‘Supernatural’ Taps New Co-Showrunner

Supernatural Sera GambleEXCLUSIVE: There is a change afoot at the helm of the CW’s veteran drama series Supernatural. Sera Gamble, who has been with the show since the beginning, serving as co-showrunner alongside Robert Singer for the past two seasons, will be stepping down. Word is that she opted not to renew her contract to focus on development. Jeremy Carver, executive producer/co-showrunner of Syfy’s Being Human, is joining Supernatural as an executive producer and will co-run the series with Singer next season. The CW has not made any formal renewal decisions yet but Supernatural is one of the network’s stronger ratings performers and is fully expected to return in the fall. This marks Carver’s return to Supernatural where he served as a co-producer¬† during the 2009-10 season before leaving to co-run with his wife Anna Fricke Syfy’s Being Human, which the two wrote together based on the British show. UTA-repped Carver will keep his executive producer credit on Being Human, which will now be run solo by Fricke, making them a rare couple of writer-producers showrunning two series at the same time. Supernatural creator Eric Kripke, who stepped down as the day-to-day showrunner after the show’s sixth season in 2010 when Gamble and Singer took over, remains an executive consultant.

• Good for Jeremy! He’s a really nice guy, and super(naturally) talented.

Comment by The King — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 4:04pm PDT
  • Jeremy Carver wrote some of the best episodes of the show like “A Very Supernatural Christmas” (3×08), “In The Begining” (4×03), “Changing Channels” (5×08) and “Free To Be You And Me” (5×03).

He gets the Winchesters and knows how to play with their (and our) emotions.

I wish good luck to Sera Gamble. Season 6 was a mess but i’m loving Season 7 so far.

Comment by peter — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 4:05pm PDT
    • I’m with Peter–”Changing Channels” and “A Very Supernatural Christmas” are the wittiest, most memorable TV episodes on this or any other network for some time. The dark humor and pop culture commentary are key to this show’s heart and soul. Welcome home, Jeremy!

Comment by Kristy — Thursday April 5, 2012 @ 6:14am PDT
  • I had quite a few issues with the last couple of seasons of Supernatural but this really makes me hopeful that it will return to form under Jeremy Carver’s guidance. As a fan of the original Being Human (BBC) I have been astounded at how the SyFy version has taken the basic concept and done so much more with it than I could have imagined, creating its own identity even by the halfway point of the first season. IMO Supernatural couldn’t be in better hands.

Comment by Rhian — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 4:16pm PDT
    • Why do you watch it then, just turn you tv over and leave the show to people who loves it. What right have you to tell them to ‘let it die’ there are a load of series’s that I hate, but I just don’t bother watching them. I would not dream of trying to get them canned because I don’t like them!!!!!!!

Comment by mary davies — Thursday April 5, 2012 @ 3:45am PDT
  • How about instead of tapping a new co-showrunner, we just let this show finally die? Eric Kripke only wanted five seasons…and wouldn’t you know? It started sucking after her left. And it hasn’t gotten any better. This was the series’ worst season to date and I just don’t see it getting better! It’s going to be the new “One Tree Hill”!

Comment by Mike — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 4:31pm PDT
    • I agree that the show really suffered under Sara Gamble. I also agree that Jeremy Carver wrote some really good episodes, which Sara never did write any memorable episodes, so I am hoping that the show will get good again. Maybe Kripke will take a bigger role this year too?

Comment by marc — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 5:04pm PDT
      • Actually Sera Gamble wrote “Jus In Bello” which is one of my favorite episodes, but I agree, she doesn’t seem to have the big picture vision and the show has suffered because of it. She should stick to writing episodes.

Comment by Jessica — Thursday May 17, 2012 @ 9:48pm PDT
    • It makes little sense to cancel your second rated show. Supernatural is maintaining its ratings and now has the potential to switch things up and continue to be a great series. I’m happy about this.

Comment by Percysowner — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 5:05pm PDT
    • Except it hasn’t started sucking. Yes, the past two seasons have had some problems, mainly last season, but it’s still been a very solid show most of the time.

