Comic-Con: Drew Goddard Scripts New Ending To Brad Pitt’s ‘World War Z’

EXCLUSIVE: While reports had Damon Lindelof coming in to write a new ending to the Marc Forster-directed Brad Pitt-starrer World War Z, it actually was his Lost compadre Drew Goddard who did the bulk of the writing of the finale. Lindelof, who reworked Prometheus and co-wrote the Star Trek sequel, cracked a potential new ending of the film, but Lindelof didn’t have time to do the scripting so that task fell to Goddard, who most recently adapted Robopocalypse, which is Steven Spielberg’s next film at DreamWorks.

Related:‘World War Z’ Author, Movie Poster Maestro Drew Struzan Highlight Sunday Comic-Con

Both of those guys are off to other projects, so it’s quite possible that Paramount will tap another writer to punch up this ending — if the studio decides to use it. I’m hearing Christopher McQuarrie, whom the studio is high on after he adapted and directed Tom Cruise in Jack Reacher, based on the Lee Child novels. That isn’t set in stone because McQuarrie is Cruise’s go-to guy and he will be doing some script work on All You Need Is Kill, the Doug Liman-directed action film that Cruise will next star in after he completes Oblivion. So it is questionable whether he will be available or whether Paramount will need him. No date has been set for the reshoots that will be needed to implement the new ending, but insiders say Forster will be shooting those scenes.

Much has been written about the problems on WWZ, and while those problems are legitimate ones, that doesn’t mean this movie is going to be a train wreck. It’s based on a superb Max Brooks novel, and the angle — looking back on the thwarting of a zombie apocalypse — is an original one. There is still a lot to be excited about here.

• It’ll be exciting to see if it is a train wreck or not because it’s been a while since I read this many problems about one project.

It really does not inspire confidence if they have had to re-crack the ending and can’t seem to find anyone to then write it. Plus lengthy reshoots and date changes.

Comment by Zombie Kaboom — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 10:13am PDT
    • I too hope this film turns out well, because I really enjoy a good zombie flick, but Marc Forster? Who thought that was a good idea? “Hey we are making Max Brooks awesome zombie apocalypse novel “World War Z” into a large scale big budget motion picture starring Brad Pitt, you know who would be a good director for that? The guy who directed “Monsters Ball” and “Finding Neverland” two small scale (boring) human dramas. Oh right he also directed the big budget James Bond pic “Quantum of Solace”, yeah sure I remember that one, it was AWFUL, possibly the worst James Bond movie ever! Totally derailed the good will generated by “Casino Royale” a brilliant rebooting of the Bond franchise starring a terrific new Bond. Yeah lets hire him, I’m sure everything will work out perfectly!” I’m sure the cast and crew just loves sitting around twiddling their thumbs while this guy scratches his head trying to figure out what he’s doing in charge of this project.

Comment by Richard — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 10:54am PDT
      • Brad Pitt thought it was a good idea. He specifically picked him.

Comment by ... — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 4:35pm PDT
      • I’m sorry you weren’t cast in movie. That’s no reason to whine like a mule.

Comment by Sam — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 10:56pm PDT
    • At this point, it’s not so much reshoots as refilming, eh? I mean, seven plus weeks of reshoots – that’s an entire movie. I suspect they’re just trying to hide the fact that they’re scrapping much of the original film.

Comment by Kelly — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 12:20pm PDT
  • Of course they had to rewrite the ending. The joy of zombies movies is that anyone and everyone might die. But if you’re hero is looking back on the events of the zombie attack which all happened IN THE PAST, then you know he didn’t die.

Maybe they decided to do an ending like Savages where he died but he didn’t die.

Maybe he’s actually been a zombie all along, but he was one that could read, write and fly on a plain to China.

Or maybe he just sees dead people.

Comment by zombie lobby — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 10:26am PDT
  • Lindelof would’ve ended this with Jesus, Siddhartha, and Muhammad zombies all sliding in on a rainbow to save the day in some faux-spiritual bullshit ending.

Glad he didn’t have time to finish this.

Comment by GoodGuyGreg — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 10:35am PDT
  • It might be an OK movie, but they should have not bought the book if they didn’t even intend to have one scene match.

Comment by Matt M — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 10:46am PDT
  • Reminds me of the old CLUE movie with Tim Curry, based on the board game, which was released with four different endings — proving that the story arc was valueless and built to nothing, if you could bolt on whatever ending you wished.

Comment by TomF — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 10:50am PDT
  • “Lindelof, who reworked Prometheus”

Oh, lord, so it’s HIS fault!

What a patchwork of disjointed and incredibly silly set pieces THAT was.

