Adam Rayner Lands The Lead In Howard Gordon’s Pilot ‘Tyrant’

EXCLUSIVE: After an extensive search, British actor Adam Rayner has been cast as the lead in the high-profile drama pilot Tyrant, from Homeland executive producers Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff and Six Feet Under alum Craig Wright. Created by Raff, developed by Gordon and Wright and to be directed by David Yates, FX’s Tyrant tells the story of an unassuming American family — Barry (Rayner), Molly and their kids — drawn into the workings of a turbulent Middle East nation. Gordon, Raff and Wright executive produce in association with Keshet Broadcasting. The Fox 21-produced project, which will film the pilot in Morocco, has a big commitment at FX and is expected to go to series. Rayner, repped by Paula Rosenberg, Innovative Artists and attorney Jamie Feldman, recently played the title role in the Simon West-directed pilot The Saint. He also co-starred opposite Melissa George on the Cinemax/BBC spy drama Hunted.

• I guess we don’t cast Americans in shows about American families anymore.

Comment by simon moreau — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 12:36pm PDT
    • Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the character is a Middle Eastern man living in the United States, who goes back to his home country with his American wife and kids. The real issue is if he looks Middle Eastern.

Comment by johnhelvete — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 12:58pm PDT
      • Find out and correct yourself if necessary – “I think” is not “I know.”

Comment by burrrbank — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 2:20pm PDT
        • He’s not the only one who had the impression the character was nonwhite. I thought so too and so did a lot of people posting in this thread. The bigger issue is, why do we need another show with a white male lead? Especially one where an Arab-American character would be more appropriate and far more interesting?

Comment by saffron — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 8:06pm PDT
      • Nothing screams Middle Eastern like white skin and blue eyes.

Comment by Looks Caucasian To Me — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 2:20pm PDT
      • Yeah, I thought the character was Arab-American but that actor isn’t remotely the right type. Too bad, because I thought it was a nice idea not to have some glaringly white guy in the lead role. Silly me.

Comment by another white guy? — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 8:04pm PDT
    • Like Haley Atwood, he has an American parent. So, technically, he’s just as American as you or I, although, he talks with a funny accent.

People from New Jersey also talk with a funny accent.

Comment by hoya — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 1:47pm PDT
      • Except for the fact that HE”S BRITISH. Which makes him…wait for it…NOT AMERICAN!

Look, if he’s great, I’m glad he got the part, but don’t try to sell this as an analogy to Haley Atwood–whoever that is.

Did you read the article?

Comment by Vincent Hanna — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 10:41pm PDT
  • So I guess The Saint isn’t going forward as a series?

Comment by Nona — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 12:41pm PDT
  • Hardly any American actors in American roles anymore.

Comment by Feesh — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 1:13pm PDT
  • Amazing script! Can’t wait to see the pilot. This guy isn’t exactly how I pictures “Barry”, thought he would beige frumpy. But pumped this is moving forward. It’s one of those scripts that after you read it you want to share it with other people.

Comment by Wga writer — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 2:09pm PDT
  • This character is middle eastern. Wtf

Comment by This business sucks — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 2:11pm PDT
  • There are actors in the U.S., too.

Just an fyi to Hollywood.

Comment by Truth Bringer — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 2:13pm PDT
  • Coffin meet nail. Show was gamble enough without casting someone audiences aren’t gonna care about.

Comment by Bob — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 2:48pm PDT
  • I think the bigger issue is not that a cast a Brit to play an American but they cast a white guy to play a middle easterner.

Comment by James — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 3:09pm PDT
  • Also…

“after an extensive search”

Throughout all of Britain and Australia, right?

Comment by Vincent Hanna — Thursday August 15, 2013 @ 10:44pm PDT