ABC Keeps ‘General Hospital’ On, Cancels ‘The Revolution’, Adds ‘GMA’ Afternoon Show For Summer

ABC The Revolution CancelledEXCLUSIVE: Soap fans can rejoice — I’ve learned that ABC will keep its only remaining daytime drama General Hospital on the air while canceling freshman talk show The Revolution. The news ends months of speculation about what will happen to the venerable soap whose long-time 3 PM slot will be taken over by Katie Couric’s new syndicated talk show in the fall. With Katie joining ABC’s daytime lineup, General Hospital and new lifestyle series The Chew and The Revolution, which replaced canceled soaps All My Children and One Life To Live, have been competing for two slots, with Disney-ABC TV Group president Anne Sweeney stating early on that the two stronger performers will make the cut. Revolution, which currently occupies the 2 PM time period that will lead to Katie in most markets, never found its legs ratings-wise and will end its run at the beginning of July. For the following nine weeks, starting on July 9 until Katie premieres on Sept. 10, GMA AfternoonABC will air a special Good Morning America-branded hourlong show alongside GH and The Chew. Details about new new program, tentatively titled GMA In The Afternoon, are still being finalized, but it is expected to be generally broader and lighter than the regular GMA unless there is a breaking story, which the afternoon show will jump on. The expansion of the GMA franchise comes as the morning program has been on a ratings roll, dramatically narrowing the gap with long-time ratings leader Today. GMA In The Afternoon is expected to feature some personalities from the morning show, with Josh Elliott and Lara Spencer among those talked about, and will also likely be used as a platform to break new talent. The reshuffling of ABC’s daytime deck, including the decision to stick with GH, represents the first major move by EVP Vicki Dummer, who took over ABC Daytime following the December departure of Brian Frons, the man responsible for the cancellations of AMC and OLTL.

With The Revolution hitting a string of lows over the last few weeks and drawing a little more than half of the audience of GH and The Chew, it is understandable why ABC opted to keep GH, which is down year-to-year but still higher-rated than both The Chew and The Revolution, instead of angering fans by killing another beloved soap for a show that hasn’t proven itself. The renewal comes on the heels of GH drawing 2.26 million viewers for the week of March 26, a up a tenth from the previous week. The Chew (2.21 million) was up 8%, while The Revolution (1.33 million) remained low, in line with its series-low viewership for the previous two weeks (1.33 million, 1.32 million). What’s more, while The Chew‘s ratings have been largely on par with those of the soap it replaced, AMC, at a fraction of the production cost, The Revolution (average of 1.5 million viewers to date, 337,000 of them in the women 18-49 demographic) is down 44% in total viewers and 51% in W18-49 from OLTL‘s deliveries. Among the the three, GH is the highest rated in women 18-49 by a wide margin (most recently a 0.9/6 for the week of March 26 vs. 0.6/4 The Chew and 0.4/3 for The Revolution), so, while I hear ABC is not ready to lock in its daytime schedule for next season yet, it would make sense to keep The Chew at 1 PM and put GH at 2 PM as a lead-in for Katie on the ABC stations, the core station group that will carry Couric’s new syndicated talker.

Related: ‘Revolution’s Renewal Chances Slim After Series Lows, ‘General Hospital’s Look Better

The renewal ensures that GH, which marked 49 years on the air on April 1, will celebrate its 50th anniversary next April. It is the longest-running U.S. soap opera currently in production. Created by husband-and-wife soap writers Frank and Doris Hursley, GH also holds the record for most Daytime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Drama Series: 10.

• Good news, even though I no longer watch GH. It is still a sentimental favorite, and I prefer scripted television to “reality” t.v. I still miss All My Children.

Comment by Linda — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 2:33pm PDT
    • Not that I’m telling you what to do, I am not okay, but GH is the BEST of soaps and it really is and is still getting so terriffic, I’m glad it’s not CANCELLED, sorry I don’t agree with your comment on you thinking GH should be cancelled, but GH is so strong and holding it’s own that it’swhy I beleve it’s not and wasn’t Cancelled.

Comment by Lori Facas — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 10:04pm PDT
      • GH is great. If ABC was smart they could look into an old SOAP for the replacement of the Rev. They would be smart to look at “Dark Shadows”. Dose anyone remember this show? Vampires and the like. It was black and white. It kept you on the edge of your seat all the time. Certainly would be better than another reality show, talk show or game show. Actually, they could re cast this show and update to color. However, this would be expensive no doubt and ABC is not looking to spend a lot of money. Purchasing the rights to re run “Dark Shadows” , not so expensive. I think it could be a good idea for a replacement until they come up with a better idea.

Comment by Harry — Friday April 13, 2012 @ 9:15am PDT
        • love the Dark Shadows idea, since the remake featuring John Depp will be coming out soon. But when it comes to ABC I don’t believe anyone over there is thinking!!I am just so happy to hear we will not leave GH, though.

Comment by paula — Saturday April 14, 2012 @ 12:28am PDT
        • Remember the spin off Port Charles, more recently than dark shadows? I love the innuendos between Sam and John referring to it. Maybe they could morph another?

Comment by suefaye — Tuesday May 29, 2012 @ 10:13pm PDT
          • I loved Port Charles. I think that would be a great idea to bring back that show. I was so mad when Port Charles got cancelled with no warning.

Comment by gloria — Thursday July 19, 2012 @ 10:05pm PDT
        • Thrilled about GH ! I hate these phoney so-called reality shows.

No ” Dark Shadows”. There’s too many demonic based show on TV as it is .

Comment by ETHEL — Wednesday June 27, 2012 @ 2:37pm PDT
        • I remember dark shadows I loved that show I am glad gh is staying on but still not sure what time it will be

Comment by Anonymous — Monday July 9, 2012 @ 9:00pm PDT
      • I agree, General Hospital is the best. I have been watching it for 33 years and schedule things around it so I can watch it every day. I love the old and the new characters and how they recently brought back some of my favorites, like Anna and Robert Scorpio.
        The Chew totally gets on my nerves, but I love the Revolution and can’t believe they got the axe! The Revolution builds up women and makes them challenge themselves in all matters of life. I love the weight loss challenges and to see how so many women’s success stories has helped me make changes in my life. Harley offers the fitness move of the day and provides his audience with information similar to Dr. Oz. Fashion, health and fitness, isn’t our nation starving for good information and over weight from too CHEWing?
        Watch what you’re doing ABC, get rid of General Hospital and I will change networks!

