TNT’s ‘Southland’ Cancelled After Five Seasons

Southland Cancelled TNTIt is the end of the road for Southland after five seasons, one on NBC and four on TNT. The critically praised cop show has been a source of pride for TNT brass who rescued the series after NBC dropped it before Season 2. “TNT has made the difficult decision not to renew Southland for another season,” the network said in a statement. “We are enormously proud of Southland, which stands as one of the best police dramas ever made.”

Southland most recently drew 1.8 million viewers for its fifth-season finale. With the end near, three of the show’s four main actors — Ben McKenzie, Regina King and Shawn Hatosy — booked pilots, with McKenzie playing the male lead in a drama produced by Southland studio and TNT sibling WBTV. There had been talk about about doing a movie or four-hour mini wrapping the story but insiders say the chances are slim as the economics of that would be hard to pull off. Southland‘s fifth-season finale now serves as a fitting series finale with the poignant title “Reckoning”. It came from two of the series’ three executive producers, written by Jonathan Lisco and directed by Chris Chulack, who also helmed the pilot.

With Dallas renewed and Southland cancelled, the only TNT series awaiting its fate is Monday Mornings, which is not expected to make it.

Related: TNT’s ‘Southland’ Cancelled After Five Seasons

• Will b sorely missed. A great show in all areas. The characters were damn real. You got to know them from the inside out.

Comment by Les borden — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 1:29pm PDT
    • Dallas gets renewed and south land gets canceled? That’s garbage. Now we’re stuck with season 32 of celebrity apprentice and ready for love. Can’t for Netflix to pick up south land series

Comment by Mike — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:04pm PDT
      • You’ve got that right Mike! Pap like Dallas and Scandal get renewed and Southland cancelled– it’s a crime. I rarely watch anything on network TV anymore. thank goodness for Cable.

Comment by Sally Smith — Thursday May 23, 2013 @ 6:18pm PDT
        • I agree with all the fans of SL. Why? Why? Why? must it always be the shows I like so much? I feel like a minority for liking quality programming that is not shallow and materialistic. SL made me hold my breath, cover my eyes from time to time, but it seemed so true to life for cops who have to work in hell. Major Bummer TNT! I feel the same about Monday Mornings and we merely got to taste that show. Oh well, Keep the good shows coming anyway…

Comment by Colette Conover — Sunday May 26, 2013 @ 5:12am PDT
          • Really a shame. Sorry see it go. I liked most of the aspects of the show. Especially the seeing cop life in a more realistic way. The first person to really show cops as how life really effects them was former LAPD cop Joseph Wambaugh. The first TV series that depicted cops more realistically was the 1970s TV series “Police Story ” based on Wambaugh’s books. Several movies were made too. The best movie and book was “The Onion Field.”

Comment by Jim — Tuesday August 27, 2013 @ 2:30pm PDT
      • I have to agree Dallas, for real. I am so sick of TV shows that do nothing more then dummy people down. Southland was gripping, intense at times and realistic I can not believe they would keep Dallas and cancel Southland. I was at one time a huge TNT fan but they are quickly joining the other Networks in having nothing of substance to offer there viewers this is sooooo upsetting for me.

Comment by Faith — Saturday September 14, 2013 @ 7:07pm PDT
    • This was the best series on television.

It’s sad that a show with such intelligence and honesty will be axed.

Comment by steve — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 5:04pm PDT
      • What a shame. It indeed was the best thing I have ever preen on tv!

Comment by Anonymous — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 8:29pm PDT
    • TNT has a history of cancelling good shows. I was outdone when Memphis Beat was cancelled. It was an excellent show.

Comment by Shelley — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 6:30pm PDT
      • I agree TNT show such as Franklin & Bash however semi entertaining are not cut but a provacative show like Southland gets the ax. Shame on you TNT. Also Monday Mornings deserved a chance.

Comment by Carrie — Monday May 13, 2013 @ 8:43pm PDT
    • I’m a retired cop. Although there were technical glitches in the writing for Southland (interrogations after lawyer was requested – big problem and “thefts” of story ideas from Joseph Wambaugh), it got more into the guts of what it’s like to work patrol than any TV show ever. Better than “Cops”, better than “Adam 12″, better even than Wambaugh’s series “Police Story”.

I’m sad to see it go. I will forever wonder what eventually happened between Sherman and Bryant, will Cooper survive his GSW’s, and did Sherman’s barrio love life finally bring him down?

I guess we’ll never know.

Comment by Jim Bryant — Monday May 13, 2013 @ 10:07am PDT
      • Southland is probably one of the most realistic shows that has ever been written and produced on TV to this point about police work . From the investigators to the street cops everyone including the turds know what to do and how to do it right,the B.S in the roll calls,and what takes place in their shops. Southland will be greatly missed

Comment by ken renk — Thursday May 16, 2013 @ 3:02pm PDT
        • This was by far one of the best shows on TV and shame on you TNT for cancelling this great show!!

