Ensemble Comedy From Breckin Meyer Goes To NBC With Penalty

EXCLUSIVE: Actor Breckin Meyer is establishing himself as an in-demand series creator. Thursdays, an ensemble single-camera from the Men At Work creator, has landed at NBC with a script order plus penalty. The project, from Sony TV, where Meyer is under an overall deal, and studio-based Fanfare, revolves around a group of male friends and a weekly Thursday guys dinner that has become a tradition in their busy, chaotic lives. Meyer is co-writing the script with Jesse Stern (NCIS) and will executive produce alongside Fanfare’s Jamie Tarses. Thursdays further expands Meyer’s relationship with Sony TV and Fanfare which are also behind his starring vehicle as an actor, TNT dramedy Franklin & Bash, as well as his first series as a creator, TBS comedy Men At Work, which was recently renewed for a third season. Meyer, repped by ICM Partners, Thruline and David Weber, previously worked as a writer on Adult Swim’s Robot Chicken, on which he also is a voice cast member. He also co-wrote an episode of Franklin & Bash last year.

• Now that DOES sound like a comedy — a not funny actor is writing it with a guy who wrote NCIS.

Comment by Ed — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 8:54am PDT
    • Jesse Stern is actually a very funny and brilliant writer. He left NCIS at the perfect time to do bigger and better things. I think we’ll be seeing a lot more of him.

Comment by Afan — Thursday September 19, 2013 @ 2:41pm PDT
  • So it’s Men at Work meets Friday Night Dinner? Yeah, I could see this being good.

Comment by Zachary — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 9:36am PDT
  • As a mid-level writer who dreams of being a creator…I quit.
    Network TV sucks and this show is why.
    In years past, I would see ideas sell that I was jealous of, not because they sold but because they were original, sharp, good ideas with potential for critical or commercial success. I would read about them and think, wow, wish I had thought of that.
    Now it’s idea after idea selling from my discard pile, those old dried up ideas lower and mid-level writers don’t even dream of pitching. All network TV is now is a club of mediocrity…the same pods, the same writers, the same execs rewarding them for their previous mediocrity.
    I’m out. Good luck!

Comment by Story Editor — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 10:03am PDT
    • go cable.

Comment by reality — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 10:17am PDT
    • 3 words: Parks and Recreation.

Although I really don’t know if the show can survive without Jones and Lowe. So now there is Brooklyn Nine-Nine which will hopefully replace it as the best show on broadcast. This has been more than 3 words.

Comment by Zachary — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 10:22am PDT
      • Brooklyn Nine-Nine is basically unwatchable.

Comment by Anonymous — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 12:35pm PDT
      • Parks and Rec fell off two seasons ago, and hasn’t been consistently funny since. The only real laughs this season came from Jenny Slate’s guest appearances. The writers gave Ann a case of personality anorexia that worsened each year. Lowe’s character was one-note, and really shouldn’t have been on for more than one season.

Comment by jess — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 1:21pm PDT
        • That’s a load of crap. You say Parks and Rec fell of two seasons ago? The fourth season was its best, with the campaign, Paul Rudd and an epic finale. That scene when Ron confronts Mike O’Malley over the bus scam was one of the best moments of the show. And if anything, Jenny Slate was the worst part about last year. I like Jenny Slate, but Mona Lisa was kinda annoying. Ann may have been a bit bland, but there’s a reason for that. Ansari, Pratt and Plaza can be a bit over the top. Well, Plaza isn’t “over the top” per se, but she can be a bit grating at times. Rashida Jones and Adam Scott absorb all the craziness that goes on in the show. And Rob Lowe, I guess Chris was sort of a love him or hate him character. Sure he is a one note joke (ooh, he’s super healthy!) but I thought Lowe really delivered it well. I will never tire of him saying “literally” or “Ann Perkins”. Some people will. The best part about him was he is the only one who brings the energy the same way that Amy Poehler does. They always seemed like they were having the most fun.

As for Brooklyn Nine-Nine, I really disagree with the guy who said it was unwatchable. It is, IMO, the second best comedy pilot this year (after Sirens). And there are a lot of good comedies. There’s also a lot of bad ones. But what I liked about B99, was it is the only broadcast pilot where nobody learns any lessons. It isn’t preachy. It’s just 100% fun. Sirens is like that, just with more dark humor and sharper dialogue.

Comment by Zachary — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 2:29pm PDT
    • I guess the lesson here is to get an actor (any actor, obviously) to co-write an underwhelming idea and get yourself a pilot script order.

Comment by another story editor — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 10:55am PDT
    • I feel and agree with your pain.

Comment by me — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 2:13pm PDT
  • Jesse Stern’s brilliant quick repartee is second to none!

Comment by Mom — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 10:06am PDT
  • Amen!

Comment by Bored — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 10:13am PDT
  • Soon, Sons of Anarchy and Walking Dead will be back, and my DVR will start recording again, since comedies (even on cable) are generally really stale and “reality” shows are constantly plumbing new lows. Just deleted my last series recording of a netopwrk comedy with the 5 episodes from last season I never watched.

Comment by doubtful — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 11:18am PDT
  • To paraphrase Roger Ebert. It’s not what a show is about, it’s how it is about it.

Comment by SittingPat — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 12:35pm PDT
  • They have Jesse Stern. NCIS’s loss and the new show’s gain.
    Go Jesse and Breckin.

Comment by Bellz — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 7:14pm PDT
  • An NBC sitcom called Thursdays about people who eat at a restaurant on Thursdays would most likely air on Thursdays.

Comment by steven — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 7:49pm PDT
  • These guys are awesome..wish I could have dinner with them…oh wait..

Comment by One of seven — Sunday September 8, 2013 @ 8:29pm PDT