UPDATE: ‘Rizzoli & Isles’ Stops Production Following Lee Thompson Young’s Death

2ND UPDATE: Rizzoli & Isles will stay dark tomorrow as the producers continue to evaluate the situation.

UPDATE, 12:25 PM: Production on TNT’s hit drama Rizzoli & Isles has been shut down in light of the sudden passing of co-star Lee Thompson Young, whose body was discovered in his apartment after he failed to show up for work this morning. The producers of the series, in which Thompson played star Angie Harmon’s partner on the force, are currently evaluating whether to resume production tomorrow or go on hiatus while the cast and crew cope with Young’s death and writers figure out how to write off his character. Here is TNT, Rizzoli & Isles‘ studio Warner Bros TV and executive producer Janet Tamaro’s statement today on Young’s death: “Everyone at Rizzoli & Isles is devastated by the news of the passing of Lee Thompson Young. We are beyond heartbroken at the loss of this sweet, gentle, good-hearted, intelligent man. He was truly a member of our family. Lee will be cherished and remembered by all who knew and loved him, both on- and offscreen, for his positive energy, infectious smile and soulful grace. We send our deepest condolences and thoughts to his family, to his friends and, most especially, to his beloved mother.”

PREVIOUS 11:30 AM: Rizzoli & Isles co-star Lee Thompson Young has died in apparent suicide. He was 29. “It is with great sadness that I announce that Lee Thompson Young tragically took his own life this morning”, said Young’s long-time manager Jonathan Baruch. “Lee was more than just a brilliant young actor, he was a wonderful and gentle soul who will be truly missed. We ask that you please respect the privacy of his family and friends as this very difficult time.” Young played Detective Barry Frost on TNT’s flagship drama Rizzoli & Isles, which was just renewed for a fifth season. He started his acting career early as the lead of Disney Channel’s first original series, The Famous Jett Jackson, executive produced/directed by Shawn Levy.I am stunned and truly saddened by the news of Lee’s passing,” Levy said. “I met Lee when he was 13 years old. He came in and auditioned for the pilot of Disney Channel’s The Famous Jett Jackson. I can still vividly recall the dynamism and presence of this golden kid, who came in so full of talent and confidence and light. I spent several years working with Lee on our series, during which time we collaborated closely and began our careers. Lee was an amazing actor, an incredible, driven athlete, a voracious student, both in school and out, a loving and loyal son and a great and treasured friend to me and the many other people whose lives he entered. There’s no telling what great things he would have accomplished, onscreen and off, and it’s heartbreaking that now we will never know.” Disney Channel also weighed in on Young’s death. “Nothing any of us can say will adequately express our sadness over Lee’s untimely passing — our thoughts are with his loved ones and the many fans of his work,” a spokesperson said. The South Carolina-born Young also co-starred on UPN’s South Beach and recurred on FlashForward, Scrubs and Smallville. His feature credits include Friday Night Lights, Akeelah And The Bee and The Hills Have Eyes 2.

• RIP Jett Jackson

Comment by JR — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 11:36am PDT
    • I hope they appreciate how good he was in contrast to the others on the show. He was a great part of the show and made me laugh when he went at it with the old dude.

RIP my friend.

Comment by hello — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 4:08pm PDT
      • to “hello” .. what a time to be critical! And then add you like when he “went at it with the “old dude”?? You are an idiot.

Comment by Michele — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 9:51pm PDT
      • First of all you are an IDIOT, News like this saddens me deeply.
        My sincere condolences to Mr Young’s family, cast and friends.
        He will be sadly missed, I will miss his infectious smile…

Comment by Ernie — Tuesday August 20, 2013 @ 10:09am PDT
    • Your all a Team. You worked by each others side that made you feel like you were all Family. Mr. Young wouldn’t want you to not take time for your selves to grieve. But Mr. Young does want you to remember the Good Times and take time to reflect on your own lives as well. It just means that we now need to be in touch with the people we Love and always let them know that there is “ALL WAYS A SHOULDER TO CRY OR LEAN ON” and “You wouldn’t stop Loving Them No Matter how big or small the problem or concern is!” Take the Time OFF. Have a Party and Remember the Good in every thing you all have accomplished together. Love you and your in our Prayers!! Jodi

Comment by Jodi — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 5:28pm PDT
      • That was so beautifully spoken. I pray much peace, tranquility, reflections of a mother’s heart, & God’s Sweet Grace upon his precious Mother. & all who loved him. I pray your heart’s be uplifted, to find peace & understanding. I know when something like this happens, there are several stages of grief. The first two you’ll be in another world of your own in your mind. Then you go through being mad at God & the world. Mad because you couldn’t do anything. You’ll feel helpless, & then you’ll realize, that your loved one’s love you so much, it hurts them to see you this way. My son just looked at me…like…what about me Mama? I am still here with you look. Then you just get one good cry out. Then the healing begins. It’s wonderful to do little things. Go to the burial site & plant your flowers, bench’s, lights…little figurines…I can say the pain of loosing your loved one. You just have to believe that where they are, is an amazing wonderful place. People who commit suicide..whatever the reason..are very hurt in their thoughts. Something that they can not get relief from. So they are literally in mental pain & torture. With God’s grace & forgiveness they are no longer in pain. God Bless

Comment by ladyblueii — Friday August 23, 2013 @ 7:49pm PDT
    • I’m so heartbroken for his family and his work frineds, that become family. He seemed like such a gentle soul. Peace be with him. Sure God has him wrapped in his arms. Family and friends are in my prayers.

