NBC’s ‘Rock Center With Brian Williams’ Cancelled

After two struggling seasons and numerous time slots, NBC has axed Rock Center With Brian Williams, the network announced today. While the consistently low-rated show will not be returning in the fall, no date has been given yet for the newsmagazine’s last telecast. Hosted by the NBC Nightly News anchor, Rock Center debuted on October 31, 2011. It had a rocky ride both in terms of ratings and time slots almost from the beginning. Rock Center aired Mondays at 10 PM for its first few months before being moved to Wednesdays in February 2012, where it stayed until it was pulled from the schedule that May because of declining ratings. Still, in a testament to Williams’ stature at NBC, Rock Center was brought back for a second cycle in September 2012 where it was broadcast on Thursdays at 10 PM. In February, the show got yet another new time slot on Fridays at 10 PM. That move prompted Williams to make an on-air comment when the show debuted on Friday, February 8 about the show’s “latest resting place.” Rock Center EP Alexandra Wallace soon fanned out to proclaim that Williams was just being lighthearted and wasn’t upset. Doubt that’s the case today.

• Oddly, I am sort of sad about this, it was a good informative news program, and I enjoyed it every now and then.

Comment by Mike — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:01pm PDT
    • But the problem was NBC kept bouncing it around and as usual didn’t do enough to promote it. It would work if it got paired with Dateline.

Comment by Marc — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:08pm PDT
  • Very sad to lose this. Had strong segments of real value.

Comment by Fan — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:07pm PDT
    • This was the best show on TV. Can’t believe it was cancelled.

Comment by chabaz — Saturday June 22, 2013 @ 3:46pm PDT
  • One has to recommend NBC for trying to start a new news magazine but those very low ratings did not justify a single extra episode and that since a long time ago. Repeats of Dateline would have delivered the same ratings.

Comment by Sam — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:08pm PDT
  • There IS a God (besides me)!

Comment by Mike Grindon — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:08pm PDT
  • Wow. After Whitney, Guys with Kids, Go On, 1600 Penn, Up All Night…..and now Rock Center with Brian Williams is the latest comedy to be cancelled.

Comment by bill — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:10pm PDT
  • This is the one cancellation this season that really hits me. I loved Rock Center, and they’ve done some amazing work this season. However, not enough people were watching. As Linda Ellerbee (no stranger to cancellation) says, “And So It Goes”…

I guess Rock Center should have had a segment every week featuring “real” housewives pulling each other’s hair out. :-(

Comment by TV Gord — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:11pm PDT
    • Actually, it’s Kurt Vonnegut who said “And so it goes…” I am sure Ellerbee was quoting him.

Comment by Mouse — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:35pm PDT
  • “enjoyed it every now and then” That’s the problem in a nutshell. No consistency. People watched it “every now and then”-hence the cancelation.

Comment by just saying — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:17pm PDT
    • Not true the show was outstanding! Brian Williams is a Pro! The sponsors should rethink their decision
      This program was one we never missed. Too Bad, really sad.

Comment by Anonymous — Friday June 28, 2013 @ 8:28pm PDT
  • I am sad about the ending of the show as I liked it and found it to be a good news show- Sad to see Brian Williams not there on Friday night.

Comment by Mary — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:22pm PDT
    • Maybe he can get a job on his daughter’s show.

Comment by crystal — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 3:04pm PDT
  • Bwah hahahahaha!

Seriously, the one hour news magazines should be dropped or moved to cable. I don’t care if there is an acceptable audience number, move them and fill it with something better. The way I see it, those newsmag programs are even less risky than the most idiotic reality tv show: low risk, targetted towards the lowest common denominator.

Not every network is going to even try to produce “60 Minutes” or “Nightline” at its peak; seriously, not every network looks like they try to even bother knowing those two shows exist.

Comment by that’s just funny — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:28pm PDT
  • When you have a Rock Center “exclusive” and you preview it for me on Today, then excerpt it for me on my local news at noon, 5 and 6, then preview it again for me on NBC Nightly News, there’s really little reason to watch by the time Rock Center comes on the air, is there?

Comment by Rob Feldman — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 2:38pm PDT