Comment by Sue — Friday April 27, 2012 @ 1:51pm PDT
        • I agree with you 100% about the Revolution – great show and I was disappointed to hear that it was cancelled. I tried to like the Chew but it rubs me the wrong way. I guess ratings speak for themselves though.

Comment by Cathy — Thursday May 10, 2012 @ 2:15pm PDT
          • What I want to know is, who even watches the CHEW??????
            to me this show is so annoying, along with the people on it.
            this should of gone before the Revolution.
            But I don’t like either show…… Keep GH as long as you can>>>>>>

Comment by Robin — Wednesday June 6, 2012 @ 5:56pm PDT
          • I think ABC should spit the Chew out also and bring back All My Children! Too much reality tv that does nothing for alot of people.

Comment by Linda — Wednesday July 4, 2012 @ 1:19pm PDT
          • I love the Revolution. I can’t even get through a whole show of the Chew. The Revolution has a variety of things that are done. There’s only so much I can watch about cooking. Put it on the cooking channel.

Comment by Stephanie — Thursday July 5, 2012 @ 8:37am PDT
          • Totally agree that it is a shame that they cancelled The Revolution. It was a show of substance and really inspiring people to change their habits and move forward. The show was replaced by something that is just more of the same of what is seen on the morning shows. I dont think it was ratings, I think it was Hollywood politics.

Comment by Annonymous — Wednesday July 11, 2012 @ 1:45pm PDT
          • I don’t like The Chew either, but I really enjoyed The Revolution. I am very disappointed it was canceled. Although I have faithfully watched GMA for 25 years and love the morning crew, including Josh & Lara, I really dislike this afternoon version. Glad it’s only a temporary fill in, but they should have left The Revolution on. I would rather have another show in Oprah’s spot at 4 instead of more local news. They repeat the same stuff over & over.

Comment by Anonymous — Wednesday July 18, 2012 @ 12:15pm PDT
          • I am SO disappointed that the Revolution has been discontinued! It was encouraging people to make a positive change in their lives. I also enjoy The Chew, even though the continuous laughter gets annoying at times. Why, oh why, do we need another Talk/News Show with the same people who we see all morning??? Come on ABC! Give someone else a chance!

Comment by Linda — Monday July 30, 2012 @ 11:22am PDT
        • really going to miss the revolution…i found it totally inspiring! it got me to start my own revolution

Comment by Anonymous — Thursday May 24, 2012 @ 8:22pm PDT
          • Goes to show you what us Americans are more concerned with….soaps instead of health shows giving us ideas, inspiration, etc. to a better life. I love soaps as well, being retired, but the Revolution was one I hated at first, now I really look forward to it. Lots of better food choices, better way to live and feel good about ourselves….but…sigh…we want gossip, hatred, disfunctional families. Oh well….

Comment by Shirley — Thursday May 31, 2012 @ 11:35am PDT
          • so did I

Comment by Anonymous — Friday June 22, 2012 @ 9:34pm PDT
          • will greatly miss the rev., but still love the chew !

Comment by jane duggan — Tuesday July 10, 2012 @ 11:59am PDT
          • I reaalyy liked the revoloution it was a great show It had inspiring stories of evryday people and made me start my own revoluiton as well with retweeking m weight loss journey. It’s a shame it got replaced by the extension of Good moorning America called Goodmorning America. Abc should have kept The revolution because the replacement is not good.

Comment by Lawanda — Friday July 20, 2012 @ 6:02pm PDT
        • Ditto to GH. Did not like the Revolution. Will quit watching ABC if it keeps changing.

Comment by Anonymous — Monday May 28, 2012 @ 5:14pm PDT
        • I totally agree with you. The Chew is SO annoying. Poor Mario. All they do is talk over each other and laugh. Can’t follow a recipe and forget the website… it sucks. The Revolution is a great show. The network just isn’t giving it a chance (maybe it’s the time slot?). Where the heck do they get these ratings from anyway? Neilson boxes? They need to get with this century. What the 10 people that have those boxes watch, obviously doesn’t count for much. Look how many shows have been cancelled then later picked up by cable channels and are doing well. I haven’t watched anything on ABC for many years. The Revolution brought me back but now that I hear the new line up, I’m gone again. View, Chew, Pew!

Comment by Samantha — Friday June 15, 2012 @ 10:23pm PDT
          • I agree with you boring Chew sitting around laughing and etc: getting paid for it these are all well to do celeberties they have made their mark and monies many times over . These shows take away the younger generations trying to make it on TV and a good living. We have so many doctor shows cooking shows talk shows come on let us common folk have our good old escape with our Soap Opera’s .

Comment by Roberta — Thursday October 25, 2012 @ 5:27pm PDT
        • ABC, ADMIT YOU MADE A BIG MISTAKE BY TAKING OFF ONE LIFE TO LIVE AND ALL MY CHILDREN!! You wanted to try something new it didn’t work, so bring the shows back, if they can bring Dallas back after all these years. You have great writers they can come up with Great Story Lines on where the Actors, and Actress have been over this Year. I’m sure many of the Actors and Actresses are still available, and would be more than willing to come back to Their Fans. Didn’t You get the hint, the only reason Your station was completely bandit was because of General Hospital. Years ago, You brought Bobby Ewing back from the dead by playing an entire Season as a dream, and Dallas, Fans stood by Their Show. I bet if You do a Special on both One Life To Live and All My Children, You will see, We the Fans are still here waiting for You to realize You made a mistake. Bring them both back!!! Good Luck to the Actors and Actresses of both shows who We miss very much. Hope You will be back on Our TV’s soon, We’re waiting for You. Can’t wait to see what the writers come up with on what You have been doing over the past months. Chew can move to the cooking channel. The Revolution didn’t make sense, Hopefully Tye will bring the Extreme Home Makeover!!

Comment by Judy — Wednesday June 20, 2012 @ 9:59pm PDT
          • I hate both the Chew and the Revolution and believe you should bring back All My Children and One Life To Live. Enough food and talk shows during day. We need our soaps back…..

