Superman In Handcuffs Goes Viral As Studio Quietly Unveils ‘Man Of Steel’ One-Sheet

Warner Bros did not officially release to the media its new poster for next summer’s Man Of Steel. It didn’t have to. I’m told the one-sheet simply showed up on Facebook and immediately went viral. “Thank you to all of the fans who helped unlock this exclusive Man Of Steel reward in anticipation of The Dark Knight Rises December 4th release on DVD and Blu-ray.” Now the debate intensifies if this Superman reboot will be a big win or epic fail (contd):

Certainly the poster’s anti-hero vibe with Henry Cavill in puny handcuffs below huge biceps surprised fanboys. Military types appear to escort him somewhere sinister. And the trademark suit looks noirish but that’s just the way it’s lit. “The man who fights for truth, justice, and the American way — a criminal?” asked one media outlet. It’s all in keeping with what’s being called Zack Snyder‘s “seemingly art-film aspirations” seen in the teaser trailer under Christopher Nolan’s guidance. Though the pic doesn’t open until June 14th, its 2nd trailer will be attached to Peter Jackson’s return to Middle Earth in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opening December 14th from MGM and Warner Bros. Also previewing will be 9 minutes of Paramount’s Star Trek Into Darkness in IMAX 3D as well as the first full trailer in front of conventional theatrical showings.

• There’s a lot riding on “Man Of Steel” for WB/DC, this has to be a big hit and hope it is, but we’ll see. Looking forward to seeing the trailer.

Comment by orlando — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 3:40am PST
  • Oh, movie that no one is waiting for….
    People waited for a first glimpse of Batman, Avengers, Thor, even soon-to-be-bomb Green Lantern. They waited for trailers, first pictures. With Superman no one really cares. It’s like: “Oh yeah, that Superman movie. I will see it in the movies because I watch every superhero movie. But I don’t really care”.

It’s like with Amazing Spider-man. Nobody really cared but went to see it anyway because it’s “another Spider-Man movie”. But at least it had charming Andrew Garfield. But Henry Cavill is such a boring and empty person. He has no presence. He is pretty but that is it. Brandon Root at least was looking like young Christopher Reeve. And was charming. Henry Cavill is looking too old if you remember last Superman movie. And he has those “Pity me” eyes.

I can’t believe they would cast him. You know he has to give interviews once promotion campaign will start, photo shoots… And he looks so boring that no one will even want to read what he will say. But Superman is a huge brand. Movie will probably get between 150-200 millions at the end. I hope they will not make sequel.

Comment by Shy — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 4:57am PST
    • I have to disagree. Superman is probably the biggest comic book character there is. Most people who can’t even stand comic book films will see this just because it is Superman.

Comment by Nathan Rose — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 5:43am PST
      • Shy, you have no idea what your talking about. The close of the Batman trilogy basically handed the torch off to Superman, it will be huge. Superman is the most recognizable super hero on the planet.

Comment by GIBBS — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 6:35am PST
      • Superman IS the most famous comic book character. He is also the most boring character in the comic book history. He is also the most predictable.
        - Of course in every movie he will love Lois Lane.
        - Of course in every movie he will fight Lex Luthor. (even if he wasn’t cast in this one – I’m sure they will find the way to introduce him to sequel)
        - Of course in every movie he will have moment of weakness when someone will stick Kryptonite in his face.
        - Of course he will have “I’m so hurt” face and then will overcome
        danger in 30 seconds…
        That’s why those handcuffs look so silly. AS IF they could handcuff him. That’s probably because he went voluntary like Hancock.

When you see Batman or Spiderman beaten up, almost dying you believe they are. They worked for their victory over villain. Superman is boring because he is so strong that nothing can hurt him. Except that Kryptonite thing. So they use it against him in every movie….

At least Amazing Spiderman got rid of Mary Jane in first movie. In Superman they couldn’t got rid of Lois Lane to look more interesting and give Superman some other reason to breathe.

Comment by Shy — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 8:10am PST
        • Thank you, Grace. I think you’re wrong.

Comment by Ed Rooney — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 9:17am PST
        • Again, another juvenile comment.

There is more than one way to hurt ANYONE. So he can’t be hurt physically. He can be hurt spiritually, emotionally, intellectually. And any hero, real or imagined, can be hurt through hurting the ones they love.

