago Fire spinoff Chicago P.D. will debut in the slot that successfully launched the mothership series last season. On Thursdays, NBC will air a mix of back-to-back Parks And Recreation episodes and various specials for the next two months, with veteran Community launching its fifth season on January 2 with back-to-back episodes from 8-9 PM before moving to its old 8 PM slot, with current occupant Parks And Rec sliding to Welcome To The Family‘s 8:30 PM period beginning with the January 9 episode, the show’s 100th. Ironside and Welcome To The Family have been among NBC’s lowest-rated series on the air. In their most recent airings, Ironside logged a 1.1 in 18-49, flat with the previous week and the same as Sean Saves The World, while Welcome To The Family was up a tenth to a 0.9. Here is a rundown of NBC’s plans for the two time periods:

Wednesday 10 PM time slot:

Oct. 30: “Law & Order: SVU” (encore of season premiere)

Nov. 6: “Dateline” (original)

Nov. 13: “Dateline” (original)

Nov. 20: “Dateline” (original)

Nov. 27: “SNL Thanksgiving”

Dec. 4: “SNL Christmas” (9-11 PM)

Dec. 11: Kelly Clarkson Christmas Special

Dec. 18: Michael Buble Christmas Special

Jan. 8, 2014: Premiere of “Chicago P.D.”

Thursday 8 PM time slot:

Oct. 24: “The Voice” (encore)

Oct. 31: “SNL Halloween”

Nov. 7: “The Voice” (live)

Nov. 14: “Parks And Recreation” (back-to-back new episodes)

Nov. 21: “Parks And Recreation” (back-to-back new episodes)

Nov. 28: “Sunday Night Football” Thanksgiving game

Dec. 5: “The Sound Of Music Live” telecast

Dec. 12: “The Sing-Off”

Dec. 19: “The Sing-Off”

Jan. 2, 2014: Season premiere of “Community” (back-to-back episodes)

Jan. 9: 100th episode of “Parks And Recreation” (8:30 PM)

• Mike O’Malley can’t catch a break.. I really enjoyed WttF. Bummer.

Comment by Christopher — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 1:41pm PDT
    • I did too. It was a smart, funny show. I hope the remaining episodes get released.

O’Malley should be fine. His career as a writer is really taking off. He has a comedy in development at Starz.

Comment by Jay — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 1:55pm PDT
    • Enjoyed the first three episodes. Shame such a thoughtful and fun show gets the ax. I never cared for O’Malley as an actor until his arc on Justified and he was perfect in this. What made it so great was that it was just about real people dealing with real life and not the, “Tacos?! For breakfast? Whaaaa?!!!” faux-culture clash junk it appeared to be at first blush.

Comment by ReallyDog — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 4:47pm PDT
    • This was a fantastic show. Smart and funny with heart. Incredible cast. Definitely deserved more of a chance. Mike O’Malley and Mary McDonald. I really wish NBC would have given it the support to grow an audience. Looks like it was the sacrificial lamb for their poor scheduling.

Comment by TVsunsetwatcher — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 7:02pm PDT
      • You mean Mary McCormack. Great on In Plain Sight and West Wing.

Comment by HAP — Saturday October 19, 2013 @ 12:44pm PDT
        • AND Howard Stern’s Private Parts..!

Comment by Rodney Hakes — Monday October 21, 2013 @ 12:28pm PDT
    • This was a really funny show. funnier than any other comedy on NBC. Better cast. Better writing. NBC never gave this great show a fair chance. Their other new comedies – Sean Saves and Michael J Fox – got two airings of each episode a week, and double the on and off air promotion. But neither one of those shows was as well written, acted , and FUNNY as Welcome To The Family.

Comment by Justafanla — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 8:53pm PDT
      • Even Eva Longoria couldn’t help this show. I thought it had potential. The Michael J. Fox show makes me very uncomfortable.

Comment by Mom Cat — Monday October 21, 2013 @ 7:33am PDT
      • I couldn’t agree more “Justafanla”. I thought WTTF was histerical. Way better than the Michael J fox show(and I love him). Maybe it was the time slot. Maybe Mondays would have been better. I wonder if we can do anything to get WTTF put back on?

Comment by Tammy — Tuesday October 29, 2013 @ 5:00am PDT
      • I agree!!! I could totally do without both of those shows… Welcome to the Family was HILARIOUS and my son and I enjoyed watching it together and have been looking for it for weeks before I turned here to figure it out! We used it as a “learning experience” of what NOT to do! Great Mother and Son stuff and comedy that we could laugh with during the awkwardness of the serious discussions. It helped lead the door open to talk to our kids about where others go wrong and to learn from it! HUGE BUMMER!!! :(

Comment by Anonymous — Friday November 22, 2013 @ 8:54pm PST
    • I’d say that Blair Underwood seems to have tougher luck.

Comment by blink — Saturday October 19, 2013 @ 1:25am PDT
      • I agree. I liked the new face on the old show and the reality for all types of people.

Comment by KayKay — Tuesday December 3, 2013 @ 5:03pm PST
    • WTF?!?!?

Ironside Canceled only after 3 episodes….WTH was wrong with it?!…great cast, with good script, with realness.

I hope it can get picked up again, it would be a shame that it didn’t.