Comment by Janice Guthrie — Sunday June 24, 2012 @ 4:39pm PDT
          • sence the revolution is canceled bring back all my children or one life to live the chew needs to go to

Comment by sandi — Monday July 2, 2012 @ 12:32pm PDT
          • I agree 100%! ABC really made a big mistake when they cancelled AMC and One Life to Live. Then, they kept making mistakes by cancelling two other shows that I really liked, GCB and Missing. Stop making these awful mistakes. I am glad that the guy responsible for cancelling AMC and One Life to Live is no longer with ABC. He made some awful choices. So, do all of us a favor and at least bring back AMC and One Life to Live. I continue to watch General Hospital. Now, if you cancel it. I am cancelling ABC from my television!!!

Comment by CFields — Tuesday July 10, 2012 @ 11:40am PDT
          • I totally agree….ABC you made a big mistake by cancelling our soaps….Please bring back One Life to Live!!! I miss my daytime drama families and all the great stories that the writers come up with. some may be far from believable but I still love it every day. I too am still waiting for you to bring back OLTL!!! I miss it so much and will continue not to watch ABC until 3 pm for GH.

Comment by kmills — Tuesday July 10, 2012 @ 6:53pm PDT
          • I stopped watching ABC daytime when they cancelled my beloved soaps, AMC and OLTL. now ABC must be realizing their blunder. kmills said it well–bring back OLTL. don’t like and have never watched GH. I miss my beloved soaps–they were a wonderful escape from life’s daily grind. The chew is nauseating. If Dallas can be ressurrected (and is a huge hit) so can OLTL and AMC.

Comment by Kathie — Sunday July 29, 2012 @ 2:09pm PDT
          • I so totally agree with this comment. I won’t turn my TV to ABC on at 1:00 or @ 2:00pm simply for the fact that they canceled my beloved soaps, AMC & OLTL. You have really made some bad decisions by putting on real it TV during midday TV. Get with the program. You cancel GH and I will no longer watch ABC shows.

Comment by Tmarzteresamarzec — Monday July 30, 2012 @ 7:51pm PDT
          • I am a long, long, time viewer of ABC, All my Children and One Life to Live. I was devistated when removed. Somedays I would revolve my errands to watch these addictive shows. The fact there is so many reality shows, cooking shows, decorating shows, are OK, but putting them together when you have other choices to watch the specific shows you want, is enough. Listen to the people out there,
            we are watching, giving ratings. The people want these shows back,
            I am concerned for General Hospital time slot. Yes we have all watched 1:00 – 3:00, but sometimes are long time watchers, are working and have changed lives. I read maybe the reason G.H. might have made it – because people might have been home from work at that time. So please think it out – even 4:0′clock, when the day people are home.

Thanks for Soap Network – it gave us the opportunity to catch up while we might have been out. But WE DID CATCH UP TO WATCH OUR FAVORITE PROGRAMS. WE MISS ALL MY CHILDREN – ONE LIFE TO LIVE –
            AND WE WILL MISS GH IF TAKEN OFF.

I FOR ONE, MADE BY TV BLACK 1 – 2 IN REBELLION OF MY SHOWS OFF THE AIR. EVEN IF YOU MAKE OUR FAVORITE SHOWS 1/2 HR. OR MAYBE BLEND ERICA WITH SONNY SOME HOW, WOW YOU THINK TODD IS EXPLOSIVE WITH SONNY?

I am so glad I got my opportunity to write. please especially the baby boomers, bring them back.

Comment by Kathi Griffin — Thursday August 9, 2012 @ 6:39am PDT
        • I am so glad that ABC woke up and decided to keep General Hospital expecially since the writing has been so great with great story lines right now. I vowed to never watch the Chew or Revolution when they took away my favorite soaps. AMC and OLTL. Both had so much more story to tell. I know that I don’t make any difference in the big picture, but, just for the record I have kept that vow and I really thought that I was going to have to cross ABC off my viewing schedule altogather. I am so glad that is not happening. Thank you.

Comment by carolyn — Friday June 22, 2012 @ 10:57pm PDT
          • What wrong with ABC? They loss their mind, we are tired of food diet and excited every day.They need to put these program on another channel, When I am having a hectic day I need to get away from my problems and enjoy a afternoon of fantastic to make a life a little better.

Comment by Mellain — Thursday July 5, 2012 @ 11:43am PDT
          • Bring back or soaps.All the new shows are no good.Boring I really think they will not last.

Comment by Mary — Friday August 17, 2012 @ 12:30am PDT
        • Oh I wish they cancelled The Chew. The one guy’s laugh grates my nerves to no end. Stopped watching because of all the hosts’ “holier than thou” attitudes.

Comment by christine — Friday July 6, 2012 @ 10:10am PDT
        • I LOVE LOVE LOVE The Revolution! I am shocked and so sad that it has been cancelled ! I learned something new every day – I especially enjoyed the fashion and health segments! Maybe you can use the co-hosts as regular guests on Katie’s show! TIm Gunn is the best!

Comment by Susan — Friday July 6, 2012 @ 1:33pm PDT
          • abc should realize that the people who what soap are not the same who watch the reveloution this is an intelligent and entertaining show you always feel good after you see it. it was inspiring and informative there is a place for the chew its called the food chanel. there is no other program like the reveloution on t.v. abc should reconsider.

Comment by rosie — Saturday July 7, 2012 @ 6:08am PDT
          • I also love the Revolution. I refuse to watch the Talk the hippocrits. The Revolution was so well balanced compared to the rest. I only recorded the Revolution and The View. Such a mistake not to let the opportunity to find an audience. A place to get good advice instead of housewife drama or Kardashian bolona. So many positives in this negative world.

Comment by Artina — Monday July 9, 2012 @ 7:29pm PDT
        • WHY have you guys been watching these shows if you’re such GH fans?! I can see other people who like GH.. even love it watching the other shows. But not people who claim ABC will be done to them if they cancel GH. Do you realize that GH and The Revolution were competing for that time slot? Who ever got most views? So why would you give the competition views?!!!!! SMH

Comment by Angry GH Fan — Wednesday August 1, 2012 @ 9:47pm PDT
        • I couldn’t disagree more. As a show i love the chew and detested the revolution. The bottom line is it wasn’t entertaining or informative because the hosts weren’t entertaining or informative. They were FAKE all the time. I agree that women need motivation and information about health (and we really don’t need to be encouraged to CHEW anymore) but the revolution was not effective. It was ANNOYING, so nobody watched it that’s it.

Comment by Marie — Tuesday August 21, 2012 @ 4:30pm PDT
      • Very disappointing to see OLTL replaced by a show that many knew wouldn’t make it. Nice blend was made to GH. Now it’s still a great show and fun to still watch especially with the added flavor of OLTL. Keep it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Susan Davoren — Thursday May 10, 2012 @ 8:52am PDT
        • Bring back one life to live!