To quote Superman ’77…
          “All those things I could do, all those powers, and I couldn’t even save him…”

Ask any parent, any cop, any firefighter, any doctor, anyone really about that comment and they can relate. Many people have enormous power in this world in different ways, but it is never enough. There will always be a failing. And that’s the biggest hurt of all.

Comment by the black chick... — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 10:14am PST
        • Bravo Shy. Four stars.

Comment by Fred — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 10:57am PST
        • Shy — And you know those are not Kryptonite handcuffs because…?

Comment by TERMINATOR — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 9:01pm PST
    • Tell us more, oracle! What of the coming harvest?

Comment by Johnny Ringo — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 6:44am PST
      • Oh My God, that post was the funniest thing I’ve ever read on this site.

Comment by Aggregator — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 12:56pm PST
      • Fav

Comment by shaun — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 1:21pm PST
    • Wow, you must be 12. Before Christopher Nolan rebooted Batman, there was ONLY one good Superhero movie and it was 1977′s Superman with Christopher Reeve. It stands up to this day. So of course people will be interested, especially since Chris Nolan saved the Batman franchise. Hopefully he can save this one too because the last one was atrocious.

With that being said, I was NOT feeling the teaser trailer for this movie.

However, this one sheet has me all kinds of excited.

Comment by the black chick... — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 10:01am PST
      • I’m with you. I’m all for doing something different w/Superman, but a teaser’s supposed to get you excited about a film, and there was nothing compelling in it, save for the editing style.

Comment by Kplan — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 5:33pm PST
    • amazing spider man did 700 million…..nobody wanted Daniel Craig..and we know what happened with that.right?

Comment by Isa — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 8:55pm PST
  • hey Shy,,,nobody asked you.
    I’m not a jaded know-it-all,,,so I’m looking forward to it.

Comment by theduke — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 5:30am PST
  • I like what Nolan & co. are doing with this (because make no mistake, no matter how much Nolan distances himself in public from this, he is very much a guiding force of the vision of this picture).

Clearly they’re attempting to break the mold here, in a way that questions and redefines who Superman is for modern audiences. Usually you break a hero down/’bring him down to Earth’ in the sequel,as the sequel to Donner’s original film did (and seems to be what ‘Star Trek Into Darkness’ is doing). In this case, there’s a need to start off this way, due to overall public perception of this hero, and particularly his previous film and TV life.

So I don’t expect torture of the Kryptonite waterboarding type a la Luthor in Singer’s ill-fated 2006 attempt, but rather an attempted character assassination via the Earth’s powers-that-be…and perhaps Michael Shannon’s General Zod.

If this ‘big blue boy scout’ (though I feel that term in itself doesn’t scratch the surface) really revealed himself in this cynical, post 9/11 world — what would we really think?

He would have to *prove* to us that he’s on “our” (either the U.S. or humanity in general) side…and one of the ways to initially do that would be to submit himself to questioning by global interests in the name of defining to us who he is, what he represents, and why he is here.

“My father believed that if the world found out who I really was, they’d reject me…out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn’t ready — what do you think?”

It would be very smart for Warner Bros./marketing to use this quote from the film heavily in marketing, throwing that question right back at the audience.

But of course the more fundamental way, this ‘Super-man’ will prove that, as with anything in life or movies…is through his *actions*…which is not-so-coincidentally, what Zack Snyder specializes in.

I’m looking forward to it.

Comment by Observer — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 8:09am PST
    • I really wish I could Like this comment because it is incredibly insightful and accurate. Can’t wait for this film.

Comment by Brandon — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 8:47am PST
      • You mean there isn’t an app for that?!

Comment by Wicked — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 9:14am PST
    • Boom. Nailed it.

Comment by the black chick... — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 10:05am PST
    • Well said!

(I’m not as excited by the film as you are, but well said nevertheless!)