Comment by Linda — Tuesday August 20, 2013 @ 7:59pm PDT
    • I am very sadden by this news. I didn’t know this until today after watching the show on my DVR. I sat here and cried. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. If there wasn’t a note left his poor family will always be asking why. I hope he left something for them. God Bless to all

Kara Baltimore Maryland

Comment by Anonymous — Wednesday August 21, 2013 @ 11:33am PDT
    • Lee you join my 16 yr old nephew he too was a kind, gentle, loving young man who left us far too soon w/ questions just as your family
      has that can only be answered when were re-united in heaven.

Comment by Marie — Wednesday August 21, 2013 @ 4:46pm PDT
  • very sad. He’ll be missed. My condolences to his family

Comment by rob — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 11:37am PDT
    • OMG. We watch Rizzoli & Isles every day. Re-runs to new. I want his Family to know that we are Deeply Sorry for Their Loss and may God Comfort them in healing. It will take a lot for this Family to come to realization of WHY??? We will truly miss Mr. Young. And for Fan’s like us it will take time because we Feel Their Hurt and wonder our selves “Could have anyone known what was going on with him that knew him not notice a change in Mr. Young to know or feel this was a Big Concern that could have been a voided?” I just can’t close my mouth of OH My God! My husbands in a area that doesn’t get cell phone right now but he’s going to fall back in his chair with disbelief. I’m So Sorry!! With Love and the Blessing of God… Jodi from Salem Oregon.

Comment by Jodi — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 5:09pm PDT
  • So sad he did not get help

Comment by Anonymous — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 11:40am PDT
  • This is terribly sad news. Although I never watched R&I, I really liked Lee Thompson Young on the series “FlashForward” as well as his shorter stint on “Smallville”.

Such a handsome young man with a lot of potential.

R.I.P.

Comment by CynicalCritic — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 11:42am PDT
  • What a tragedy. Goodbye, Lee. Hope you are in peace.

Comment by Carol — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 11:43am PDT
  • I clicked on the link expecting to learn that some old person had died that I had never heard of. Instead, I discovered that a young person, whom I also had never heard of prior, seems to have died too early.

If he were older, at least I could at least take his advanced years to mean that that he at least had lived a bit.

As such things go, he looks too young to have lived at all, which is a tragedy.

Comment by Brian — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 11:43am PDT
    • Well said sir.

Comment by Michelle — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 12:06pm PDT
    • Very well said. I am so saddened by this news. I watch R&I every week and will miss his onscreen presence very much, but will know that he is there even if we don’t see him. Be at peace. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

Comment by Cooper — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 1:48pm PDT
      • How will he be there if we cant see him? Its a sad day for all. So shocked and saddening that this happened. I cant imagine how they will continue the show.

Comment by Corso — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 4:49pm PDT
      • I agree totally with your comment. I just don’t understand why so many young people think that suicide is the answer. So very sorry for his family especially his mom. I just can’t imagine her sorrow. And for his R&I family who loved him so much. Seems he had a lot of support and people who truly loved him…why did he do this?? That question will never be answered, sadly. I just hope that he has found his peace now. So very sad.

Comment by Linda Moore — Tuesday August 20, 2013 @ 12:47pm PDT
    • my heart is touched with sadness over the lost of this talented soul. I always watched his latest show and enjoyed his talent.
      I feel I’ve lost a family member. Rest in peace.

Comment by ms young — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 2:31pm PDT
    • My sincere condelences and sympathy to his family, friends and co-workers. My prayers to all of you at this most tragic time.

Comment by Dee — Tuesday August 20, 2013 @ 4:54pm PDT
  • Tragic…

Comment by Anonymous — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 11:45am PDT
  • Too young. Very Sad.

Condolences to his family, friends and co-workers.

Comment by FTCS — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 11:49am PDT
  • This is so sad. My condolences to his family and friends.

Comment by cole — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 12:00pm PDT
  • I also clicked on the link expecting to not know who it was… I just didn’t know his name, I’m sorry to say. I do watch R&I occasionally, and I also remember him from Smallville. So sorry to hear this.

Comment by Laura — Monday August 19, 2013 @ 12:01pm PDT