Ray Romano To Return To ‘Parenthood’

EXCLUSIVE: This is the news Parenthood fans had been waiting for — I’ve learned that Ray Romano has closed a deal to return to the quirky NBC dramedy next season, reprising his character as Sarah’s (Lauren Graham) boss/paramour Hank Rizzoli. I hear Romano will have a major presence, appearing in as many as 12-15 episodes, in line with the 14 episodes he did this season.

Parenthood‘s recent fourth season finale threw Hank’s future into question when Sarah turned down her handsome young fiancé Mark Cyr (Jason Ritter) for Hank, only to learn that Hank was moving to Minnesota to be near his daughter. I hear Romano’s decision to return stems from the great relationship he’d developed with Parenthood developer/executive producer Jason Katims working on the show, something he had enjoyed since joining the cast at the beginning of last season. The underrated Parenthood, which has been one of the most reliable NBC drama performers, is moving to the high-profile Thursday 10 PM slot this fall. Romano, repped by ICM Partners, Conversation Company and Jon Moonves, won an Emmy for his starring role on the CBS comedy Everybody Loves Raymond and co-created and starred on the praised TNT dramedy Men Of A Certain Age.

• More good news for this excellent show!

Comment by Unkystan — Thursday June 20, 2013 @ 6:09pm PDT
  • I’m so happy to hear he is coming back! He brought a lot of heart to an already terrific show. One of the most underrated shows on television.

Comment by Brittany — Thursday June 20, 2013 @ 6:12pm PDT
    • I absolutely agree with you! His character and Sarah were great together…not that I did not love Jason Ritter but I think Sarah needs someone like Hank to really get her to the next level. Ray Romano’s character really worked with Parenthood and I was sad to think he would not be bad.

Excellent news all around. I look forward to the show coming back even more!

Comment by Jaime — Thursday June 20, 2013 @ 7:01pm PDT
  • the show blows. it’s not like it’s Homeland or Breaking Bad or anything that in 10-20 years people will look back on and say wow, that shit was REALLY good.

Comment by so so — Thursday June 20, 2013 @ 6:18pm PDT
    • Clearly you did not watch the second season of Homeland. Also, Homeland and Breaking Bad are cable shows. You can’t compare Parenthood to those series. Parenthood is far and away the best drama on network television.

Comment by Sara — Thursday June 20, 2013 @ 8:30pm PDT
    • What you’re missing is that it’s not TRYING to be like Breaking Bad or Homeland! It’s a family drama! I don’t watch Parenthood, but your comparison is absurd, like saying “Finding Nemo is stupid, it was NOTHING like The Dark Knight.”

Comment by Potato — Thursday June 20, 2013 @ 8:53pm PDT
    • Homeland went absolutely off the rails during its second season and featured some of the most amateur plot gimmicks I’ve seen on television in quite a while. I have no idea why it continues to be praised. ‘Murrica, maybe? If you want a real counter terrorist thriller that will have you at the edge of your seat each season, check out 24.

Parenthood is one of the best shows on television! While I really didn’t like Romano’s character in the show and am disappointed his character will be returning I’m happy to see Parenthood get the attention it deserves.

Comment by joethehobo — Thursday June 20, 2013 @ 11:51pm PDT
      • I agree with you about Ray Romano’s character. I LOVED him on Everybody Loves Raymond but his character on Parenthood seems kind of smarmy or something. Not sure what it is but he doesn’t come across to me as likeable. Love the show, though! Hope it stays around for a few more years.

Comment by deb — Friday June 21, 2013 @ 10:27am PDT
  • One of the few comedians who actually gets to be a better and better actor with every show he does. It’s nice to see someone who doesn’t have to grow actually does

Comment by AMC76 — Thursday June 20, 2013 @ 6:21pm PDT
  • Not NBCs biggest flashiest performer, but hands down the drama they should be MOST proud to have in their line up. I’m so glad it’s back and thrilled they are finally giving it a good time slot. Ray Romano is surprisingly impressive in this more sedate, somber role. Best way for NBC to get their street cred back? Aim more at shows with real heart and substance like Parenthood, and even Chicago Fire and less at those big “hook” shows that leave us all empty.

Comment by Cam — Thursday June 20, 2013 @ 6:27pm PDT
  • Thank you, Jason Katims! Ray Romano added depth to the acting of Lauren Graham — whose character was teetering in ridiculous not-a-girl-not-yet-a-woman limbo for so long. Hank changed that. Unexpectedly, these 2 have chemistry that jumps off he screen as well. And Jason Ritter, God bless him, is likeable, but just too — meh. #vanilla

Comment by Sabrina Unfair — Thursday June 20, 2013 @ 6:37pm PDT
  • Wonderful to see how Ray has emerged as a really, really good actor!!
    This is great news all around.

Comment by intheknow — Thursday June 20, 2013 @ 6:58pm PDT
    • Yes, and remember when Raymond was almost canceled because he couldn’t act?

People get better. Develop. Unfortunately the secretaries in here watch Idol and Twilight have no clue about development. Bieber farted. He must be good.

Comment by Clit — Friday June 21, 2013 @ 8:01am PDT
  • Wonder if, since cbs has invaded nbc’s thursday comedy territory, this is a way for nbc to strike back at cbs by enlisting cbs’ former king of comedy? Your move cbs: seinfeld on the mentalist?

Comment by stefan — Thursday June 20, 2013 @ 7:49pm PDT
  • I remember when his casting was announced everyone thought it was horrible and now everyone is just praising him. Anyway I loved him in parenthood and glad he is coming back, love parenthood

Comment by Juan — Thursday June 20, 2013 @ 8:10pm PDT
  • Great guy but horrible arc… We tuned out everytime they cut to this story.

Comment by Loved Season 1 — Thursday June 20, 2013 @ 9:58pm PDT