Comment by Kplan — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 5:35pm PST
  • I’m really hoping that in helping pen the storyline, Nolan has made a push to follow in DC’s recent footsteps and sort of redefining Superman for this age. I think DC gave them some wiggle room with the New 52. It would be good to finally see a solid story/plot where Supes is figuring out how to exist on this planet against this modern landscape, making the choice (as Costner’s voiceover provides in the teaser) of how he wants to use his gifts. We saw Bruce Wayne seriously trying to figure out Batman’s convictions and methods against the mayhem of the modern world. For Batman, he was Gotham’s protector as the hero or the perceived villain, for Supes… it becomes the earth and the question becomes (based on the poster above) is Supes giving himself up to prove he believes in justice? I’m stoked about this film, regardless of what the schmo about seems to believe about the majority of us.

Comment by ShnDvd — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 8:53am PST
  • I’m skeptical about the movie. The teasers were very good and gave me optimism about the movie, but this one sheet just threw me back a couple of steps.

Superman is the strongest hero on the planet. We do not need him fighting puny humans or doing anything on a micro level. That’s why whenever he “fights” Lex Luther it’s a complete bore (and so was Singer’s Superman). I do not want this hero fighting the military and their puny guns.

What will make this movie exciting and dramatic is if Superman fought villains on a superhuman and colossal scope. I know that the main villain is General Zod so why don’t we have shots of them duking it out in space? Do we really need to be teased with boring and dark shots of the most powerful character in comics being strained by ants?

Comment by Zach — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 9:14am PST
    • How do you know that those are not Zod’s minions he’s being escorted by?

As far as we know, they could be Kryptonian rent-a-cops.

~

Coat

Comment by Cary Coatney — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 12:00pm PST
  • This is what happens when a studio and a marketing department tries to transcend with a property that is known to appeal to 10 year-old boys (-yeah, I’m talking to you, fanboy…). They can’t see beyond their pug noses…
    To make it short: Superman is ALLOWING himself to be taken with puny handcuffs and all. I’m sure he will display his true power and noble intentions in the following interrogation scene.
    It’s an ironic poster. And absolute genius.
    Absolutely can’t wait to see this.

Comment by rocketeuropa — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 11:15am PST
    • “It’s an ironic poster”. So this Superman will appeal to hipsters? It may be “ironic”, but it’s far from genius. It’s actually one of the biggest cliches in Superman’s history. “Oh, I respect the Earth and the human race so much I will allow myself to be arrested by them, even though there’s no possible way they could hold me!”. WRETCH!!! Let’s call a spade a spade here; Superman is an antiquated character. The last decade has given us portrayals of characters that are less than perfect, and more compelling like Wolverine, Iron Man, and Batman. Superman is still the “big, blue boy scout”, and this highlights that. Supes represents a by-gone era, one that movie goers no longer want to visit.

And the only reason why Cavill was selected was to sell the movie overseas, and make it seem “less American”.

Comment by Robot Shlomo — Thursday December 6, 2012 @ 6:51pm PST
      • [Supes represents a by-gone era, one that movie goers no longer want to visit.]

And yet, it will somehow gross half a billion dollars by the end of June.

Weird.

Comment by rvastar — Friday December 7, 2012 @ 7:00am PST
  • I’m excited for the film but I don’t know about this one-sheet.

Comment by AL — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 11:18am PST
  • From the genius filmmaker behind sucker punch and that owl movie

Comment by Jko — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 12:06pm PST
    • From the genius filmmaker behind Watchmen, 300, and the amazing Dawn of the Dead.

Comment by NiceMan — Thursday March 14, 2013 @ 8:21pm PDT
  • Nothing about this poster makes me want to see this movie.

In pandering to committee group-think, modern-day hipster cynics and kowtowing to chicks and gays, they will effectively neuter the Man of Steel like they’ve done to James Bond.

What made Captain America, for example, such a success was that Marvel stayed true to the core of the character. No second-guessing, no hipster winking and snarking (a la Green Hornet), no kowtowing to kiddies who don’t remember past 1990. 100% WWII period action as portrayed in the Lee/Kirby comics, brought to you by the director of The Rocketeer. PERFECT.

What killed Superman Returns, on the other hand, was screenplay by committee and weak ambivalence.

Even though I’m a huge fan of Zack Snyder (yes, I liked Sucker Punch), it’s frankly the overhyped Nolan’s involvement that’s got me worried.

I hope I’m wrong. We shall see.

Comment by fluffo — Tuesday December 4, 2012 @ 1:19pm PST