HBO’s ‘Girls’ Dips In Season 2 Premiere, ‘Enlightened’ Up In New Night Return

Last night’s Season 2 premiere of Girls at 9 PM drew 866,000 viewers, a slight drop from the 872,000 viewers the HBO show drew for its series premiere on April 15 last year. Sunday’s premiere was also down from the series-high 1 million that watched the Season 1 finale on June 17. Over three plays last night — 9 PM, 10 PM and 11 PM — Girls had a total audience of 1.6 million, up 42% from the double showing of the series premiere. HBO was happy right away with Girls, rewarding the series with a 10-episode second-season pickup April 30 after only three airings. Sunday’s premiere came the same night the show’s creator and star Lena Dunham won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy Series and the show won Best TV Comedy.

Related: HBO Makes Plans For Potential Third Season Of ‘Girls’

Enlightened was also back for its second season Sunday but on a new night. The 9:30 airing pulled in 300,000 viewers, a 43% rise from its series Monday series premiere on October 10, 2011. The show drew 609,000 viewers overall in all three of its plays Sunday. HBO renewed Enlightened for an eight-episode second season on December 11, 2011, after two months on the air. Friday’s 10 PM premiere of Alan Ball’s Banshee on the HBO-owned Cinemax had 483,000 viewers. The freshman series’ 11 PM rebroadcast got 235,000 viewers and the 12 AM airing of Banshee pulled in 247,000.

• Hooray for Laura and Enlightened!

Comment by YAY — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 1:27pm PST
  • Well, to be fair, it was up against the Golden Globes — a Girls lovefest. Kind of weird timing by HBO.

Comment by NY Observer — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 1:29pm PST
  • Don’t forget that this shows target audience watches show on DVR. They don’t watch the shows live.

Comment by Jack — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 1:33pm PST
    • Funny how Game of Thrones, True Blood, and other actual HBO hits (which are also big on DVR and repeates) can draw a large live audience for the network. Girls is all hype. The divide between how much it’s talked about and how few people watch it might be one of the largest of all time.

Comment by The ol' target audience excuse — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 1:37pm PST
      • Amen to that. So sick of hearing about this overrated crapfest. It reminds me of something Roger Ebert ince said about films made specifically for movie critics. By and large, most HBO subscribers avoid this show.

Comment by Glen — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 5:33pm PST
      • Game of Thrones and True Blood have a more diverse viewership that doesn’t specifically only watch things on DVR or online or HBOGO. Girls does.

Comment by Anonymous — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 5:57pm PST
        • Who ONLY watches shows on DVR? That doesn’t even make sense.

Comment by Eli — Tuesday January 15, 2013 @ 3:42pm PST
          • I almost never watch anything that isn’t on my DVR, everything I wanna watch is programmed into it ahead of time and then I just watch at my leisure, especially because I keep odd hours working nights.

Comment by Jason — Friday February 1, 2013 @ 12:35am PST
      • Considering cancelling HBO until they restart some real entertaining series. Girls and Enlightened are the worst! Not worth the price of the subscription.

Comment by TC — Sunday February 10, 2013 @ 8:18am PST
      • I really have to agree with you. Series like Game of Thrones and TrueBlood and etc. relate to a much wider audience men and women and these shows are constantly streamed online or DVR but still pulls in it’s live viewers. I believe Girls was over hyped they wanted to create another Sex and The City but if fell short. The audience that is trying to relate to doesn’t have cable and the people that actually view HBO are mature adults between ages 25 and up and I think girls just doesn’t and won’t find it’s audience on HBO. I’m not saying it’s a terrible show but the hype does oversee the writing and characters. It’s hard to really care about any of the characters. At least Sex and the City provided you with being able as a women to see yourself in on of the 4 ladies this show does not, they just are white girls with minor problems in which they created for themselves.

Comment by Ayanna Costa — Wednesday February 27, 2013 @ 3:16pm PST
    • no one does.

Comment by bearddd — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 2:01pm PST
  • The empress has no clothes, literally and figuratively.

Comment by killertv — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 1:35pm PST
  • These ratings were at the same time Directv had HBO and other movie channels having a free preview weekend. I would think more people would have checked it out. I personally enjoyed watching Shameless on Showtime, a hilarious show for sure.

Comment by Natasha — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 1:37pm PST
    • Free preview viewers wouldn’t be counted in this.

Comment by AB — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 2:52pm PST
      • … why not?

Comment by NervisRex — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 4:35pm PST
        • I don’t know but HBO does not include the free viewers in the ratings reported.

Comment by anonymous — Tuesday January 15, 2013 @ 7:31am PST
  • Guessing the Globes is responsible. Interested to see the DVR numbers and how many watch on HBO Go.

Comment by Buck — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 1:42pm PST
    • The Globes didn’t hurt Shameless, which pulled in more than double these numbers, so I’d say you guessed wrong.

Comment by NervisRex — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 4:36pm PST
      • Shameless is actually good.

Comment by Glen — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 5:34pm PST
  • Was going to kill myself after seeing GIRLS win awards last night, but this gives me a reason to live…

Comment by Human — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 1:43pm PST
    • You were going to kill yourself because you have bad taste and can’t recognize great writing? Really?

Comment by really? — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 2:14pm PST
      • Yes! I have terrible taste and can’t recognize great writing! I like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Homeland, Community, Downton Abbey, loved Battlestar Galactica and Buffy and pretty much everything Judd Apatow has done until this…but I must have terrible taste if I think Girls is sloppy, boring, and lame. The only explanation is that I have bad taste.

Comment by Human — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 2:51pm PST
        • Sloppy, boring, and lame – couldn’t have described Girls better myself. I think many of us girls had high hopes about the show, which contributed to the hype. I am bored to tears watching, not laughing and thinking, “Was that supposed to be funny?”

Comment by bluebird — Sunday January 20, 2013 @ 7:16pm PST
      • Don’t be a putz…. GIRLS is a crapfest.

Comment by Is Lena related to Jeff? — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 4:06pm PST
      • It’s a truly horrible show with some of the most unlikeable un-empathetic, selfish, mean-spirited characters I’ve seen since the first 3 or 4 seasons of Family Guy.

Comment by Kplan — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 8:50pm PST
        • Yes, and Lord knows that show was taken off the air quickly. Or, wait…

Comment by m. — Thursday January 24, 2013 @ 7:50am PST
  • Also, since HBO is not ad supported, they count the cumulative viewership. So, if 509,000 people watch live and 3 million watch OnDemand/DVR/Repeat viewings, it doesn’t matter to HBO as long as you’re watching.

Comment by Jack — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 1:47pm PST
    • agreed.

Comment by James — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 2:15pm PST
    • Actually, HBO doesn’t give a hoot whether you watch or not, as long as you’re paying for the service.

Comment by Paw — Friday February 1, 2013 @ 10:29am PST
  • I don’t have HBO but even if I did, I would have been watching the Golden Globes.

Comment by daniel — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 1:47pm PST
  • Don’t forget that this show is garbage.

Comment by LD — Monday January 14, 2013 @ 1:59pm PST
    • Girls and Enlightened, any non chick shows for a guy to watch on HBO right now?

Comment by Erik — Friday January 18, 2013 @ 7:56am PST