Comment by suefaye — Tuesday May 29, 2012 @ 10:15pm PDT
          • Now the Revolution is canceled, they need to bring back One Life to Live as soon as possible. I hate reality tv.

Comment by Karin — Tuesday June 5, 2012 @ 9:22am PDT
          • Hated the CHEW and theRevolution–there are far too many makeover and food shows on both Cable and regular networking. Reality shows are a joke###There have to be cameras and people around and the subjects are aware they are being filmed–and they are acting natural?? Come on get real!!!! I like the soaps because they take you away from hum-drum everyday life and its a get-a-way for an hour or two in which you get involved with characters you love to love or love to hate. I really miss OLTL and AMC and hate the 2p.m. time slot for GH I probably won’t get to watch it much. Enough of Talk Shows, Reality and Food Shows Yuck Yuck.

Comment by hedy lupus — Monday June 18, 2012 @ 2:25pm PDT
          • I agree since the Revolution is cancelled why not bring One Life To Live back or All My Children

Comment by SUNNI — Wednesday June 20, 2012 @ 4:31pm PDT
          • I am sooooooo sorry ABC’s daytime lineup is not working out.NOT!!! Since many of the OLTL actors are playing their old roles on GH why not bring it back? I have not watched ANY ABC shows since oltl was cancelled, not a one. I miss GH but oh well, ABC does not deserve my time or its sponsors my money if they can not listen to their own fans and what they want. I have discovered many more shows on other networks and I have to say I miss the news on ABC the most and GMA. I really liked them alot. But the Today show gets my viewership and CBS and USA are really competing for night time drama slots. Please consider bringing back OLTL, I will return to watching ABC. Thankyou

Comment by mommy7toad — Tuesday July 3, 2012 @ 10:45am PDT
          • OLTL’s Facebook fans said they would not watch the Revolution because it was replacing OLTL. Way too many talk shows! So we will have GMA, the View, the Chew, Good Afternoon America & Katie Couric! What a boring line up….everyone just sitting around talking all day! How exciting is that???
            IMO you should have left well enough alone…AMC, OLTL followed by GH ! :)

Comment by Dawn — Wednesday July 4, 2012 @ 3:22pm PDT
        • BRING BACK ONE LIFE TO LIVE!!! Thanks for keeping GH!! And the blending of the characters of the 2 shows is genius!!! There are WAY WAY to many MAKEOVER GET HEALTHY shows on now. I believe that impacts our overweight, low esteemed people even worse!! Example “why did they not pick me” or ” I will never be like that might as well eat the entire cake. What’s the use!!!!” How about an easy yoga show people can do in their home and not be embarrassed for 1/2 hour. 1/2 hour of Katie, If you must. And then send these bored neglected housewives to dreamland (I am speaking for myself) with the 2 greatest soaps EVER!!!!!!!!

Comment by Deborah Ashby — Monday June 25, 2012 @ 11:38am PDT
      • I am glad that GH is remaining. I for one grow up watching it and watched some of the cast grow up like once Elizabeth Webber, Kimberly Anne McCullough, and a few others. And then what about those to love to hate. GH after all these years still keeps it real.

Comment by David — Sunday July 15, 2012 @ 2:53pm PDT
      • My Favorite soap was One Life to Live, I was devastated when it went off the air. Thank goodness my 2nd favorite show, Gen. Hospital will go on. I was wondering what “Soap” fans would do for good drama during the day. I taught over 40 years and always taped the ABC soaps, what a good release at the end of the day. Soaps kept me going during my divorce, I realized things could be worse! Thank you for keeping Gen. Hosp. I thought Revolution was a dud. Too many talk shows on now, go back to stories.

Comment by Rhea Carey — Wednesday September 5, 2012 @ 9:02am PDT
    • Can we bring back OLTL then since the Revolution is cancelled which I knew it would tank.

Comment by Janice — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 10:01am PDT
      • you know, I really wish they would just give us back our soaps.I really miss OLTL and AMC. I don’t need another talk show/news show/food show/reality trash show. I only watch abc at 3pm, then I leave it at 4 pm. I have no intention of ever supporting any network or show that has replaced my soaps,end of story.
        To be perfectly honest, I am almost at the point of not watching television at all for all the garbage it has on these days.

Comment by elaine bernard — Friday April 13, 2012 @ 7:38am PDT
        • I completely agree with you and do not watch ABC any longer except local news. They really ruined my retired life. I looked forward to being able to watch my soaps until I died.

Comment by Donna Bergman — Tuesday April 17, 2012 @ 9:09am PDT
          • awwww :(

Comment by Marie — Tuesday August 21, 2012 @ 4:33pm PDT
        • I agree stop the political left so called entertainment, food has tole uspeople are too fat remember Ms. O is the food cop, the GMA is just Couric will also fail we want our Soaps back. OLTL AMC, men watch soaps too.

Comment by Sarah Dean — Tuesday April 17, 2012 @ 10:34am PDT
        • Bring back OLTL and AMC – enough of reality, talk, and cooking shows………….. I miss my soaps, and haven’t watched ABC daytime since they went off the air!

Comment by gerri — Tuesday April 24, 2012 @ 8:42am PDT
          • ABC/Disney is banned in my house except for 1 hour a day to watch GH. I have been a loyal ABC soaps fan and am boycotting them until they listen to the people who actually watch ABC daytime. Taking soapnet off the air just made me even angrier. Someone needs to tell these suits what women [and men] want on daytime!!!

Comment by Kristi Hall — Sunday April 29, 2012 @ 2:33pm PDT
        • I’m with you. I stopped watching ABC when they took AMC off the air and I refuse to watch “Live” replacements on principal. (I still watch GH) I had hoped that the total lack of positive response, which translates into advertising dollars, by the viewers would cause ABC to stampede back to programming the public actually enjoyed and wanted to watch. I MISS OUR SOAPS because all my life they have been there and I, as yet, have found nothing to replace them or even comes close.So, I just don’t watch. I heard they are taking Nate Burkus off too. It certainly wouldn’t watch “The Chew”, which is the worst, or anything else on in the afternoon on ABC. They turned their back on the viewing public and deserve the total slump it has caused.
          BRING BACK OUR SOAP FAMILIES.