Comment by Robert Cee — Thursday June 27, 2013 @ 7:01pm PDT
          • WTH?!!! I was attempting to figure out when the new (South Land)season would start and came across this post/blog; How the hell you guys cancel such a amazing, edge of the seat, action-packed & thought-provoking show? with all the reality(fake) show garbage on TV now, when the viewers, myself included, do find a quality show you “Exec’s” cancel it? are you serious? Well Damn.

I hope another network picks it up and shows you “Exec’s” what a massive error your decision was.

Shame, on you..TNT! Listen to the viewing audience!!

Comment by 1magine — Sunday August 18, 2013 @ 1:24am PDT
      • “BETTER” than Police Story?…I’d say it was a close tie.

Comment by Rick OBRIEN — Thursday July 4, 2013 @ 3:07am PDT
      • BRING SOUTHLAND BACK!!! There must be a network that would pick it up from where they left off. It is a damn good show, and it is realistic. I totally agree with you Jim Bryant 100%! I also represent law enforcement, Southland is the closest to reality that you can get to a police series. End of Watch is also a great police reality movie. What are they going to do, remove it from the shelves of Walmart?? Lol..Too much!

Comment by Tim P — Tuesday July 9, 2013 @ 9:09pm PDT
        • It is very sad that Southland was canceled.. Seriously with so many people watching it.. why? why? did it get canceled?

Comment by Ali — Sunday September 8, 2013 @ 6:20am PDT
      • You raise good questions that i was asking myself. I will always wonder about those things as well. Growing up in L.A. i can tell you they definitely captured and portrayed a lot of the violence that goes on in L.A. in each episode, this show will surely be missed, and i probably won’t watch TNT at all if any anymore because of them cutting such a good show.

Comment by Will N. — Monday August 5, 2013 @ 12:03am PDT
      • I am a retired L.A. county sheriff and I agree Southland was the best police show ever. So many parts were very real and brought back many memories of when I worked patrol. Many of the locations and areas I remember well. Someone should pick up this show and bring it back. I would wait all week for each new show. It was outstanding and so real. Maybe if enough people complain TNT will bring it back.

Comment by Ray — Wednesday August 7, 2013 @ 6:07pm PDT
    • I give up! I am just going to keep watching HGTV shows. You just can’t rely on the network to keep on what you like to watch.So many good shows get cut on TNT . I will never get hooked on TNT shows again!

Never!!!!!

Comment by jg — Sunday May 19, 2013 @ 8:46pm PDT
    • I’m with you all! You canceled two of the BEST programs on TV, Southland & Monday Mornings and kept dallas? That’s ridiculous. Dallas was drivel when it was on 30 yrs ago. SOUTHLAND & MONDAY MORNINGS were the only 2 reasons to tune in to TNT so now we won’t be watching anything on your channel. Stop catering to the brain dead and pay more attention to those of us who actually buy the advertisers products.

Comment by Rose — Tuesday May 21, 2013 @ 2:46am PDT
    • Why is this not surprising? The more brain cells it takes to engage in a thought provoking series the less chance the execs will let it continue…God forbid we should rise above Housewives from Wherever and yet another season of soap opera idiots. No more network for our house, thank God for Cable. Or read a book.

Comment by gayle — Monday May 27, 2013 @ 12:14pm PDT
    • are you people at tnt crazy!!!!! southland was one of the best shows on tv that last 4 years! you cancell it and renew dallas!!! now you have no quality programs on your network!

Comment by paul — Saturday June 1, 2013 @ 8:12am PDT
    • It’s sad that perhaps the best written show on tv (and by far best TNT broadcast) is allowed to die by TNT executives. Somebody is asleep at the wheel. Its a real shame!

Comment by Mike — Tuesday August 6, 2013 @ 1:16pm PDT
    • TNT Execs asleep at the wheel! Perhaps best show on TV and undoubtably best broadcast on TNT is dead. Pitiful!

Comment by Mike — Tuesday August 6, 2013 @ 1:18pm PDT
    • I agree with all of you that Southland was really great. I can’t see how shows like Person of INterest and Elementary plus several more stay on and shows like Southland are cancelled. Idiots, that’s what they are.

Comment by dottie — Tuesday September 10, 2013 @ 7:02pm PDT
    • I loved this show. I wish it was renewed. It was so realistic, I felt like I was in Los Angeles. With the quality of the show I am not sure how it failed. I think the objective was just last for 5 years and syndicate the show. What about the fans. Canceled…really? What about the fans!!!!!!

Comment by sea — Wednesday November 27, 2013 @ 8:46am PST
  • sad news, tnt is the worst

Comment by johncarter — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 1:30pm PDT
    • Not true. TNT gave SL 30 more episodes in addition to airing the ones that NBC produced, but never aired. Sad to see this quality show die.

Comment by Chicago Dan — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:01pm PDT
      • PLEASE PUT ON ONE MORE STUPID REALITY SHOW. AND END ANYTHING THAT TELLS A STORY.

Comment by BRIAN SLADICK — Monday May 13, 2013 @ 7:02pm PDT
  • And the bad news continues.

