CBS Nabs Comedy From Lee Eisenberg, Gene Stupnitsky, Danny Chun And ABC Studios With Put Pilot Commitment

EXCLUSIVE: In a very competitive situation, CBS has landed Gorgeous Morons, a multi-camera comedy project from prolific writer-producers Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky and ABC Studios, with a big put pilot commitment. Co-created by Eisenberg, Stupnitsky and frequent collaborator/former Office head writer Danny Chun, all under overall deals at ABCS, Gorgeous Morons centers on two stunningly handsome but dumb brothers, a model and a personal trainer, who find their lives rocked by their new roommate, a female literature PhD. who is merely very attractive.

This is the biggest commitment from an outside network to a comedy project from ABC Studios in many years as the studio is stepping up its efforts to sell everywhere under new boss Patrick Moran. Both Moran and ABC Studios’ head of comedy Amy Hartwick came from 20th Century Fox TV, which, while aligned with Fox, supplies all major broadcast networks, so the goal was to not let vertical integration stand in the way of giving their projects the best chance of success. “Not everything is going to work at the studio’s sister network and therefore we want ABCS to afford our show creators enough options to find the right home for their material,” Hartwick said.

Eisenberg and Stupnitsky first came up with the idea for Gorgeous Morons last season when they ended up writing an adaptation of the British series Pulling for ABC Studios in addition to executive producing Trophy Wife. It has been a busy year for the duo¬† who landed four pilots, Trophy Wife and Pulling at ABC, Bad Teacher at CBS (based on the hit feature written by them) and Hello Ladies at HBO, three of which — Trophy Wife, Bad Teacher and Hello Ladies — went to series.¬†Heading into this development season, Eisenberg and Stupnitsky revisited the Gorgeous Morons idea but, with three shows on the air, they couldn’t write it by themselves and reached out to one of their go-to writers, Chun, with whom they worked on The Office and have since recruited for Hello Ladies and Trophy Wife. Chun, who will take lead in writing the script, is well liked at ABC Studios where he developed two projects last season, one for ABC and one for Fox. Deemed not a good fit for ABC, Gorgeous Morons was taken to the other major broadcast networks who I hear all bought it in the room as there is a very strong interest among the networks in multi-camera comedy at the moment, especially fresh takes on the classic half-hour format. CBS, the dominant player in the multi-camera genre, was particularly aggressive and ultimately nabbed the pitch. Gorgeous Morons would be a suitable companion for CBS’ Chuck Lorre series and has a vibe of a reversed Big Bang Theory of sorts. Eisenberg and Stupnitsky, repped by WME, Mosaic and Robert Offer, are executive producing through their Quantity production company headed by Emily Brecht. Exec producer Chun is repped by WME, Price Management and Ziffren Brittenham.

• the rich get richer…

Comment by wow — Monday August 12, 2013 @ 8:18am PDT
    • … and the bitter get bitterer.

Comment by burrrbank — Monday August 12, 2013 @ 9:50am PDT
      • And the smart get smarter, by not watching.

Comment by MexyMartini — Monday August 12, 2013 @ 3:04pm PDT
  • The title needs to be changed to Pretty Dumb.

Comment by Mks — Monday August 12, 2013 @ 8:48am PDT
  • Just reading the description – I hate it. Anyway, I thought that the term “moron” is unPC. One more network show to ignore.

Comment by MexyMartini — Monday August 12, 2013 @ 8:55am PDT
  • I’m normally a PC guy, but if moron is unPC then I am too. Moron is on of my favorite words. This sounds like an interesting show. Will watch.

Comment by Zachary — Monday August 12, 2013 @ 10:58am PDT
    • Zach, sorry, maybe it’s just because I’m miserable from a bad cold, but this show sounds about as exciting as washing a car. What do you find “interesting” about the premise? That’s not meant as sarcasm, I’m truly trying to understand what I’m not getting. (Yes, of course the answer could be Zach is an intern at CBS or ABC Studios, but I’m gonna go with the benefit of the doubt.)

Comment by Huh? — Monday August 12, 2013 @ 12:24pm PDT
      • I’m guessing you aren’t a fan of Zoolander, either.

Comment by hmm. — Monday August 12, 2013 @ 1:44pm PDT
      • I was half asleep when I wrote that. I think I meant the crew was interesting. I really don’t know what I was writing. Zoolander is pretty awesome.

Comment by Zachary — Monday August 12, 2013 @ 4:52pm PDT
  • Someone’s been watching a lot of “Big Bang Theory” repeats, eh Lee Eisenberg, Gene Stupnitsky and Danny Chun?

Comment by For Reelzz... — Monday August 12, 2013 @ 11:39am PDT
  • This bodes well for the spec I am going out with: “TWO AND A HALF WOMEN”. A nerdy single mom with a 10-year-old daughter, moves into her slutty sister’s Malibu beach house. So it really is this simple? I am going to start work right away on “TWO BROKE GUYS”, “SATURDAY NIGHT LIGHTS” and “BREAKING GOOD”. This is shaping up to be a great Monday!

Comment by Simple Simon — Monday August 12, 2013 @ 1:20pm PDT
    • well played

Comment by Realist — Monday August 12, 2013 @ 1:49pm PDT
  • Reading Deadline today makes me realize that multicams are back in a big way. So long the “multicam-shows are dead, and singlecame is the future” nonsense we’ve been hearing the last five years.

Comment by joshreader — Monday August 12, 2013 @ 6:43pm PDT
  • i’m glad multi-cam is still around!

Comment by no — Tuesday August 13, 2013 @ 12:03am PDT