Comment by QDP2T1 — Tuesday April 24, 2012 @ 10:01am PDT
        • We agree!! My girlfriends and I all say if ABC cancels GH they will lose a lot of viewers, and not only for that time slot. As the Revelution bombed so will any show they decide to put in the time slots that AMC and OLTL once held. People will just not watch because there are too many shows out there like The Doctors, Dr. Phil and Oz and then all the cooking shows. We don’t understand why ABC would take long running beloved soaps off the air and try and replace it with a show you can see any time of the day on any other channel. So now people just don’t watch ABC out of spite! If they want a cooking or Dr. show they watch them on any channel but ABC!!!

Comment by Anonymous — Monday May 21, 2012 @ 6:16am PDT
          • I totally agree that ABC is losing it. I have been watching GH since 1965. Everyday I would have the soaps on from 1pm till 4pm & work my daily stuff around them. I so miss OLTL & AMC. I will change my entire day to fit the new 2PM time slot for GH. If they go off the air after their 50th, I’m afraid that ABC will lose me as a viewer.

Comment by Anonymous — Monday August 20, 2012 @ 1:19pm PDT
        • I AGREE!!!!

Unfortunately the cast of OLTL and AMC will have moved to other projects by now and as stated in the articles about this turn of events, the OLTL writer(s) have gone to GH.

Hey ABC!!!! Keep chasing the big bucks instead of keeping the ‘tried and true’!!!!

Ever hear of the Tortoise and the Hare?!?!

Comment by Pam — Monday May 28, 2012 @ 4:25pm PDT
          • WELL SAID!!!!!!!! TOTALLY AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Deborah Ashby — Monday June 25, 2012 @ 11:39am PDT
        • Yes! Isn’t it a tragedy that they got rid of AMC and OLTL to be replaced by those other shows? The ABC soap opera line-up including General Hospital were my favorite TV shows ever(been watching for over 20 years practically every weekday) and I miss them very much. Thank God we still got GH! If they take it off, I’ll be done with ABC period.

Comment by Anonymous — Wednesday June 6, 2012 @ 2:49pm PDT
      • BRING BACK MY SOAPS. I quit watching ABC (other than GH) because of that. I hate the new shows that replaced them.

Comment by Patti — Tuesday April 17, 2012 @ 12:05pm PDT
        • I agree with you 100% — After AMC and OLTL went off the air, I did what you did — turned the T. V. off, with the exception of GH! Let’s hope for AMC and OLTL to have a big COMEBACK soon!

Comment by Sharon — Wednesday April 25, 2012 @ 11:41am PDT
          • Totally agree. Only watch GH & hope they bring back other soaps. Sick of reality & talk shows.

Comment by Nana — Friday May 4, 2012 @ 1:18pm PDT
          • Bring back AMC and ONE LIfe to Live!!!!!!!! Never watch the CHEW or the REVOLUTION!!!!! Even with Josh will turn off Afternoon American!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Pam — Thursday June 28, 2012 @ 6:13pm PDT
        • I have never watched the chew or the revolution…other than GH moving to the OLTL spot….I will NEVER watch anything that ABC puts in that spot….The only thing they can do to redeam themselves is bring back AMC and OLTL.

Comment by beth — Saturday September 1, 2012 @ 6:47pm PDT
      • I agree! Gice us back OLTL, keep GH , and if you can get them back consider giving us back AMC! I miss the soaps! My mom is 85 years old and has watched OLTL and GH since they began! Now she sleeps in her chair before and after GH. PLEASE don’t take that away too.

Comment by Tami — Saturday May 5, 2012 @ 8:16am PDT
      • IF ONLY they could reinstate OLTL!!!!! I watched for nearly 30 years and the storyline, at the time of cancellation, was VERY good!

I swore, even tho I didn’t watch AMC anymore, that I would never watch ‘The Chew’….and never have! OLTL was ‘my’ show and I have NEVER watched ‘The Revolution’ either!

I hope the brainless wonders who killed our soaps will be fired over this! They deserve at least that!!!!

Comment by Pam — Monday May 28, 2012 @ 4:20pm PDT
      • I agree Bring One Life TO Live back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Anonymous — Monday June 4, 2012 @ 6:32pm PDT
      • I just don’t get ABC/Disney. They drop AMC and One Life to put in these food and talk shows that they “were sure” to bring in more money and ratings? Do we the fans, not matter? I’m sure there will be firings of the decision makers in this deal, just a matter of time.

Comment by christine — Friday July 6, 2012 @ 10:15am PDT
    • They can take off the “Chew” as well as there are so many food network programs. I would rather see the “Chew” go then the “Revolution” and bring back the other “AMC”

Comment by hi there — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 10:38am PDT
      • Sure, ABC possibly COULD bring back All My Children, but they should cancel The View, not The Chew. I’m ok with GH moving to 2pm followed by The Katie Couric Show. Just think; The Chew at 11:00am, Local News at 12:00 Noon, All my Children 2.0 at 1:00pm, General Hospital at 2:00pm and The Katie Couric Show at 3:00pm. What a line up!!!

Comment by Frank St.John — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 1:46pm PDT
    • Would never watch “The Chew” or “Revolution”. Who needs all that reality stuff? Bring back the soaps, still miss them. I never watched GH, but watch it now due to the OLTL characters being woven into their story line. It was never as good as AMC or OLTL. ABC screwed up royally.

Comment by Colleen — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 3:30pm PDT
      • People who watch the daytime soap operas are a steady audiance they will watch out of loyalty why not have a soap channel put them all together did ABC think this was the same audiuance/ after all these years they brought back dallas if they put in on people will watch but some of us have moved on from living thru some one else like the reveloution it will be sorely missed . think this thru it makes sence.

Comment by rosie — Saturday July 7, 2012 @ 6:27am PDT
    • Please, Please bring back One Life To Live and just admit a huge mistake was made by canceling our long time soap.

Comment by csherman — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 10:56pm PDT
      • ABC admit you made a mistake and bring back AMC and OLTL.
        I am a long time viewer of channel 7 soaps and now i refuse to watch channel 7 in protest to cancelling these 2 popular shows. It has however made me change to channel 4 to watch Days in my thirst for daytime drama. WISE UP ABC!!!!

