Leighton Meester, Billie Joe Armstrong, Debra Messing To Star In Frank Whaley’s ‘Like Sunday, Like Rain’

EXCLUSIVE: Gossip Girl‘s Leighton Meester has been tapped to lead indie drama Like Sunday, Like Rain, the story of a struggling musician (Meester) who becomes the guardian of a 12-year-old music prodigy one summer. This is Ray Donovan actor Frank Whaley‘s fourth outing as writer and director after helming pics Joe The King, The Jimmy Show, and New York City Serenade. Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong will play the boyfriend of Meester’s character. Debra Messing has been cast as the mother of the boy, who’ll be played by newcomer Julian Shatkin. J Smith Cameron (Rectify, Margaret) rounds out the cast. Filming is underway in New York with BB Films’ Uri Singer, FJ Productions’ Fabio Golombek, and Jim Jones, Trippe Lonian and TJ DeMark of Willhouse Media executive producing and Tagline Pictures’ Josh Kesselman and Danny Sherman producing. Meester, who sang a few tunes in Country Strong and appears in WB’s 2014 drama The Judge with Robert Downey, Jr., is repped by WME, Leverage, and Stone Meyer Genow. Whaley is repped by APA and Thruline Entertainment. Armstrong is repped by Gersh and PPM, INC. Messing is repped by Gersh and 3 Arts. Cameron is repped by Gersh. Shatkin is repped by Innovative Artists and Invictus Entertainment.

• Can’t wait to see Billie Joe acting!

Comment by Suszi — Wednesday September 18, 2013 @ 2:13pm PDT
    • I cant either he’s sooo hot!!!

Comment by Chrystal — Wednesday September 18, 2013 @ 7:40pm PDT
    • Ever seen Green Day live?
      That’s Billie Joe Armstrong acting.

Comment by bobby snatch — Thursday September 19, 2013 @ 2:07am PDT
  • I wouldn’t call Leighton a great actress, but she was always more interesting than anyone else on Gossip Girl. I suspect she’ll be around longer as well.

Comment by RLS — Wednesday September 18, 2013 @ 4:44pm PDT
  • Leighton Meester is a great actress! Glad she’s getting movie roles.

Comment by Lilly — Wednesday September 18, 2013 @ 5:14pm PDT
  • OMIGOD BILLIE JOE ARMSTRONG. OMIGOD. *BREATHE* DIES. Anyone know when it’s coming out? And omgee, such a big Gossip Girl fan too, and Leighton Meester is definitely one of the best actresses on it :) (+ her character is my fave :3).

Comment by Naomi — Thursday September 19, 2013 @ 9:08am PDT
  • I’ll watch this movie. For Billie of course.

Comment by Cody — Thursday September 19, 2013 @ 10:20am PDT
  • “Leighton Meester is another bad-ass I am thrilled to have in this film. When Leighton Meester gets on set and I offer her a piece of direction she almost always just looks at me very calmly and says “Okay” in a near-whisper, and then proceeds to chew up, then spit out, then throw across the room a performance with a power and depth ten times wider and deeper than I had thought even existed in the role! If you watch her face you can see that what she’s saying, she’s not always thinking. It’s that contradiction in the presentation of character that gives her performance a richness and watch-ability, and why so many people want to see what she’s going to do next! Well, what she’s doing in this film is gonna blow you away.” – James Mottern, director of God Only Knows

Leighton’s performances are so underrated tbh. You probably saw the shitty parts of GG where the writers keep stunting her growth as a character. But when she gets into the quiet or the big moments, she truly shines.

Comment by Sandy — Thursday September 19, 2013 @ 10:42am PDT
  • See BJA in the season premier of Nurse Jackie, “Kettle-Kettle-Black-Black”

Comment by MrsP — Thursday September 19, 2013 @ 11:42am PDT
    • The season 4 premiere, that is.

Comment by MrsP — Thursday September 19, 2013 @ 11:43am PDT
  • I’m so happy! I love Leighton Meester, she was always my favorite on Gossip Girl. I really hope she gets the recognition she truly deserves this time.

Comment by Christina — Thursday September 19, 2013 @ 10:33pm PDT
  • I Love Debra Messing…great actress and such a beauty. I look forward to this film because of her! They are fortunate to have a real actress in this movie. Undoubtedly, she will be the strongest professional on the set.

Comment by Valesca — Saturday September 21, 2013 @ 4:27pm PDT
  • What exactly do you mean by that? I’d honestly like to know!

Comment by May — Sunday September 22, 2013 @ 11:32am PDT