It’s in WWZ’s favor that he wasn’t retained for his services. Good grief.

Comment by BKTH — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 10:53am PDT
  • I think Lindlelof is probably getting beat up enough right now and probably doesn’t want to be associated with this one given that it could be a bomb. I don’t blame him and I think it’s the smart move to back off. I’ve been a critic of DL these past couple years but I think he’s recieved the message and I think/hope he’s going to evolve. Let’s just take it down a notch with the Lindlelof bashing. Now it’s become way way beyond overkill, guys.

Comment by Ben — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 10:56am PDT
    • Yeah come on you guys, Ben is right, stop being such meanies to Damon Lindelof, he probably monitors the Deadline comments 24/7 and is practically suicidal over everyone pointing out the fact that the script to “Prometheus’ was an incredibly disappointing incomprehensible mess and a half, kinda like “Lost”. Lets all lie and say it was super awesome so he doesn’t get his feelings hurt. I just hope the fact he is rich and has more projects on his plate than he can handle makes him feel an eentsy bit better about himself.

Comment by Richard — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 12:00pm PDT
      • Lost was amazing, I have no idea why its now supposedly “cool” to think that Lost sucked because it had a weak ending. Not many shows remain that strong for so many years, and for several years Lost was the hottest thing on TV.

Rewatch Lost if you have forgotten what a great piece of TV that is.

Comment by sweden — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 2:02pm PDT
        • Sweden, Nobody’s disputing LOST was great TV, but when you devote all those hours to a show, sticking with it when it got weird, giving up and getting back to it again, you want ANSWERS and RESOLUTION.

It’s called a DENOUEMENT.

LOST’s sucked.

Then PROMETHEUS sucked.

Who’s the common factor here?

Comment by fluffo — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 2:09pm PDT
          • Your overinflated expectations?

Comment by FilmBuffRich — Thursday July 12, 2012 @ 4:05am PDT
          • Agreed: “Lost”s ending and final season made the entire series an incredible waste of time. There’s no way I could recommend that show to anyone who’s never seen it knowing full well how it wrapped up. “Prometheus” gave me that identical sinking feeling as I watched it, that feeling that “this is going nowhere”. I generally avoid the Lindelof brand these days, but fear not: he will continue to generate millions of dollars (just not from my pocketbook, is all).

Comment by Bill Bailey — Thursday July 12, 2012 @ 11:40am PDT
      • Fuck Lindelof. Big concepts, but he can’t stick a landing. Star Trek will probably suck, too. If he doesn’t like my post, he can dry his tears with all the $100 bills from his new writing deal while people with way more talent are out here delivering pizzas and putting up drywall in a recession. Failing up, what a concept.

Glad Goddard is now writing the ending. I liked Cloverfield. I just might end up leaving the theater satisfied.

Comment by ben linus — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 2:05pm PDT
      • I hated ‘Prometheus’ as much as anyone, but I am getting a little sick of the Lindelof-bashing. Ridley Scott shepherded the project, rejected another script and approved the Lindelof draft, talking up its ‘big ideas’ to the press.

I am not saying that Lindelof should be left off the hook, I just think he’s that maybe the filmmaker behind ‘Legend’, ‘G.I. Jane’, ‘White Squal’, ‘Someone to Watch Over Me’, ‘Black Rain’, ‘Robin Hood’, ‘Hannibal’ and ‘A Good Year’ (and, arguably, others) might not be the greatest storyteller in the world, too.

Comment by Alan — Thursday July 12, 2012 @ 12:31am PDT
        • Prometheus was great, but you suck mr. knowitall.

Comment by U SUX — Thursday July 12, 2012 @ 1:45am PDT
  • I am still waiting to see any scenes from the movie that match the book. It appears to me to more resemble 12 Monkeys than it does WWZ and since Pitt was in both….

Comment by Aleric — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 11:50am PDT
  • We’ve decided to end it without any ending at all we’ll just put up a “To Be Continued” and fade out. The movie will be 90 minutes instead of 110 minutes and we release the sequel a year later and the ending will become the beginning of part two. We’re always thinking here at Fake Paramount.

Comment by Fake Paramount — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 11:54am PDT
    • Just make sure to split the part two into two parts, because there is nothing more the audience likes than seeing the final film split into two separate films like that.

Comment by Ripsnorter — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 12:54pm PDT
    • Why not release the sequel first then release the original as a prequel and do a new sequel as a reboot after the second trilogy closes.

Comment by markLouis — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 12:59pm PDT
  • Any idea what the final budget will be after the re shoots and the platoon of screenwriters has gone through the revolving door?

Comment by digitalend — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 12:59pm PDT