Comment by Tammy — Monday April 16, 2012 @ 11:05am PDT
        • I hated you got rid of both our soaps and I know a lot of people including me quit watching ABC except dancing with the stars & now love Missing & GH. I don’t know how you figured the ratings because toward the beginning of the chew, it was taking the first few minutes of GH that I had it taped. There are to many retired people that take a lunch break & rest period to watch the soaps or tape them so they want miss them. Men and women watch them, plus younger people.

Comment by Mary Duncan — Thursday April 19, 2012 @ 5:47am PDT
    • I dont see the network’s fascination with Miss PRISSY, golden girl-Katie Couric. Who needs another talk show? Here’s a novel idea…We don’t need to hear THREE SOLID HOURS of ABC Eyewitness News!!!. Why not replace the four oclock news (Oprah’s esteemed spot) with Katie Couric (if they must) and leave GH in its spot.

Comment by Genevieve Witek — Friday April 13, 2012 @ 2:52pm PDT
      • Yeah, I don’t get the Katie Couric thing either. I have never liked her! It really makes me sick that ABC is willing to pony up so much $$$$$ for the likes of KC….yuck!

Comment by Sue — Monday June 4, 2012 @ 9:44pm PDT
        • Kc’s show won’t last long…Disney will have to bring back our soaps because nothing else has the staying power. I think the only reason The Chew is still on is because so many are in the habit of tuning in at that time…it’s a great time slot.

Comment by christine — Friday July 6, 2012 @ 10:22am PDT
    • Bring AMC and OLTL back, please no more talk show, cooking shows,reality shows. Just bring the soaps back.

Comment by Virginia Tilton — Tuesday April 17, 2012 @ 2:42pm PDT
      • I agree, Please Bring back our soaps. I really miss One Life To Live.

Comment by Kathleen — Thursday April 19, 2012 @ 4:44pm PDT
      • Bring back all my children & 0ne life to live, sick of talk shows. They are boring. Plz

Comment by rosie — Tuesday April 24, 2012 @ 8:55am PDT
    • Why did ABC have to rock the boat. BRING back AMC and OLTL. Do we really need another cooking show or, not quite sure what you would call The Revolution. After 40 years of following these shows you had to pull the plug and replace them with this!!!!!!! These shows are just knock off’s plus Katie could not make it READING the news you think she is going to be a big hit here, LOL.

A very bad decision was made here.

Comment by TMcGriskin — Thursday May 10, 2012 @ 12:34pm PDT
    • Here’s a thought. Why not curtail the TV watching and DO something. Read, walk, write, or any number of things that improves our lives. Chose to live a full life not the empty or repetitive lives we see in the soaps. They were cancelled. Don’t cancel yourselves. Yes, it is easier to watch the “living gossip” that is a soap. Don’t we owe it to ourselves to be and to do better?

Comment by Martha — Thursday June 7, 2012 @ 11:13pm PDT
    • I did find the revolution very good for health and nutrition for all ages. My five daughters and I enjoyed watching it and getting tips on health etc. I am sad to see it going since it was real information we all used.

Comment by Rita Weaver — Thursday June 14, 2012 @ 11:50am PDT
    • I agree… I still miss All My Children, too! In my opinion, ABC blew it again, canceling the wrong show (I much prefer AMC to The Chew — much as I love Mario Batali and Michael Simon from The Food Network, I just can’t take Carla Hall, so seldom watch the show. I liked the variety of The Revolution, with a nice touch on health, fitness, fashion and home repair/crafts. I will miss it.

Comment by Nanee G — Monday July 9, 2012 @ 11:29am PDT
      • I agree…I really like Michael and Mario,,but Carla hall really adds nothing to the show.although she thinks she can dance,why do the have Daphene Oz on the show she isn’t a chef and she reports she is a vegetarion but she is always first to get a plate with any of the meat dishes the cook and digs in,she needs to stop trying to cash in on he fathers moments..Don’t move GH,then I won’t have anyone to argue with,my Granddaughter says it’s only a soap and it’s not real but its good.

Comment by nancy — Thursday July 12, 2012 @ 2:30pm PDT
    • I have watched the ABC soaps for many years, as my parents did. Enjoyed them all and was so very disappointed when ANY OF THEM were cancelled. So glad GH has been kept! Too many reality and cooking shows now. Enough is enough. Besides, life is a ‘reality show’ in itself, want something that’s NOT reality. I work out of home and keep my tv on. Have enjoyed at least ‘listening’ to my soaps and now, just pay it no attention except to GH!

Comment by Trina — Friday August 31, 2012 @ 7:52am PDT
  • In case any further evidence was needed that canceling One Life To Live was a terrible move, this is it. OLTL was the superior soap and replacing it with Revolution was a bad decision.

Fortunately, GH is safe, and the staff of the show remains employed but the consistent longtime daytime lineup ABC once had is forever gone.

Comment by JB — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 2:34pm PDT
    • I am glad the Revolution was cancelled it was a terrible show..Can’t believe ABC would take One Life to Live off the air after so many years…I have watched that show since its been on as well as General Hospital. It would make so many fans happy if you would bring the show back!!!! There are enough self help and cooking shows on as well as reality shows…..Leave the Old stand byes Alone!

Comment by Gayle Savarino — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 5:11pm PDT
      • So sorry you felt that way about The Revolution, I loved and still do love OLTL. Grew up watching it. The Revolution was a good show, very different from anything we are use to, but was a very educational show for America. We as a nation, really do need to change.

Comment by kpainter — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 10:58am PDT
        • I agree. I thoroughly enjoyed The Revolution. I was an uplifting show. I never felt “Soaps” had much to offer. I don’t plan to watch whatever is put in its place.

Comment by Diana — Wednesday April 18, 2012 @ 8:48pm PDT
        • I AGREE with Diana. The Revolution is one of my favorite shows. I watched soaps years ago and enjoyed them, but there should be a place for both kinds of shows. We DO NEED to be better informed and should all take a portion of our day to be. I love “The Rev.” format and personalities. Will never watch Katic Couric again or more ABC Eye Witness news. I tried watching “The Chew” but it “lags” and recipes are mostly not healthy. I had just “come back” to network T.V. for a couple of shows I thought were worthwhile. I’ll be going back to all cable for my informative and unbiased T.V. viewing unless they bring back The Revolution in the fall! Wish they had advertised the show on more cable T.V. to draw more viewers like me.

SOooooooooooo disappointed.