Comment by Mike — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 1:30pm PDT
    • Really a Sad Day for America and Worldwide..SVU gets renewed..Criminal minds too..but honest true and real southland gets cancelled..what a heart break

Comment by BenMcKenzie — Saturday May 11, 2013 @ 1:43am PDT
  • It’s sad to see Southland end, but thanks to TNT we got to see 5 amazing seasons.

Comment by durdenist — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 1:30pm PDT
  • I am gutted. This was the best and I mean the best thing on TV, smart, well written, great acting…..May need to sell my TV now..

Comment by loyal fan — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 1:31pm PDT
    • I’m with you loyal fan! Cancel this and keep all that other drivel on? Shameful… Network and Cable TV need to get it together before we all just give up on the boobtube!

Comment by SouthlandFan — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:19pm PDT
    • I feel exactly the same. SouthLAnd set a high standard for me. Not sure there’s anything else out there that will get close… The cancellation is an awful reflection of today’s TV watchers, since networks have to go where the viewership is.

Comment by Anonymous — Sunday May 12, 2013 @ 12:30pm PDT
  • No no no.

Very sad news. Very sad indeed.

Comment by Peter Sumptner — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 1:32pm PDT
  • Sigh…good show. Good acting, writing, directing, producing.

Glad I got to work on it before it ended.

Wish it had gotten the ratings it deserved.

Comment by Vincent Hanna — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 1:36pm PDT
  • Well, with this one action, TNT has lost a viewer! I know that isn’t a big deal to them, but because I thought SouthLAnd was the best show on TV, I will no longer be watching ANYTHING ELSE on that network. Thanks, TNT, for freeing up my evenings now. VERY BAD CHOICE TO CANCEL SOUTHLAND!!!!!

Comment by Jeanie — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 1:38pm PDT
    • Without TNT, Southland would’ve only lasted one season. It sucks that it’s been cancelled, but TNT have been very good with the show by giving it four more season than it would’ve had.

Comment by KAS — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 1:52pm PDT
    • Before you chastise them, (btw-unless you have a Nielsen box, your boycott will have no impact) try to remember how great they were to save it from dying at NBC. Because of TNT you got to watch your favorite show for a few more years.

How about a “Thanks for that TNT. You did what you could but if the ratings are low, business dictates the show must go. Because of you, it went on for multiple seasons. Thank you.”

Perspective.

Comment by Vincent Hanna — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:11pm PDT
      • I’m about to be set up with one this week, so my boycott will.

Comment by sd — Sunday May 12, 2013 @ 6:20pm PDT
      • I’m hoping I live long enough that the Nielsen ratings will be a thing of the past. I cannot believe it is an accurate measure of what people are watching. I would rather go with a “pay for” system and then I bet we would see a difference in keeping the quality shows. Southland was one of the best, great cast, great writing.

Comment by nome — Thursday August 29, 2013 @ 11:25am PDT
    • Stop being so hysterical. TNT stepped in after NBC cancelled it – due to low ratings – and aired it for three seasons. You should be thanking them for giving you the extra three seasons.

You sound like one of those soap opera morons who is always threatening to boycott the networks – except when the network airs a show they really like.

Comment by Miffy — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:25pm PDT
      • Just a point of reference: it was not canceled by NBC due to low ratings. It was canceled because NBC decided to give Jay Leno the 10pm slot five days a week, and Southland was considered too risque to air before 10pm. TNT picked it up, Leno bombed, NBC had egg on it’s face and Southland got 4 more years on TNT. I would have left better if the story had wrapped up better. But that would have meant giving the viewers a warning this was happening.

Comment by Lil — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 7:34pm PDT
    • Just because TNT saved it from NBC doesn’t mean people can’t be upset they canceled it. Especially with it ending the way it did. At least give those of us who followed it from NBC to TNT some closure by wrapping storylines up.

Comment by Kristoffer — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 4:13pm PDT
      • Exactly..You said it well

Comment by BenMcKenzie — Saturday May 11, 2013 @ 1:45am PDT
      • I’m with you, and I think frustration stems from the fact that this was a good show that’s being cancelled, while terrible programming literally infests the channel guide. While the last good cop show is cancelled, there are all these stupid “reality” shows being continued, more stupid “coming-of-age” or “family” sitcoms being spewed out, and “Dallas” being continued.

I can only imagine the kind of “drama” show being cooked up with WB for McKenzie…

Comment by Anonymous — Monday May 13, 2013 @ 11:49am PDT
    • Same here…TNT…you lost yet another viewer. What gives, a great cop show, I’m a cop and I even watch it LOL. Several of my co workers watch it. I hate cop shows normally cause they are all to fake, this was the most authentic “cop” program I have seen thus far. End of Watch reminded me of Southland, what a shame I hate to see it go….

Comment by VernonP — Saturday May 11, 2013 @ 1:09am PDT
  • I’m gonna go with Cooper died…suicide by suit.

Comment by Anonymous — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 1:39pm PDT
  • Great for Joss Whedon! Now he can hire his brother off Southland and staff SHIELD with only the inner circle.

Comment by Fhjjjkk — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 1:40pm PDT