‘All My Children’ & ‘One Life To Live’ Top Digital Streaming Charts

Hours after the premiere of the rebooted All My Children and One Life To Live, the online-only (for now) soaps have climbed to the top of the two digital platforms they’re available on: iTunes and Hulu. On iTunes, the soaps are No. 1 and No. 3 in the TV seasons category, sandwiching the current sixth season of AMC’s Mad Men. Among episodes, AMC and OLTL currently rank as No. 5 and No. 6. On Hulu, the AMC and OLTL premieres are the two most viewed TV episodes today. The AMC and OLTL debut comes on the heels of the soap’s producer Prospect Park filing a $25 million breach of contract lawsuit against ABC, claiming the broadcast network had sabotaged the soaps’ revival. That litigation is ongoing.

• Imagine that: people paying money to watch their soaps?! Congrats to Prospect Park for pulling off a feat which many never thought possible. So nice to see all of those veteran soap actors back on the television screen.

Comment by Lisa — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 1:51pm PDT
    • It’s free.

Comment by Jessica — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 3:43pm PDT
    • I didn’t pay a dime…hulu.com is free…

Comment by Sarge — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 3:49pm PDT
    • One can watch them free on HULU with commercials. HULU+ is $8 per month, and the shows are broadcast with limited commercials. I opted for HULU+.

Comment by Norasusan — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 4:48pm PDT
    • Since it has several different options to watch I did not have to pay for it. I bet you pay for cable it would be the same difference. I for one am glad that PROSPECT PARK saw that soap fans still count.

Comment by cheryl hicks — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 6:30pm PDT
    • Actually on the regular Hulu service it is FREE to watch it!!!!

Comment by Raye — Tuesday April 30, 2013 @ 1:07am PDT
    • i had let my hulu plus subscription lapse. but even though these shows are free, i just re-subscribed. i have always said that there were PLENTY of people who would pay for their shows. if they write it properly. the last decade of soap writing was a race to the bottom of quality

Comment by lpeluso — Wednesday May 1, 2013 @ 12:40am PDT
    • The new AMC and OLTL are great! Watching on HuluPlus! HuluPlus offers so much and the writing teams of both shows are giving us a fresh new look at two legendary soaps. Thank you.

Comment by KB — Wednesday May 1, 2013 @ 4:39am PDT
    • I LOVE these shows and I am glad that they are back. The cursing took me off guard but outside of that I enjoyed it.

Comment by Juanita Kelly — Friday May 3, 2013 @ 5:35pm PDT
    • On Hulu.com it’s free. On Huluplus.com it’s $7.99 a month. I watch on Hulu everyday to every couple days (then watch multiple episodes at once) for free!!

Comment by Jen — Monday May 13, 2013 @ 8:33pm PDT
  • In retrospect, it makes a lot of sense. After all, soaps occupy the same “paying attention but not really” brainspace we use when surfing youtube, so a home on the internet makes perfect sense.

Comment by Potato — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 2:02pm PDT
  • Wont last.
    Just an initial curiosity impact.

Comment by ThisWontLast — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 2:05pm PDT
    • Curious to see what though? A daytime soap? They never touted it as a new type of show just available some place other than daytime tv.

I think it’s a sign of a fanbase strong enough to make an impact within this measurable as opposed to what ABC wanted to see within the Nielsen ratings.

Comment by JJ — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 2:15pm PDT
    • Let me guess..you work for ABC and are bitter?

Comment by Lindsey — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 3:35pm PDT
      • Everyone’s entitled to their opinion on this without being insulted in return. You can’t blame anyone for being highly skeptical about this endeavor. This is not a soap opera fan site.

Comment by Chris — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 3:59pm PDT
        • Nothing wrong with being skeptical, however Hulu is not some new fly by night platform for viewing shows. They have many many original movies and programs already, so why won’t the two soaps work on it?

Comment by Carrie — Tuesday April 30, 2013 @ 1:09am PDT
        • No one is entitled to anything,he wasn’t being skeptical he was being pessimistic..this site may not be a soap oprea fan site but it covered it.

Comment by antiChris — Saturday May 4, 2013 @ 6:32pm PDT
    • I agree that it probably won’t last either. I think a lot of this is due to a first day curiosity factor. There may have been decent sampling, but I think that viewership will sharply drop off soon. Other than the shrinking group of rabid die-hards, nearly everyone else moved on a long time ago.

Bottom line: I’m not sure how Prospect Park expects to make $$$ from this, since internet advertising is so much less than network TV advertising. These shows can’t possibly survive with that as their only revenue source to offset all of the costs involved.

I predict that the veterans will be prominently seen at first. Then, they will be slowly replaced with younger and cheaper “talent” (because that’s the online market), and then both soaps won’t even resemble what people remember, and finally soon after that they’ll be gone.

Comment by Chris — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 3:56pm PDT
      • Prospect Park was quoted in the New York Times today about how exactly they can make money doing this. The cost are much less the way they are currently producing the shows. They are 25 minutes long vs. 40 minutes when they were on broadcast tv. They can break even with much less viewers than ABC had and they can make money with much less viewers as well. They have cut the cost per episode by almost half and they use the same studio for both soaps. If you watch on Hulu for free you have to watch ads just like broadcast tv. If you pay for hulu or itunes than they are getting a cut of that as well.

Comment by mike stewart — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 6:17pm PDT
      • sorry this die hard rabid soap fan is thrilled and it will last there are too many of us out there by the way a you a wizard with money

Comment by sheila — Thursday May 2, 2013 @ 10:20am PDT
    • I guess we’ll have to wait and see won’t we. However, I would like to make a wager with you that you’re wrong. I don’t think you have a clue as to how much these shows’ appeal to viewers.