Comment by Jeff — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 5:55pm PDT
      • Absolutely! All seasons have weaker episodes and in all of them you find some memorable ones. And to each its own. Sera Gamble has written incredible stuff like Jus in Bello, It’s A Terrible Life or Death’s Door. She’s been there since day one, I think she does know and understand the characters and the universe. To me, the major problem these two seasons has not been the general development of story line and characters but the death toll. Which wasn’t new to the series, for that matter (Ash, Pamela, Ellen and Jo, Anna, and a list of minor characters that could have also added texture to the SPN world were killed previously to Sera stepping up). But with Balthasar and Rufus, Bobby (and his house!), Cas, (now Frank?) the feeling of loss and loneliness is perhaps too heavy and the show seems at some points dangerously dark ad desperate. If some sense of hope is restored, however, we could have a wonderful final season 8. Congrats to J Carver, he also knows what’s it all about (I wonder however why it’s him coming back instead of Ben Edlund simply stepping up with Robert Singer, I suppose he isn’t interested in assuming so much commitment).
        I just wanted to say, Sera has done a substantially great job, I still had my hopes of the light coming back even before I knew about her leaving. And also, please, after TWO years, these who insist that the show should have ended with season five: I for one am utterly happy that Sam is not in hell forever! and also, a show or a book or any piece of art, ends when you stop watching or reading or listening. So, instead of complaining, just get yourself something better to watch and imagine it really ended then.

Comment by Eleonora — Thursday April 5, 2012 @ 12:39am PDT
    • You obviously haven’t enjoyed the good wealth WBTV and the show has spread out to our town…

Comment by Anonymous — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 6:36pm PDT
    • i so disagree. i just started watching the show a month ago and was so impressed that i watched all the past seasons streaming on netflix. season 5 was probably the best but i still find it to be the best show on television.
      kripke created it but everyone,the actors and writers, have built on what he started.

Comment by ron ryan — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 7:00pm PDT
    • Kripke did not just want 5 seasons, he admitted he lied to make sure the show wouldnt get canceled before the 5th season. I agree with Kristy, If you dont like the show and want them to “let it die” quit watching it! No one is making you watch it if you don’t like it don’t watch it and and you wont have anything to complain about! I absolutely Love Supernatural, I have watched it religiously since the premiere, have all the dvd boxed sets and I hope the show goes on for many, many years!

Comment by Hailey — Monday April 16, 2012 @ 6:07pm PDT
  • Welcome back, Mr. Carver. I missed you for a long time. Your “A Very Supernatural Christmas”(3.08) and “Mystery Spot”(3.11), “The Rapture”(4.20) and “Changing Channels”(5.08) are my favorite ones still now. :)

Comment by worrynet — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 4:52pm PDT
  • I love Sera, but if she is leaving I would’ve handpicked Jeremy to replace her. He has written some of my all-time favourite episodes not just of Supernatural but of any series, A Very Supernatural Christmas and Mystery Spot. I was so sad when we lost him to Being Human and I’m thrilled he’s returning. Welcome Back, Jeremy!!!!!

Comment by Mickey — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 5:26pm PDT
  • I have mixed feelings about this. I think Carver did well with Being Human but I have enjoyed Supernatural under Sera Gamble’s show running skills. I think season 7 has been very much about reconnecting Sam and Dean as brother’s by tying things back to the beginning of the series and bringing them forward.

I wish Sera the best. She is a talented lady.

Comment by Marla — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 5:42pm PDT
    • Sera Gamble is a no-talent who does not get the dynamic of Supernatural.Seasons six and seven are pure dross, wreckage to be abandoned by anyone with a functioning brain cell. Some SPN fans are like cult members, never acknowledging the show’s apparent problems, especially the one who is currently leaving the show. The truth is, the show should have ended in season three, before Cas, before Meta-Ep hell began. Dean should have just been left in Hell–because that would have been an epic cliffhanger–and think of the respect everyone would have had for SPN, with that body of episodes as its full legacy.

Comment by van — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 11:13pm PDT
  • I disagree, this series has a lot of life left in it!

Comment by Dean — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 5:43pm PDT
  • Such exciting news! I have not been happy with Gamble’s run of the show. It seems like she took up where Kripke left off and his disinterest in the show was clear by the way he wrote the “rant” in “Swan Song” and his failure to appear at the 100th party.

I enjoyed Jeremy Carver’s episodes and I am really excited by having some new blood and fresh vision coming on board! He’s done a great job with “Being Human” and distinguishing that show from the UK original and I fully expect him to bring that creativity and long term storytelling, to “Supernatural” and revitalize it for season 8!

Comment by Moe — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 6:21pm PDT
  • I love Supernatural and Being Human and I really hope this means the show will be picked up for another season. I’m looking forward to seeing where Jeremy Carver can take the story line.

Comment by monkles — Wednesday April 4, 2012 @ 6:45pm PDT