Comment by Dawn — Tuesday April 24, 2012 @ 10:37am PDT
          • I so agree with you. The Revolution is a great show but I rather watch the soaps but if I had a choice. I can settle for the revolution. That nonsense of cancellingis ridiculous I have learned to like it even love it. I rather watch that then any CHEW or GOOD AFTERNOON AMERICA.Enough is Enough. I think the Revolution should stay over GH anytime. Im tired of all those cooking shows like the CHEW.

Comment by Noemi Gomez — Thursday June 28, 2012 @ 11:54pm PDT
          • I am really disappointed that the Revolution is being canceled. I was hoping the Chew would be healthier foods not another show with more animal products in them with deserts, meals with pasta and cheese.
            HOW about a Food Revolution SHOW! Foods that are clean fresh, meat free and organic. I realize the CHEW needs sponsors yet, find some sponsors another way. I watch the CHEW and I see that Daphnie is not being allowed to prepare many meals or talk health. I think they are really missing out! There is a big market for healthy eating, just look how Whole Foods is taking off! When is Big Brother going to let go of the control.

Comment by Laurie Nathe — Friday July 6, 2012 @ 11:32am PDT
        • If The Revolution is your idea of an educational show, it helps to explain why this country is so rapidly deteriorating.

Comment by Mike — Wednesday April 25, 2012 @ 1:28pm PDT
        • I agree with you. I love the Chew and the Revolution. I do understand that we Americans like our comfort zones. A show reflecting positive change may be hard for us to take, but in my opinion is necessary. I know so many that love their soaps and I can’t knock them, but I was hoping for something that was positive and helped me grow. Glad at least that the Chew is staying on. I don’t think I will stick around to watch another news story, I don’t watch soaps unless the channel is on after watching something I like,so ABC will lose my ratings for those two plus hours. A shame, because I don’t watch this station until prime time shows come on.

Comment by Janelle — Thursday July 5, 2012 @ 11:42am PDT
        • I agree the Revolution provided some really meaningful information about real life issues. Americans spend much too much time watching soap operas. Although I like General Hospital, I think the Revolution offered a more educational series.
          Sorry it is gone, don’t like show that has replaced the series.

Comment by Susan Mahoney — Friday July 13, 2012 @ 10:40am PDT
      • The promotion for The Revolution was the worst ever. I had absolutely new interest in that show whatsoever.

Comment by Jessica — Sunday April 22, 2012 @ 4:05pm PDT
  • Bring back All My Children!!!!

Comment by Delyn Brown — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 2:35pm PDT
    • i want all my children to come back too the ending sucked big time plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bring amc…………….

Comment by liz — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 3:51am PDT
      • I feel upset that all theses shows that we love is being canceled .lot of soaps G.L. All my children ,G.H. other shows like house,closer, WHY I don,t get if people like these shows LEAVE THEM alone !!!! than they put shows on that people may or may not like them .I was think about years ago they had talk shows ,out yr ears then court shows .now Dr. shows can,t we have a little bit of everything .

Comment by kris — Tuesday July 10, 2012 @ 7:20pm PDT
    • I really agree.I really miss All My Children One life to live..There is As the world turns and guiding light.Watching them for years.

Comment by Mary Prisock — Friday August 17, 2012 @ 12:45am PDT
  • Gh is awful and should be cancelled

Comment by Julie — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 2:40pm PDT
    • 2.26 MILLION viewers of GH highly disagree with you.

Comment by MissBeth — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 2:56pm PDT
      • @MissBeth, You said it sister! HA! GH is getting GREAT!!

Comment by Renee — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 3:09pm PDT
        • General Hospital is the staple of soaps..GH put Soaps to the top in the ’80s..it has changed over the years but it still rocks..love the show..ABC made a wise choice. And now, I won’t have to delete ABC and all its shows..good for the cast,writers and everyone..sorry for those who lost their shows..I am with you on your outrage and all..but I am happy GH is saved..

Comment by Mary Lou — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 3:30pm PDT
      • Have you read any GH message boards lately? Most of those 2.26 million viewers seem to agree the show is awful.

Comment by Abe Froman — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 3:13pm PDT
        • People like to complain, but the show was getting a lot better lately. As to the boards – there are different opinions, but there are more positive opinions now than there used to be a month ago.

Comment by kitty — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 3:31pm PDT
          • I think the GH is getting better – : )

Comment by okiecarol — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 5:52pm PDT
        • There are alot of different opinions on the GH boards. Some good some bad. Point of it all is, no matter what the opinion.. people ARE watching! So it must not be all bad!
          Still wish they would bring back OLTL tho.. that show kicked ass! AMC could return also. Why mess with something that isnt broken? If ABC was really smart, they would apologise for their mistakes and put back daytime as it was. they would probably be back on top again instead of all the boycotts.

Comment by LKirts — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 5:47am PDT
        • If you think it is awful and should be cancelled, then why are you reading the GH message boards? too funny

Comment by Jan — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 10:05am PDT
        • Its awful funny how the people that are bitchin about G.h are still tuning in. People really need to quit being haters and be glad that one show thats been around for almost 50 years isnt being replaced by reality or talk Im talked out.

Comment by hbowl — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 12:27pm PDT
        • The constant complainers of GH just like to complain. If GH had been ‘killed’ they would have roared the loudest. They just enjoy being contrary for the attention. I try to express what I like about GH.But I truly don’t care for some of the characters from OLTL.
          To all of those begging to get their ‘shows’ back .Give up and move on. you are just wallowing in your misery. If GH is cancelled I will be sad too,but I’ll find something else to enjoy. Life is short.Have fun!

Comment by tamr21 — Friday April 20, 2012 @ 9:00am PDT
        • Lots of soap fans like to complain about other soaps (even to the point of trolling on other soaps’ message boards). I put very little credence in them. GH has had its ups and downs, but it is a great show, when all is said and done. Lots of people complain about the mob violence in GH, but to me, it is one of the things that make it exciting!

I am very glad GH is going to survive (assuming that this is true – the article kind of implies it’s still speculation).

Comment by Rolly Barron — Thursday May 24, 2012 @ 8:57pm PDT
        • I like GH nad I hope it keeps going ;)

Comment by Jaz — Friday June 1, 2012 @ 2:46pm PDT
      • I think there is more then 2.26 million of us.

Comment by rosebud — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 4:37pm PDT
        • There are more viewers than what they posted. Many people have to watch uploads on social network site because of work schedules (some are out of the country.

