CBS Set To Redevelop Jim Gaffigan Comedy

After lengthy negotiations, CBS has closed a deal with Sony Pictures TV to redevelop the Jim Gaffigan/Peter Tolan comedy, originally developed last season when it went to pilot. Unlike another CBS single-camera family comedy pilot from last season, The McCarthys (also from Sony TV), which is being re-piloted as a multi-camera sitcom, the Jim Gaffigan project will remain single-camera. Co-written by Gaffigan and Tolan, the project, inspired by Gaffigan’s real life, stars the comedian as the happily married and harried NYC father of five as he is in real life. I hear only Gaffigan from the cast of the original pilot is returning as the producers are taking a new look. Tolan and Gaffigan are executive producing with Michael Wimer and Alex Murray for Sony TV and Fedora Entertainment.

• Dump Tolan. Jim is great without him.

Comment by Fife — Friday August 2, 2013 @ 5:27pm PDT
  • Earth to Jim — do it yourself, get an advertiser and put it online. You’re letting a bunch of executive hacks (that never had the guts or talent to make it) ruin your expertise – great storytelling!

Comment by New World — Friday August 2, 2013 @ 5:34pm PDT
  • Alex M rocks!!!

Comment by B — Friday August 2, 2013 @ 5:45pm PDT
  • Tolan+Dave Chappelle=disaster
    Tolan+Denis Leary=brilliance

Hoping Tolan and Jim Gaffigan can channel the latter rather than the former.

Comment by Zachary — Friday August 2, 2013 @ 10:26pm PDT
  • I’m a fan and Jim’s obviously the star but his role in this pilot (script) was the only one that had funny moments. If you look at a model like Modern Family, different I know because it’s an ensemble, but all the characters get to be or try to be funny or at least get their moments. There’s something to be said for that. Everybody Loves Raymond, better example. But you get it. Make all the characters memorable. That’s my contribution to the forum tonight. And I want everyone to have a wonderful weekend too. There. I’ve done my part.

Comment by Frank — Friday August 2, 2013 @ 10:46pm PDT
  • Gaffigan should make a movie about Michael Larson who beat Press Your Luck by figuring out the game pattern. Savage Steve Holland should direct since he animated the Whammy character and would the behind the scenes people.

Comment by Russ — Saturday August 3, 2013 @ 4:24am PDT
  • Should I try for one more?

Ick, what a piece of shit. That script was totally unfunny. All the actors sucked. Jim Gaffigan is fat. No one will ever watch this. Just pass on it already.

Was that convincing? Sorry, Sony, I’m a little reverse-psychologied out.

Comment by Riff — Saturday August 3, 2013 @ 2:13pm PDT
    • Your comments about the actors “sucking” and Jim being fat have no place here — A) Those actors are fine, material and direction was not up to par. B) Jim’s weight is not an issue, So of the biggest names in comedy history are heavy set people. C)If you woulda have called Jim out because he was Gay or Black– Other people would be crying for your head on here — It’s time Fat People get the same consideration in terms of tolerance, I feel like they are becoming the “Unwanted Class” of humans and guys like Bloomberg are trying to make them illegal. I know this is a reach, but we should be aware of how our society holds them in disdain and promotes programs like Biggest Loser and Extreme Fat loss. Your use of FAT as hatred is as bad as the N-Word or F-word etc…

Comment by Dave — Saturday August 3, 2013 @ 9:10pm PDT