Daniel Gillies Set As A Lead In ‘The Vampire Diaries’ Spinoff ‘The Originals’

Another Vampire Diaries standout is headed to the potential spinoff series. Daniel Gillies is set to star opposite Joseph Morgan and Phoebe Tonkin in The Originals, which will be introduced as an upcoming episode of Vampire Diaries that will air April 25, serving as a potential backdoor pilot. All three are reprising their roles from the original series as the spinoff is keeping the three-lead — two vampire brothers and a girl — formula of Vampire Diaries. The only difference is that the female lead, Hayley (Tonkin), is not an ordinary teenager like Vampire Diaries‘ Elena but a werewolf. In addition to his recurring role on Vampire Diaries, which he has played since Season 2, Canadian-born Gillies also stars on the Canadian medical drama Saving Hope. If The Originals goes to series, he will do both shows.

Written by Vampire Diaries co-creator/executive producer Julie Plec, The Originals centers on the Original family of vampires, as Klaus (Morgan) returns to the supernatural melting pot that is the French Quarter of New Orleans — a town he helped build centuries ago — and is reunited with his diabolical former protégé Marcel. Elijah (Gillies), intent on helping his self-destructive brother find redemption, must side with Marcel’s enemies in order to keep Klaus in line. Plec will write the backdoor pilot episode and executive produce Originals with Alloy Entertainment’s Leslie Morgenstein and Gina Girolamo for Alloy, Warner Bros TV and CBS TV Studios. Gillies is repped by APA and KLWG Entertainment.

• I like Joseph Morgan but there’s no Ian Somerhalder in the cast. This spinoff will flop.

Comment by sffan — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 12:40pm PST
    • Why does everyone think that? People need to stop about this obsession with Ian Somerhalder. Don’t get me wrong I like him but enough.
      In my opinion Joseph Morgan and Daniel Gillies are better actors than him! People like the Originals, it could work because no more drama around Elena and who she’ll pick. The spin off has to be coherent though.
      However, I still don’t get why Tonkin will be in it…

Comment by Marine — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 1:22pm PST
      • Elijah was always my favorite original, so if Daniel is in the spin-off, they will have at least one fan. lol

Comment by rehabber — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 3:06pm PST
      • I agree! While I think Ian is a great guy, I do not believe that his character or acting carries TVD. Daniel and Joseph are both fantastic actors and I think that the spinoff will last a while although I’m not sure if it can continue too long since Plec is writing it. It seems like it is going to have the same basic plot as TVD: two brothers and a girl between them. And, personally, that doesn’t thrill me. (I’m not sure why Tonkin has been thrown in there either except that maybe they needed a girl to complete the triangle and she’s really the only one who hasn’t been killed and isn’t completely cemented into the TVD plot). But I’ll give it a shot, especially if Claire Holt is included.

Comment by Sarah — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 4:30pm PST
        • Actually i don’t agree either with sffan or you Sarah.When on one hand originals can be a hit without Ian on the other hand you are wrong if you think that Ian’s character doesn’t carries TVD.He is one of the lead and a lead is bound to carry the show either it is paul,nina or ian.As far as acting is concerned whom you like and what others like is totally a relative concept so can’t claim it as a fact that Joseph is a better actor.If Ian wasn’t a great actor he wouldn’t have featured the top 3 male celebrity list of 2013 with Robert pattinson,roert drowney jr. and beating the likes of brad pitt,will smith,ryan gosling and many others.

Comment by Vaibhav — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 9:44pm PST
          • Sometimes people win these poles based on looks and sex appeal. It is certainly not a barometer of the depth of one’s talent.

Comment by Infidelz — Sunday February 10, 2013 @ 9:59pm PST
          • i.e. “polls”

Comment by infidelz — Sunday February 10, 2013 @ 10:00pm PST
      • I don’t know why Pheobe is in it iether. I can’t think of numerous other TVD charactors that woudl be better than her.I hope we at least get some romance from the originals before any of them leave for New Orleans. Rebekah and Klaus have come close but still no luck.

Comment by kelseafromnc — Thursday January 24, 2013 @ 2:24pm PST
    • No it won’t. The show will be interesting. It will be great to have 2vampire shows on

Comment by Anonymous — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 4:55pm PST
  • What about Rebekah (Claire Holt)? I think she should be sent to the spinoff and let Vampire Diaries be Original free.

Comment by Nick — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 12:44pm PST
  • Excellent – his character Elijah is so much more interesting than Klaus. Shame his character was never explored further in ‘VD’.

Comment by Margaret — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 12:53pm PST
  • Daniel Gilles is my favorie original on the Vampire Diaries. In my opinion, to make the spin-off work Joseph Morgan couldn’t carry the show on his own. He was needed to make the show work. Great job getting him to join the VD spinoff.

Comment by lll — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 1:10pm PST
  • Really excited about this, loved the addition of them in the vampire diaries. Think they deserve their own show so their back story can be explored in more detail. It would also be nice to see more of them, Pre vampire, and see Mikael, [Sebastian Roche] and their mother.

In reference to one of the earlier comments, as much as I love Ian and his character Damon, I don’t agree. I think this shows gonna be a hit if it goes ahead. :)

Comment by Sally — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 1:17pm PST
  • i love the idea of an oringinal spinoff..but it will not work if caroline there will not be in there.. klaroline has a huge fanbase..and the potential are so amazing that they cant destroy all the build up!

Comment by wolf — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 1:23pm PST
  • Congrats to Dan! Multi-talented and all-around good guy!

Comment by GC — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 1:24pm PST
  • not necessarily.. there’s more klaus and elijah, joseph/daniel fans out there than what you think. i feel like they just arent as vocal about things as ian or damon fans can be. i think the spin off will do good. i hope it does. the originals are what have quite a few people still watching.

Comment by alana — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 2:10pm PST
  • why would Damon be in the cast? he is the lead to VD. therefore, he wouldn’t be. possible crossovers, that’s it.

Comment by klala — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 2:17pm PST
  • Great news. really looking forward to this spin off. there’s quite a few people who’s faves have fast become the originals so a spin off should do good, i would love more stories centered on them. joseph morgan and daniel gillies have a lot of fans within this tvd fandom, more than some think so i wouldn’t worry about the lack of ian somerhalder not everyone watches for damon’s character. very excited for the originals and i hope it goes to series, hoping claire holt joins next!

Comment by sarah — Tuesday January 22, 2013 @ 2:23pm PST