NBC Cancels ‘Smash’ After Two Seasons

This was one of the most expected cancellations at NBC and yet it was probably one of the most difficult; that’s why it came down last. Smash was a passion project for NBC topper Bob Greenblatt, which he originally developed at Showtime and brought with him to NBC. It was one of his first pilot orders and the series launched with one of the biggest marketing campaigns in years on the night after NBC’s broadcast of the Super Bowl last year. The big-budget musical drama started off well, helped by a big lead-in from The Voice. But creatively, it couldn’t live up to the pilot and in renewing it for a second season, NBC changed showrunners. When it returned this midseason on Tuesday and without The Voice lead-in, Smash couldn’t regain traction, crashing in the ratings before getting exiled on Saturday.

• I don’t care if it was uneven I loved this show. Megan Hilty, Jack Davenport are amazing. I can’t wait to see what else this very talented cast decides to do.

Comment by Seth — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 6:57pm PDT
    • The past week’s episode was one of the most awful hours of television I have ever had to sit through. Raping Rent’s real history for their insipid Hit List subplot was callous and poorly pulled off. It’s like the show-runners had no idea how awful the show had become and are in some bubble where they think we care about ANYONE but Megan Hilty’s character. She was the entire reason to watch the show and every minute spent away from her was a disaster.

Comment by shelly — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 8:38pm PDT
    • Theresa Rebeck wrote a brilliant pilot and created marvelous characters. I so admire what this show was trying to do. The entire cast is so talented. Would love to see a scaled down version continue on Bravo. Megan Hilty is a great talent.

Comment by Judy — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 9:32pm PDT
      • This show was better than Broadway. My husband and I recorded it and watched with such joy. The most original, the greatest songs, dance numbers, direction, cast, only the scripts were a bit uneven, but given more time to develop further, could have been such a goundbreaking, long-running treat. Just hate to watch anything new any more. Afraid to get hooked and then let down yet again. We must be weird or have strange taste to be so often disappointed like this.

Comment by Judy Lamppu — Monday May 13, 2013 @ 10:09am PDT
    • Such a horrible decision on NBC’s part. For the 1st. time we actually were able to see Broadway on TV. Megan, Hilty, Katherine McPhee and all the rest of this remarkable cast gave us Broadway at it’s best and now it’s gone. Very sad and I will miss all of them and their remarkable talent.

Comment by Linda Moore — Tuesday May 14, 2013 @ 10:33am PDT
    • agree!!! i love the show!!

Comment by Anonymous — Sunday May 26, 2013 @ 8:41pm PDT
  • Good riddance, this once great show went down as soon as Theresa Rebeck departed last season. It was DOA when season 2 started.

Comment by Kellye — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 6:57pm PDT
    • Yep. This summarizes the problem in a nutshell.

Comment by taffin — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 10:00pm PDT
  • No surprise here.
    What’s left: Assistance, Donor Party (pushed I think, not sure why, anybody know?), Girlfriend in a Coma (pushed due to casting), Craig Robinson, Jessica Simpson (did this push also?), I Am Victor, Wonderland (pushed off-cycle).

Comment by me — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 6:57pm PDT
  • Do 10 episodes on Bravo. Run it there.

Comment by Jerry — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 6:59pm PDT
  • Bravo should seriously pick it up. I’m going to miss this show. It was really getting into a good groove.

Comment by Mike — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 7:00pm PDT
  • Last? What about HANNIBAL? Or did I miss it…?

Comment by Brian — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 7:01pm PDT
  • Damn!

Comment by Annabelle — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 7:03pm PDT
  • For shame, Bob Greenblatt! You should be looking for a new job.

Comment by m — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 7:03pm PDT
    • In fairness, that advice is true for all NBC executives.

Comment by A — Saturday May 11, 2013 @ 11:31am PDT
  • what about Hannibal? Did I miss it?

Comment by Joon — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 7:04pm PDT
  • Congratulations to Bob and his crew for their courage and fearlessness. I know you guys are going to find the right groove this year.

Comment by Fred — Friday May 10, 2013 @ 7:08pm PDT