Comment by Jonathan Thomas, Jr. — Saturday October 19, 2013 @ 5:50am PDT
      • Ironside is a great new show and Blair Underwood is fantastic in it. If both Ironside and Sean Saves the World have the same audience amount, definitely Sean should be cancelled. The networks don’t seem to give the new dramas time to catch on.

Comment by Susan Logan — Saturday October 19, 2013 @ 3:27pm PDT
        • I agree! Sean saves the world is not funny. I watched half an episode and opted for reruns on a different channel. Ironside and welcome to the family were the best shows on NBC.

Comment by Anonymous — Friday October 25, 2013 @ 11:32am PDT
      • I agree! Really liked this show. What is the matter with these networks!

Comment by Cam — Saturday October 19, 2013 @ 5:42pm PDT
      • NBC blew this one for sure. One of the few interesting new shows to come along, and was skeptical when I first heard about it. But it is first rate. Maybe CBS will pick it up and give it a fair chance.

Comment by Wooz — Tuesday October 22, 2013 @ 8:24am PDT
      • Can Anyone Please let me know If Iron-side:Starring Blair Underwood Episodes be purchased.

Comment by Susie — Wednesday October 30, 2013 @ 10:55pm PDT
      • I agree. I loved the show. I have seen lobgs disabled do not like it?

I think it is a great remake of the orignal. Changing to modern day where a man in a wheelchair can still do his job. I love Blair Underwood. He is such a good actor. I was looking forward to the show. I wondered what happend, it droped off my DVR listing? I give up.

Comment by JinnyD'Angelo — Monday November 4, 2013 @ 11:46am PST
    • Same here! WttF and Ironside were much better than the other shows on NBC. I don’t know, maybe it had a bad time slot- I had to watch all the episodes the next day.

Comment by Mandy — Friday October 25, 2013 @ 11:35am PDT
  • no big surprise- what a horrid piece of crap ironside was…as for “family”not on your life did I dare cast my eyes in that direction!

wake up tv- or just lose everyone to cable and netflix

Comment by in the business — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 1:46pm PDT
  • Blair Underwood has the worst luck on NBC…this has to be his fourth or fifth canceled series with them. Too bad…Ironside was decent.

Comment by Kiss0fdeath — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 1:51pm PDT
  • I liked how you slipped and said “Deadline” would be airing in the Ironside 10PM slot. I would watch that show. More news and less gossip, as opposed to most of the other entertainment “news” shows out there.

Comment by BD — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 1:51pm PDT
  • Anybody involved with greenlighting Ironside should be fired as well. And anyone responsible for the scripts that aired should be put in a time out.

BUt somebody please get Mr. Underwood a good show.

Comment by Lou — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 1:54pm PDT
    • hgahahahahahhaha.. you my friend are funny as hell

Comment by IronWhack — Sunday October 20, 2013 @ 5:55pm PDT
  • Jeezus, give us a minute to watch the damn shows.

Comment by julieg — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 1:55pm PDT
    • They do…. They really do.

Comment by Richard — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 3:20pm PDT
  • Does NBC understand that Community and Parks will only be getting 1.3-1.5′s in January? There’s no difference. Give up Thursday Night and go up against ABC Wednesday comedies. They only have Modern Family. The Middle/Back In The Game/Super Fun Night are barely getting 2.1′s. They better watch out or CBS will own 3 nights of comedies. The scheduling department at NBC have no idea how to program anything besides The Voice and Sunday Night Football. And the latter is in the title.

Comment by The Voice of reason — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 1:59pm PDT
    • “Does NBC understand that Community and Parks will only be getting 1.3-1.5?s in January?”

January? Parks can barely eke out a 1.3 now! It tied with The Vampire Diaries in the demo.

Comment by Nona — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 2:56pm PDT
    • On the one hand, you’re right, they’d probably have an easier time on Wednesdays, but I think there’s something to be said about the tradition that goes with Thursday night comedy on NBC. Naturally at some point you have to right the sinking ship though. Although there is a different in with Community/Parks, in that their 1.5s are more valuable because every episode they air now is gravy for syndication, vs. new shows on their way to cancellation.

Comment by Prax — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 3:04pm PDT
      • The syndications of both Parks and Community are not quite gravy. Sure they sold, but for low money to smaller outlets. And with Parks at well over $2 million an episode it’s hardly a cash cow.

Comment by Not quite 'gravy' — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 4:44pm PDT
  • Well, the NBC network has really collapsed into just another reality show TV network. Scripted drama is fast becoming passe.

Comment by Richard Clifford — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 2:06pm PDT
    • NBC hasn’t been good since Vince Manze left. Honestly, he ran the best promo department in the biz. John Miller was also a guru. What has happened since they left…. a whole lot of nothing.

Comment by Ted C. — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 8:21pm PDT
  • So now Ironside joins the roster of tv series remakes that didn’t pan out. It isn’t that they remake old shows that I object to – I actually like the idea. It is that they do it so badly. They just can’t leave well enough alone. They have to “reimagine” them. Unfortunately, it is usually for the worse, with none of whatever made those shows hits in the first place.

Comment by Dee — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 2:07pm PDT
    • iconic actors..they’re hard to put someone else in their place.

Comment by Isa — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 8:51pm PDT
  • I can’t believe Ironside made it this long. I would’ve cancelled it the second somebody said hey, let’s remake Ironside.

Comment by lethargic — Friday October 18, 2013 @ 2:11pm PDT