Hot Trailer: Jackie Robinson Biopic ’42′

Here’s a second, longer trailer for Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures’ Jackie Robinson biopic 42 that opens April 12. Brian Helgeland wrote and directs the film about the famed Brooklyn Dodgers second baseman who broke pro baseball’s color barrier. Chadwick Boseman stars as Robinson and Harrison Ford plays team general manager Branch Rickey.

• Please please please tell me there’s no rap in the movie, that it’s only for the trailer. Please tell me they didn’t screw things up that bad.

Comment by DanInNYC — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 5:26am PST
    • all period music

Comment by missy — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 10:02am PST
  • Nice trailer until the end when that horseshit music started.

Comment by Rose — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 7:27am PST
    • Exactly what I thought! I notice trailer editors have no clue when it comes to music. “Hey lets put in a cool hip hop music so we can get a young audience into the theater. Why not try using music that fits the era?

Comment by G. Patton — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 9:32am PST
      • Because it doesn’t have anything to do with music of today that’s what’s wrong with the world of today next they should put in computers too and flat screens why not .

Comment by Anonymous — Saturday February 23, 2013 @ 8:33pm PST
    • I actually really liked the music at the end. Not everyone shares your taste in music Rose. And if it gets a few more tickets sold I don’t see a problem with it.

Comment by G — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 6:40pm PST
      • Agreed. This looks good. And I don’t even like baseball.

Comment by Fan — Saturday January 12, 2013 @ 8:37am PST
        • I agree with Rose, preferring to use irritating music over manure. U need period music. If it is done right I would love to see this movie with my brothers. Jackie was very special, very important. I hope they don’t ruin it with rap or other inappropriate music.

Comment by KineticR — Friday March 22, 2013 @ 4:12pm PDT
      • Does anyone know the artist and title of the song at the end of “42″?

Comment by Anonymous — Friday April 19, 2013 @ 7:16pm PDT
        • Would very much like to know the words too.

Comment by Anonymous — Friday April 19, 2013 @ 9:06pm PDT
    • What music should they have played??? kiss, johnny cash, garth brooks?????? better yet why don’t you compose a score for the movie?………………………..crickets……….just as I thought.

Comment by johnny vega$ — Saturday February 2, 2013 @ 5:02pm PST
  • April 12 seems like a strange release date. That’s roughly two weeks after Opening Day… won’t baseball fans be too busy going to real baseball games to care about this?

Comment by College Student — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 7:38am PST
    • April 15 is “Jackie Robinson Day”, the anniversary of his first MLB game and the day every player wears #42…

Comment by DodgerFan — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 9:23am PST
    • Jackie Robinson broke into the majors on April 15th. So the film is being released on a Friday, three days prior.

Comment by Ron — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 9:49am PST
  • Looks good. Trailer seems like it is trying not to forget a younger audience in this biopic. Definitely will see it as should all baseball fans.

Comment by SteveD — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 7:48am PST
    • This looks terrific. Shocked at good Harrison Ford captures Branch Rickey. This might be a great film. Can’t wait to see it.

Comment by Tyler — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 10:15am PST
      • The nose played for Matt in Ocean’s, but it don’t play in 42. HF’s nose = almost as bad as Kidman’s in The Hours.

Comment by Linus Caldwell — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 10:42am PST
  • When I was 10 (45 years ago), I was with my family at Grossinger’s, the Borscht Belt resort. I don’t know why or how I recognized him, but there was Jackie Robinson. I remember a very gentile man with salt and pepper hair. I got his autograph before he started a round of golf. I’ve never been much of a sports fan and I don’t know jack about baseball, but I knew who Jackie Robinson was, and I remember that moment clear as day. I did not know who he was because I was a baseball fan; I knew because he was the first black major league baseball player and he was heroic. I actually got a little teary watching this trailer. I think this is an important movie in the vein of “Lincoln” and “Django”. Society still needs to address in its consciousness past atrocities or other wrongs committed against Africans and African Americans.

Comment by Ben — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 8:17am PST
    • Amen Ben.

Comment by Anon — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 8:37am PST
    • I got teary, too. Glad I’m not alone. What a great man – I’m glad this movie can honor his legacy and I hope it does so well. This trailer made me more interested in the project than ever.

Comment by Sam — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 9:58am PST
    • I meant “gentle”, not “gentile”. Sorry about the auto-correct going wrong. Thanks for the replies.

Comment by Ben — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 12:12pm PST
  • April 12 is Jackie Robinson Day and all Major League players wear the number 42.
    Mark Isham is the composer.

This is a GREAT movie.

Comment by Idiot Savant — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 8:36am PST
  • As far as the music goes, I’m not sure there’s another song that’s more appropriate. I just hope the film focuses on Jackie Robinson’s story and not Harrison Ford’s effort to sign him and bat back the criticism of signing a black player. Please, Hollywood, stop white-washing these stories.

Comment by Josh — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 8:41am PST
  • Nice trailer but the costumes look terrible!

Comment by Hnon — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 8:47am PST
  • Looks great. The hip-hop music will be a huge draw for the younger generation.

Opening on April 12 makes a lot of sense as Monday, April 15, is “Jackie Robinson Day” in MLB baseball. Each player on all MLB teams (yes that’s right, all 30 teams!) wears the same number on their jersey (42) to honor Jackie and breaking the color barrier in baseball.

Comment by ilovebaseball — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 9:53am PST
  • Very nice trailer.
    @steved – yes! @ben – that’s an awesome memory…
    @Rose – agreed. The Jay-Z piece at the end is terrible and out of place but I understand why it’s there. This movie looks very classy and well-done, which will make kids think it’s “corny” so they have to throw Jay-Z in there to make sure kids pay attention. Jackie Robinson is part of American history that everyone should know about, so if it takes Jay-Z to bring kids to the table, so be it.

Comment by parker13 — Friday January 11, 2013 @ 9:56am PST