TLC In Talks To Pick Up ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’: Report

Discovery Communications’ TLC network is in discussions to pick up the celebrity genealogy show Who Do You Think You Are?, Bloomberg reported this evening citing people familiar with the discussions. NBC canceled the show, which traced celebrity family trees, earlier this year which resulted in the website associated with the show, Ancestry.com, losing a third of its market value. WDYTYA producers are also said to be in talks with other networks. Revival of the show would likely boost prospects for the sale of Ancestry.com, which has been talking to potential buyers. Shares in Ancestry.com rose less than 1% to $31.42 at market closing but rose as much as 3.7% in after-hours trading. Discovery rose 1.6% to $59.44. Who Do You Think You Are? was adapted from a British show and traced the ancestry of celebrities such as Sarah Jessica Parker, Gwyneth Paltrow and Spike Lee, using Ancestry.com’s genealogical data.

Related: ‘Who Do You Think You Are’ Cancellation Uproots Ancestry.com

• Well, this is better than “Toddlers and Tiaras” and “Honey Boo Boo”. Unfortunately, with the continued dummification of American audiences, it won’t do half as well in the ratings.

Comment by Terrence — Thursday September 20, 2012 @ 1:15am PDT
    • Agreed Sadly. Seriously, shows that exploit children or dumb down the American audience should be cancelled with the “stars” and the creators burned at the stake.

Comment by Jessy S. — Thursday September 20, 2012 @ 9:07am PDT
    • That is soooo true.

Comment by Khamilton — Friday March 1, 2013 @ 11:49am PST
    • It was one of my favorite shows and I’ve been waiting patiently for it to return to television. Educational and interesting, I have no idea why this show would be cancelled when there is so much trash on TV. I hate this and hope it makes it’s way onto some network so my family can once again enjoy it!

Comment by beachlover — Sunday March 31, 2013 @ 9:48pm PDT
      • All my friends and I love this show! I’m shocked that it has been canceled. The last show I liked that was canceled was Party Down. Was that on NBC? Probbly canceled by the same guy. Someone should be fired.

Comment by Julie — Tuesday April 2, 2013 @ 2:25pm PDT
      • I agree; loved to watch WDYTYA. Anxiously awaiting it’s return to TV programing.

Comment by June Ahrens — Friday April 12, 2013 @ 1:48pm PDT
      • I agree with you!! I love this show. I do hope another network picks up the show. It’s not so much about each celebrity, it’s about the journey, it’s about gaining a better understanding of how to take the journey. It’s also about embracing why the journey should matter to each of is. As a summer replacement, this show was outstanding.

Comment by Lyn — Saturday April 27, 2013 @ 8:27am PDT
  • This was a very good show….a shame….the good ones go first….but it was on NBC, what do we expect?

Comment by SallyinChicago — Thursday September 20, 2012 @ 3:43am PDT
  • This doesn’t fit in at all with The Loser Channel’s “look who you’re better than, America!” branding. Unless they change the title to: “What Kind of Loser/Freak Do You Think you Are?”

Comment by The Loser Channel — Thursday September 20, 2012 @ 6:25am PDT
  • I’m not sure what NBC canceled it in the first place. The cost of production would have been extremely low since there is no reoccurring cast.

TLC would be a good home. I just hope they are able to get the same caliber of celebrities. It would be interesting to see them, every one and a while, do non-celebrity people of interest.

Comment by frenchjr25 — Thursday September 20, 2012 @ 7:16am PDT
  • OHH worst decision NBC ever did is cancel that show Who do you think you are no wonder why NBC ratings are in the tank I hoping TLC pick it up I hope PBS does another season of Henry Lloyd Gates Finding your roots I sent out for 23 kit find out that I have percentage of white North European and and Asian bloodline LOL!

Comment by Kelly — Thursday September 20, 2012 @ 9:08am PDT
  • I enjoyed this series and always felt it would better off as a cable series with a more targeted audience. The show has a lot of potential.

Comment by Sward — Thursday September 20, 2012 @ 9:52am PDT
  • Love “Who Do You Think You Are.” Hope it returns on TLC or some other cable outlet.

Comment by Chris F — Thursday September 20, 2012 @ 11:45am PDT
  • Dont do it. TLC will screw it up. Go elsewhere.

Comment by dont — Thursday September 20, 2012 @ 12:56pm PDT
  • There are so many people here in the USA that have an interest in WHO THEY THINK THEY ARE, need to come up with another series that
    would interest many folks, me included. Thanks

Comment by Gay Sharp — Friday October 12, 2012 @ 2:23pm PDT
  • Who Do You Think You Are is an educational informative program. I always enjoyed watching… I hate that NBC cancelled the program and I hope that one of the cable channels picks this up.

Comment by Karen Caldwell — Sunday November 18, 2012 @ 3:59am PST