NBC Buys Relationship Comedy Co-Created And Starring Comedian Tommy Johnagin

Tommy JohnaginEXCLUSIVE: Standup comedians used to rule primetime comedy in the 1980s and 1990s with Seinfeld, Home Improvement, Roseanne and Everybody Loves Raymond. The trend has cooled off in the past decade, but in a rare pilot deal for a standup, NBC has bought a comedy project co-written and starring comedian Tommy Johnagin.

The untitled project, which Johnagin will co-write with Mike Pennie (My Name Is Earl), is based on the standup comedy and life of Johnagin and chronicles the evolution of a modern relationship, where moving in together, getting married and having a baby don’t always happen in that order. After dating for a year, a couple decides to take the next step and move in together and then quickly learn that they’ll be skipping a few steps when they find out that they’re pregnant. The comedy, which has received a script commitment, will be produced by Universal TV and Avalon TV. Pennie will executive produce with Avalon’s David Martin, Kara Baker and Jon Thoday, with Johnagin co-exec producing. Johnagin, who has been a standup since the age of eighteen, is a familiar face at NBC — he was a contestant on the seventh season of the network’s reality series Last Comic Standing where he finished second. Johnagin, repped by APA, Avalon and Leigh Brecheen, has made five appearances on CBS’ The Late Show With David Letterman (watch his most recent one from May below). Avalon TV is with Gersh.

• More people moving in together!!!

Comment by Jim — Friday October 5, 2012 @ 7:48am PDT
  • Sounds like a funny dude. Put it all the script and this could be a great show.

Comment by Less Moonves — Friday October 5, 2012 @ 9:41am PDT
  • Saw tommy open up for tosh….he stole the show.

Comment by Kris — Friday October 5, 2012 @ 11:11am PDT
  • Of all the new NBC shows featuring unknown, seemingly untalented hacks, this is one of the least intriguing.

Comment by Sal — Friday October 5, 2012 @ 12:13pm PDT
    • Coming from a completely unbiased place I have to say I completely disagree with you on this. I think NBC has purchased many great show and this one in particular sounds very intriguing and funny. Please like me

Comment by Tommy Johnagin — Friday October 5, 2012 @ 1:00pm PDT
      • seeing you on Letterman last night was like the first time I saw Brian Regan – stoned, on my couch…
        no you’re seriously hilarious – last night on Letterman a pinnacle you surely can’t top – just give up now while you’re ahead
        maybe not
        I’m looking forward to this show

Comment by Peter — Thursday May 23, 2013 @ 3:16pm PDT
  • Tommy is a great comedian with a great mind for comedy. You could say he’s unknown to you, but he is far from untalented or hacky. I don’t know as much about the rest of the people named, but Tommy is solid. Expect good things

Comment by Ray Wagner — Friday October 5, 2012 @ 12:54pm PDT
  • TJ is one of the more intelligent comics/writers out there. His playfully confrontational style wins the crowd every time!!!

Comment by Someguynamedfrank — Friday October 5, 2012 @ 2:11pm PDT
  • Can’t wait to see this show! Johnagins comedy is top notch! One of the funniest guys I’ve seen!

Comment by James Cockrum — Friday October 5, 2012 @ 2:44pm PDT
  • I love when people present old ideas as if they are new. People moving in together and having a baby before they’re married is hardly revolutionary. It’s been done before, and probably done better.

Comment by Mike — Friday October 5, 2012 @ 3:38pm PDT
  • The guy is freakin’ hilarious. I would watch him in anything!

Comment by Colleen — Friday October 5, 2012 @ 4:48pm PDT
  • Tommy is hilarious & I can’t wait to see the show! Love hearing him on Bob and Tom radio show. Congrats Tommy!!

Comment by Melanie — Friday October 5, 2012 @ 6:43pm PDT