Hot Amblin TV Sci-Fi Spec ‘Extant’ Lands At CBS With 13-Episode Order For Summer ’14

After making waves in the marketplace, the sci-fi drama spec Extant from new writer Mickey Fisher and Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television has landed at CBS with a straight-to-series order for 13 episodes to air next summer. On CBS, Extant will join another serialized sci-fi drama from Amblin TV, Under The Dome, which was recently renewed for next summer after a breakout freshman run. Broadcast, basic and premium cable networks were all heavily pursuing Extant, which hit the market a couple of weeks ago. Most suitors offered production commitments, making the choice difficult, with the producers mulling whether to go lighter with the material on broadcast or darker on cable. I hear the winning pitch by CBS’ Nina Tassler was that the network successfully launched Amblin’s Under The Dome, which also was a 13-episode straight-to-series order, and that Extant could be paired with the Stephen King adaptation to form a Steven Spielberg night.Extant, which CBS TV Studios will co-produce with Amblin TV, is a futuristic thriller about a female astronaut trying to reconnect with her family when she returns after a year in outer space. Her experiences lead to events that ultimately will change the course of human history. “Extant is a very original concept with layers of humanity, mystery and surprise that reveal itself throughout the script,” Tassler said. “Our partnership with Amblin for Under The Dome showed that viewers respond to high-quality event programming in the summer. We look forward to building on that with Extant and offering CBS audiences another high-concept, unique event for summer television.”

Spielberg, who not always lends his name to Amblin series, is executive producing Extant with Greg Walker, who serves as showrunner, Fisher, Fisher’s manager Brooklyn Weaver and Amblin TV’s Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank. Adam Rodin will co-produce. The series, which was packaged and sold by WME, will be distributed worldwide by CBS Studios International. Like Under The Dome, which streams on Amazon four days after the CBS premiere, Extant will likely too get a short-window digital distribution deal.

• “unique event for summer television” I could be wrong,but,wasn’t Under The Dome also supposed to be an “unique event” which CBS has now ruined by dragging it (and its’ viewers patience) out for another season? I most likely won’t be watching Extant. I’m not falling for this again Cbs.As the saying goes,Fool me once,shame on you Fool me twice,shame on me.

Comment by RetroGal — Wednesday August 7, 2013 @ 1:16pm PDT
  • This script is way better than Under the Dome too… SO hoping the execution of it is kick ass!

Comment by JJ — Wednesday August 7, 2013 @ 1:16pm PDT
  • Congratulations to Mickey Fisher. I love reading about young writers breaking through in such a big way, it’s inspiring and it’s what this business should strive to do more of. It’s a really good script. Straight to series good? Not in my opinion but I’m not Nina Tassler. But what is the series? I’m sure Mickey knows – anyone with such a great creative mind probably knows where 13 episodes go, and hopefully his direction is stronger and more confident than Under the Dome’s. That show had an amazing pilot but is one of the worst dramas launched all year, and is quickly running out of what was already limited real estate, literally and story-wise. The last several episodes have been cringe-inducing. It went from being the show I was most excited to see to being the show I’m most excited to mock. But Dreamworks, dude, how do such lazy producers keep getting so many frikkin lay-ups? I’ve worked with a lot of people and my experience with them was one of the worst. I’m impressed and worn weary at the same time. Most importantly congrats to Mickey Fisher! Great script, great world, I will watch your show.

Comment by j — Wednesday August 7, 2013 @ 1:17pm PDT
    • Here! Here!

Comment by Babz — Thursday August 8, 2013 @ 12:59pm PDT
    • Uh… It sounds fun…but is everyone sure he wrote the treatment? I heard this same pitch, exactly…EXACTLY, at the Hollywood Pitchfest in the summer of 2010. And not from Mr. Fisher.

Comment by Tarus Khan — Sunday September 1, 2013 @ 7:11pm PDT
  • Always amazing to see a young unrepped writer get scooped up out of a screenwriting contest and hit an immediate home run. Kudos to Brooklyn Weaver for getting this across the finish line!

Goes to show that talent finds a way through; and connections aren’t necessary.

Comment by yes — Wednesday August 7, 2013 @ 1:26pm PDT
  • Spielberg has a horrible track record on TV. I don’t know why his involvement is ever considered a selling point.

Comment by Mks — Wednesday August 7, 2013 @ 1:36pm PDT
  • Good for all involved. What does this say about our business? Speilberg the king of summer fair will now be the king of summer tv. Good for him, so much great content on the “boob tube” these days.

Comment by Wga writer — Wednesday August 7, 2013 @ 1:47pm PDT
  • Walker is a great guy and good showrunner. They’re lucky to have him on board.

Comment by Thetrooth — Wednesday August 7, 2013 @ 1:49pm PDT
  • Awesome — way to go Fisher!

Comment by Orb — Wednesday August 7, 2013 @ 2:00pm PDT
  • NOOOOOOO! This was, literally, the ONLY network I was hoping wouldn’t get it. They’ll take an interesting, original concept like this and make it as bland as humanly possible, just you wait and see. As a sci-fi lover, I’d love to wrong, but I highly doubt it.

Comment by Kat — Wednesday August 7, 2013 @ 2:03pm PDT
  • From the guy who successively ran his own show into the ground?

Comment by Walker: Vegas Ruiner — Wednesday August 7, 2013 @ 2:08pm PDT
    • And don’t forget ‘Without a Trace’. That show went downhill when Walker was put in charge of it.

Comment by Pete — Wednesday August 7, 2013 @ 7:05pm PDT