Lifetime Orders Backdoor Pilot From Nicholas Sparks

Lifetime has greenlighted Deliverance Creek, a two-hour backdoor pilot from Nicholas Sparks Prods. and Warner Horizon Television. Written by Melissa Carter, the period project is set at the end of the Civil War and centers on Belle Barlowe who attempts to defend her family‚Äôs land by any means necessary. When the corrupt bank that runs their town pushes Belle into becoming an outlaw, the stakes become personal, setting off a chain of events that force her to question whether it’s better to be good or to survive. This marks the first pilot for Sparks and his publishing agent/creative partner Theresa Park’s TV production company, which the two launched in spring 2012 with a first-look deal at WBTV, tapping UTA agent Elise Henderson as head of development. Sparks and Park will executive produce Deliverance Creek with Carter, while Henderson serves as co-executive producer. Deliverance Creek joins hourlong Lifetime pilots, HR, which stars Alicia Silverstone, and recently greenlighted Unreal. Carter is repped by Rob Golenberg.

• I hope there’s an original twist in here somewhere or this is like a hundred other stories we’ve already watched.

Comment by cali — Tuesday August 13, 2013 @ 5:01pm PDT
    • Here’s an idea: since it’s the end of the Civil War, the characters could be black! A very disruptive and dangerous time for newly-freed slaves. All sorts of drama.

…but we know without being told the characters are white. Snore.

Comment by meh — Tuesday August 13, 2013 @ 6:53pm PDT
  • Was on a staff with Melissa. Very talented writer and a great person. Looking forward to this one.

Comment by Writer — Tuesday August 13, 2013 @ 5:18pm PDT
  • Lifetime continues to be a lost cause. What a horrible, waste of a network.

Comment by Digby — Tuesday August 13, 2013 @ 6:58pm PDT
    • Kissing in the rain, characters with no subtext, misogynistic and racist undertones, Sparks and LIfetime are a match made in heaven!

Comment by Sally Be Good — Wednesday August 14, 2013 @ 3:02pm PDT
      • I accept that Lifetime, and Nicholas Sparks, is not for everyone. Neither are soap operas, so called “reality shows”, Steven King, and E.L. James. I am a male senior citizen, I am a writer, and I am a conservative. I enjoy being able to read a book, or watch a movie, that I am not ashamed to have my grandchildren share with me. And thank you for the compliment, I also think that Nicholas Sparks and Lifetime are heavenly.

Comment by Jerry L. Haynes — Thursday September 5, 2013 @ 4:59am PDT
  • I can’t wait I love Nicholas sparks movie so I def can’t wait to see the pilot

Comment by Jodi — Tuesday August 13, 2013 @ 7:33pm PDT
  • I have read all Nicholas sparks books and have seen all the movies adapted from his books. Not a fan of Lifetime simply because their movies seem to be the same. “Girl in trouble. Knight n shining armor to her rescue”. Hope desperate Creek will have some substance. When will it be broadcast?

Comment by Gay Eagleston — Tuesday August 13, 2013 @ 8:08pm PDT
  • I do not like Lifetime movies, usually, but I have been finding that I really enjoy their most recent shows, The Client List and Devious Maids. This girl used to be a huge lifetime hater lol

Comment by Liz Bartman — Tuesday August 13, 2013 @ 8:30pm PDT
  • when will we be able to see this? Which network?

Comment by Bonnie Cadwell — Tuesday August 13, 2013 @ 8:44pm PDT
  • Sparks continues to surprise me. I think this is a great story. Back in those days strong women were rare and corrupt banks were not unheard of because of the railroad and recovery of the war. I can’t wait for the pilot.

Comment by vicki — Tuesday August 13, 2013 @ 10:22pm PDT
  • God, not yet another Sparks’ tearjerker.

Comment by Granada — Tuesday August 13, 2013 @ 10:23pm PDT
  • I wonder who gets to write the letters that never get read. I assume Belle writes them.
    And who’s gonna get cancer?? Probably one of her parents.
    And last but not least, are they going to do the obligatory kissing in the rain scene once per season or every episode?

Comment by Feedback — Tuesday August 13, 2013 @ 11:29pm PDT