Comment by Norasusan — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 4:50pm PDT
    • Well that’s your opinion. Will all the total crap on tv it’s nice get into a short soap with a story. Splash. Really!

Comment by Anonymous — Tuesday May 7, 2013 @ 7:08pm PDT
  • I wonder if this kind of attention will movivate the networks to try to rejuvenate the daytime soap. They’re mired and steeped with decades old perspectives on writing, storylines, plotting, etc. and it’s not translating to the current audience.

Comment by JJ — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 2:17pm PDT
  • I’M HAPPY TO SEE MY SOAPS ARE BACK. BUT NOT MELISSA ARCHER. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE BREE WILLIAMSON OR ERIN TORPEY BACK AS JESSICA. I LOVE HILLARY B. SMITH , ROBERT S. WOODS AND JERRY VER DORN. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE DAN GAUITHER BACK AS KEVIN, TOM DEGAN AS JOEY, GINA TOGNONI AS KELLY, JOHN BOLGER AS JOHN, CHARISSA CHAMAROO AS SOPHIA, JASON SHANE SCOTT, CCATHERINE HICKLAND, DAVID FUMERO, KAMAR DE LOS REYES, JUSTIS BOLDING, PATRICIA MAUCERI, PATRICIA ELLIOTT, PETER BARTELL AS NIGEL, KRISTINE ALDERSON STARR, ERIKA PAGE ROSEANNE, ROBIN CHRISTOPHER, SKYE, JAMES DEAPIAVA AS MAX AND HIS WIFE AS BLAIR AND LAURA KOFFMAN AS CASSIE AND WORTHAM KRIMMIR AS ANDREW BACK AND MAY MORE. I LOVE FLORENCIA LONZOA AS TEA SHE ROCKS LIKE NORA DOES.

Comment by ANNIE THIEL — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 2:19pm PDT
    • ~-^ Indoor voice, please…

Comment by Liz — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 6:39pm PDT
    • What is wrong with Melissa Archer?? I think she is an awesome actress and very happy to see her back!!!!!!!!

Comment by oltl fan — Tuesday April 30, 2013 @ 7:08am PDT
      • I agree! I love Melissa Archer! She is an amazing actress!

Comment by Jen — Monday May 13, 2013 @ 8:40pm PDT
    • Some of those you mentioned have said they are doing other things and don’t want to return. Since they are smaller shows, the cast cannot be huge. Expect more recurring characters or shorter story arcs…

Comment by Robynne — Tuesday April 30, 2013 @ 8:47am PDT
    • I am slso happy to have my soaps back…I happen to like Melissa Archer. Regardless to who we like and don’t like…We should just be grateful that the soap fans voices were heard and our stories are back. I am hoping in time that others will come back. Like Jessica and Rex and Gigi and Roxy…Only time will tell. The main thing we have to do is continue to support theses shows OLTL and AMC!

Comment by Mary — Thursday May 2, 2013 @ 10:00am PDT
  • When it was on Network TV, The requirement was to get more than 3 million to watch. On the internet, they only need a minimum of 500,000 which should be easy when you combine U.S. and Canadian viewers of these shows. Because of this, I think they will remain successful for awhile as long as the content remains fresh and new. Cable Subscribers are being promised these shows after the summer. I don’t think Prospect Park or the fanbase have anything to worry about in the foreseeable future. Its going to be bright for awhile for them.

Comment by Gnico559 — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 2:31pm PDT
    • Darn right! The premier of One Life to LIVE was incredible. Can’t wait for more. I have been in withdrawal for a year and a half. NOT ANY LONGER! Pure joy—and slight reticence about quality deteriorating has been allayed. This was fantastic!

Comment by Devon — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 8:51pm PDT
  • Hopefully they can sustain this and it’s not just lookey loo traffic. From what I’ve heard and seen, the show’s are great. Soaps should have dropped to a 30 minute format awhile ago and quicken up the pacing.

Comment by Damian — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 2:35pm PDT
  • This could be the future of television as the network advertising freamework suffers due to new technologies (no way they win that hopper lawsuit), but also – while it’s #1 on Itunes – what does that mean in comparison to the money they used to get from networks? The number of season passes sold is irrelevant. How much PROFIT is being made after over head, and paying actors, cause actors are part of a union and thus they ain’t working ‘cheap’.

Comment by John — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 2:40pm PDT
    • Already is

Comment by Amy — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 3:16pm PDT
    • Regarding Actors Salary…
      I saw on a “behind the scenes” preview, what makes this different than Network TV Daytime salary is that the Actors are not being paid per episode they appear, but being paid per day of actual studio work…Whether that days work includes shooting scenes for a single episode or scenes that will appear in multiple episodes. So it seems this is a big WIN for the production company and that should trickle down to keeping budgets in check to be long-term successful. The preview comment noted that they can shoot scenes for a weeks worth of eps in a single day.
      P.S.
      The studio (shared space) schedule is rotating between the 2 shows…AMC shoots for 6 weeks then OLTL shoots for the next 6 weeks etc etc.

Comment by shiker — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 3:46pm PDT
      • It’s 5 weeks on and 5 weeks off – but everything else is spot on!

When the actors are excited and willing to work at a different pay rate – it’s all good!

Comment by Robynne — Tuesday April 30, 2013 @ 8:49am PDT
  • I loved the new AMC and OLTL and believe they will attract different audiences, with the classic characters and new fresh talent. There is not just curiosity out there. Soap fans will be around forever! There are so many ways to watch and you are not stuck having to watch same time or using DVR. I am confident they will both be very successful. Can’t wait to watch tomorrow!!

Comment by Cindy — Monday April 29, 2013 @ 2:46pm PDT