A&E’s ‘Longmire’ And ‘The Glades’ Hit Season Highs In Finales, Await Renewal Decision

It was a good finish for A&E drama series Longmire and The Glades last night. The Season 2 finale of Longmire drew 4.4 million total viewers, 1.1 million adults 18-49 and 1.5 million A25-54, all season highs. Similarly, the Season 4 closer of The Glades averaged 3.4 million total viewers, 1.1 million A18-49 and 1.3 million A25-54, also season highs. But neither of the series knows its future beyond last night’s episodes. Last year, Longmire was renewed four weeks into its freshman run, while A&E pulled the trigger on a fourth season of The Glades in mid-September. There are several factors that likely play into A&E’s wait-and-see tactic on the two dramas. First, the network has a new management team as part of the recent reorganization at A&E parent A+E Networks, so they likely are re-examining the entire network portfolio. Additionally, neither of the two series is owned by A&E — Longmire comes from Warner Horizon and The Glades from Fox TV Studios — which usually gives networks extra incentive. A+E is now putting an emphasis on building its newly launched A+E Studios headed by former A&E head Bob DeBitetto. And A&E is in a very different position than the same time last year, boasting a bona fide scripted hit in Bates Motel. Still, Longmire remains A&E’s most-watched series. Yes, it skews older, but it still averaged some 5.4 million viewers (Live+7, most current) in Season 2, 19% more than Bates Motel, which rules the A&E demo roost. And Longmire‘s second season improved on Season 1 in the younger demos (up 6% in 18-49 and up 18% in 18-34) while keeping the total viewership virtually unchanged. The Glades is having a tougher time with season-to-season comparisons as its Season 4 is down double digits from Season 3 across the board. Still, it was the first A&E scripted series to stick and helped establish the network’s scripted brand. A&E is expected to make renewal decisions in the next couple of weeks.

• Stopped watching the Glades to much Yada Yada. Now Longmire’s season Finale grabbed me by the balls and didn’t let go. Cut the Glades renew Longmire.

Comment by dts3204 — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 4:22pm PDT
    • I couldn’t get into watching Glades due to too much yada yada. But Longmire I’ve enjoyed since it started and looking forward to another season. Great lead and supporting cast.

Comment by CC — Wednesday August 28, 2013 @ 7:13am PDT
      • I am so glad to hear that the show Longmire has been renewed!!! Love the show and the characters really keep my interest. It’s hard to wait for the next episode. Just wish the season was longer!! I am so sick of reality TV!!! It would be nice to have more shows on TV like Longmire.

Comment by Robin — Friday November 8, 2013 @ 6:33pm PST
      • THE GLADES IS A GREAT SHOW & SHOULD BE RENEWED. AND THE CLOWNS WHO CAN’T SEE THIS NEED TO TAKE A RECOUNT AS TO MILLIONS OF VIEWERS WHO WATCHED THE GLADES. I FOR 1 AM VERY PISSED OFF THAT YOU CANCELLED ONE OF THE BEST SHOWS ON T.V.

Comment by Anonymous — Sunday December 1, 2013 @ 8:27pm PST
    • Both Glades and Longmire beat anything else on TV. If they must drop one let it be glades, because Longmire is so compelling.
      But I would rather see both remain. Let us have a break from the phone realty tv.

Comment by Donna — Wednesday August 28, 2013 @ 3:03pm PDT

Comment by Anonymous — Wednesday August 28, 2013 @ 4:37pm PDT
    • DITTO

Comment by john taaffe — Thursday August 29, 2013 @ 8:33am PDT
    • We loved The Glades. Can’t believe A&E would cancell a show that is so well rated, doen’t make since when they should be wanting shows with this kind of ratings. Guess they will replace it with another dumb reality show.

Comment by fan123 — Sunday September 1, 2013 @ 9:21am PDT
      • Ditto

Comment by gloria — Wednesday October 2, 2013 @ 11:45am PDT
  • The Glades season ending cliffhanger looked like nothing but a desperate ploy to get another season

Comment by Proclone — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 4:27pm PDT
    • The Glades is a great show very trendy topics etc… I hope its not cancelled

Comment by christine gavi n — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 5:37pm PDT
      • I agree…I have loved The Glades since it started and I can’t wait to see what happens next! Please don’t cancel..it is one of the best shows!

Comment by Angie — Thursday August 29, 2013 @ 9:07am PDT
        • You can’t cancel and leave us hanging. It is a great show.

Comment by Janet Wyatt — Monday September 2, 2013 @ 5:37pm PDT
      • I enjoy The Glades every week it is on and can’t wait to see what happens in Season 5..I never watch reality TV and enjoy show like this so much, such a refreshing story that isn’t just about solving crime…a great mix! Love it Please do NOT cancel!!

Comment by Angie M — Thursday August 29, 2013 @ 9:11am PDT
    • I’m pretty sure that by the time Jim was shot and lying on the floor, the writers had no idea that the show would be cancelled. But on the plus side, we’ll still have the Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo, Fashion Police where all they do is criticize all the people’s style of dress. I think in America, it’s called DUMBING DOWN!

Comment by David Bowers — Sunday September 1, 2013 @ 8:18pm PDT
      • I completely enjoyed watching the Glade and am disappointed that is isn’t being renewed. There is entirely way too much garbage shows that supposedly are “reality” that I just refuse to watch and now one of the shows that I did enjoy is cance3lled. Just goes to show you about the mentality of who is making decisions for us about what we will watch.

Comment by Cjim1 — Sunday December 8, 2013 @ 1:40pm PST
  • Longmire needs to be renewed
    It has a great cast, great storyline

Comment by Deyna — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 4:34pm PDT
  • Love Longmire, please bring it back!

Comment by Jeannette — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 4:42pm PDT
    • please bring longmire back

Comment by John Taaffe — Thursday August 29, 2013 @ 8:36am PDT
    • Love Longmire….Bring it back. Great stories, great acting. The characters are wonderful.

Comment by Pat — Tuesday September 3, 2013 @ 3:47pm PDT
  • Please bring Longmire back, only show my Hubby will watch with me.

Comment by Di — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 4:54pm PDT
  • Listen to your viewers. Renew Longmire. Don’t make the mistake so many other networks have by canceling a great show in its prime. I, for one, don’t have much use for networks like that.

Comment by TN guy — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 5:04pm PDT
  • Bring back Longmire and cancel The Glades. Four seasons is more than enough for the dullest, most rigidly-formulaic solve-the-murder procedural on TV.

Comment by MoreTears — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 5:06pm PDT
    • I’m bored by Longmire, but I recognize it has a following. It doesn’t have any appeal for me though. I like Glades … It’s the only show on A&E I can even watch.

Comment by Anonymous — Thursday September 12, 2013 @ 9:13pm PDT
  • Love Longmire. Please give us more shows with great writing and acting and ditch all those reality shows. We have all OD’d on sulky chefs, spoiled surgery happy housewives and faux tough guys tracking bail jumpers, bears and/or ghosts. Geez Louise!

Comment by Carla — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 5:12pm PDT
    • I agree with you 1000 percent!!!

Comment by Robin — Friday November 8, 2013 @ 6:36pm PST
  • “Longmire” was great this season. I definitely hope it comes back.

Comment by Mark — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 5:13pm PDT
  • Please bring Longmire back…it’s so hard to find a show this captivating for its scenery and talent!

Comment by Claire — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 5:25pm PDT