‘Jurassic’s Joseph Mazzello Grows Into Hyphenate Role With ‘Undrafted’

Joseph Mazzello, the kid from Jurassic Park, is getting underway with his feature directorial debut Undrafted, a baseball film that stars Aaron Tveit, Matt Barr, Chace Crawford, Tyler Hoechlin, Mazzello, Manny Montana, Philip Winchester, Billy Gardell and James Belushi. Dead Fish Films’ Eric Fischer and Brianna Johnson are producing with Mazzello’s Parlay Pictures and Crawford is exec producer. Mazzello wrote the script based on his brother’s experience as a collegiate baseball star who was skipped over in the Major League Baseball draft. An intramural baseball game with his misfit teammates then becomes incredibly important to him as he tries to come to grips with his dashed dreams.

“I watched for 15 years as my brother worked tirelessly to make his dream come true only to see it never happen and it was heartbreaking,” says Mazzello. “During that time I saw the love he and his teammates had for each other and for the game that is the heart of our story.” Mazzello first surfaced as an adult in HBO’s The Pacific and The Social Network. After the child actor thing, he went and got a degree from USC’s Film Production Program and realizes a dream with his scripting/helming debut. He hooked up with Fischer, to whom the script was very relevant since he pitched in the Chicago White Sox and Minnesota Twins organizations before veering into film.

• It’s nice to see that he’s doing well for himself.

Comment by steven — Wednesday September 25, 2013 @ 9:14am PDT
  • Had me at Aaron Tveit.

Comment by Sal — Wednesday September 25, 2013 @ 9:18am PDT
  • Um, the “kid from Jurassic Park”?!? Have you seen The Pacific? Mazello gives an AMAZING performance in that HBO mini-series.

Comment by J. Lawrence — Wednesday September 25, 2013 @ 10:19am PDT
    • Agreed, he was amazing as Sledge. Loved that series (although BAND OF BROTHERS is still my favorite) Seems like a talented guy. Good for him, looking forward to this.

Comment by wga writer — Wednesday September 25, 2013 @ 11:52am PDT
  • I thought he was great in the Pacific…never connected him to Jurassic Park. I’m also impressed with his ability to navigate his way through the business while attending USC. I’d like to see more stories like this on the TMZ’s of the world. Good for you, kid.

Comment by Evelyn Taylor — Wednesday September 25, 2013 @ 10:58am PDT
  • This is great news for a great guy. I think everyone will be surprised where his career goes. He could be another Ron Howard.

Comment by Kiss0fdeath — Wednesday September 25, 2013 @ 12:23pm PDT
  • He sounds like a talented guy, but goodness gracious that has to be the most boring non-baseball baseball movie idea I ever heard. A guy who doesn’t make it. Huh? Something tells me this movie will be “looking for financing”… permanently.

Comment by Pavo — Wednesday September 25, 2013 @ 2:22pm PDT
    • They have financing and they’re almost done shooting.

Comment by Tom — Wednesday September 25, 2013 @ 3:35pm PDT
    • then go rent “Moneyball”. I like this idea. It’s truer to life than all the “I made it!” movies. Hopefully it won’t have some cop-out, inspirational Hollywood ending.

Comment by terrence — Thursday September 26, 2013 @ 2:31am PDT
  • Glad hes making his film, even more pleased hes had a normal and heathly upbringing.

Comment by hot dumb italian mike — Wednesday September 25, 2013 @ 5:33pm PDT
  • Duke Davis Roberts is also going to be in the film. I’ve seen him in a lot of small stuff, he’s seriously incredible. Hope he’s in a good potion of it

Comment by Megan Boykoff — Wednesday September 25, 2013 @ 10:11pm PDT