Comment by Anonymous — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 7:35pm PDT
          • Good point so many soap fans watch on YouTube,tape, or social network due to work. Thank you abc for saving gh. I cannot take all the self help by these so called experts. Give me suspense drama,romance in the afternoon. Some of us don’t need more advice or improving!

Comment by Skye Vanguard — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 8:56pm PDT
    • I have to disagree fans have fought to save GH and will continue to fight the fight for the other shows and all of daytime tv. Would love to see The Chew go down the drain and OLTL come back on too.

Comment by Mary — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 3:26pm PDT
      • Amen! I watch the four remaining soaps to try to keep them from being cancelled. “General Hospital” is my long-time favorite and it is getting much better with the new writers. ABC/Disney screwed up big time but at least they realize that killing off GH would be the last straw for ABC Daytime.

Comment by Crystal Berger — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 5:32pm PDT
      • I want OLTL to return also! After all, it was cancelled for the Revolution which totally suxd. General Hospital is only doing better because some OLTL fans followed it to see John McBain, Blair, Starr, etc. & see what was going to happen to Todd. C’mon, GH is boring and I most certainly wouldn’t be watching if it weren’t for OLTL.

Comment by Gina — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 6:41am PDT
      • Yes Please bring back ALL MY CHILDREN AND ONE LIFE TO LIVE I have refused to watch any new shows on ABC untill they bring back my show that I grew up with…

Comment by JACKIE — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 7:18pm PDT
      • OLTL was a favorite, 3 of the favs is John, Blake and Star GH did a good thing when they wrote these people into the script. AMC should be brought back but would Susan Cameron Rebecca and the other cast come back?

Comment by Sarah Dean — Tuesday April 17, 2012 @ 10:40am PDT
    • wow that is awesome I’m glad ABC is getting it’s act together
      sorry Julie may if you watched it dear you would find out why GH has such loyal fans

Comment by julie — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 4:14pm PDT
    • You are whacked sister! General Hospital hasn’t been this terrific in years! It is MUST-SEE-TV!

Comment by Jen — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 4:26pm PDT
      • General Hospital is the BETTER BEST of soaps of all the ABC Soaps there is, GH Is getting AWESOME And really what it should be, [on the air] and take off that silly show that makes no sense at all, the revolution, it was dumb, silly, and lots people didn’t like it, glad it was cancelled. GH is the only and BEST soap opera and for those who don’tlike gh, well I donot agree with you, you are wrong about it it’s the greatest soap ALIVE next to Days, GH is and always will be my FAVORITE.

Comment by Lori Facas — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 9:48pm PDT
      • It sure is a MUST SEE, But every day it’s on the screen, it definately and sure is BETTER than it has ever been, I LOVE GH so much, and this is my soap and show, I Will never give up on GH, It’s like GH and I are BEST Friends. It’s the best on ABC.

Comment by Lori Facas — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 9:54pm PDT
    • Yay!!! A win for soap opera fans!!! Now keep the momentum moving and let them know this is great, but we want OLTL back and not news in the afternoon!!! These networks are crazy to add news; the already have stations dedicated to pushing news 24 hours a day! Keep telling the networks, all the networks, that we want our soaps!!!!

Comment by Colleen1770 — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 6:07pm PDT
    • I agree. GH should be cancelled.

Comment by Mackenzie — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 6:32pm PDT

Comment by Anonymous — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 7:33pm PDT
      • Why “should” it be cancelled? It sounds bitter when people say this. Many people love and are attached to this show. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Why wish it to be cancelled and ruin it for everyone who likes the show. Seems rather mean spirited.

Comment by Sam — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 7:51pm PDT
        • You said it Sam. If you don’t like GH, don’t watch. Comment on an article about a show you like. Stay out of our business.

Comment by hfirkins — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 8:31pm PDT
      • GH Fans that complain about the show are like a husband complaining about his wife then he always goes back home to her waiting arms and warm bed.

Comment by Karen — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 5:38pm PDT
    • JUST go away…it’s ridiculous to post a comment about a show you hate. Just don’t watch it and stop being a fun snatcher to those who rightfully enjoy the show. You sound like a person who would kick an innocent dog. It’s just SAD…that you would respond this way.

Comment by Anonymous — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 7:37pm PDT
    • @julie and @mackenzie, you BOTH should be cancelled!!!

Comment by stacey — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 8:03pm PDT
    • The GH haters are just trolls .Ignore them,it drives them crazy.

Comment by tamr21 — Friday April 20, 2012 @ 8:53am PDT
  • OMG,YES!!! This is the best news I have heard in such a long time!! Thank God ABC finally woke up and made the right decision about at least one of their iconic soaps! All the fans who have been fighting to keep GH on the air are thrilled and relieved by this news!!!! Now hopefully we can one day get AMC and OLTL back on the air.

Comment by Rosemarie — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 2:44pm PDT
    • It would be nice if ABC had listened to the viewers before taking AMC and OLTL off the air. If General Hospital had been taken off, I would have been done with ABC all together. What do viewers have to do to get it through to ABC that soaps not only make the lonely people that live alone part of their families but also, they educate people on life like AIDS, HIV, AUTISM, and many other subjects as well. I had watched both soaps that were cancelled since they came on the air and I still watch General Hospital. I like the days that I grew up with good things on TV and soaps were on of those things. Now there are so many realty shows like Housewives of wherever and different families, young adults that get a kick out of getting high and drunk all the time it makes me sick to think that people really want to watch that. And, no, soaps are not like that. When you feel part of a family and you cry when they cry and laugh when they laugh, you are connecting to people. The reality shows don’t offer anything to anyone and we have enough cooking channels and food network. Why make people that can only afford basic cable watch shopping channels and food shows. Thank you fans for working so hard at keeping GH on daytime. I truly hope some channel will realize that AMC and OLTL are what so many viewers want to see and maybe will do what the viewers want for a change. I would love to see them back on the air. Congratulations GH!

Comment by Anonymous — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 3:33pm PDT
      • You watched 15 hours of soaps every week for more than 40 years?

Comment by ger2868 — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 4:27pm PDT
        • You are actually surprised by that? You shouldn’t be. She is not alone. Soaps have long been woven into the daily fabric of our lives.

Comment by Cheryl — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 4:49pm PDT
          • Soaps are probably the reason VCRs were designed. Some couldn’t be watched as many of us were at work–they were recorded so they could be watched after supper was over and the kids were in bed. At least that’s how it was for me most of the time.!!

Comment by Katharine — Wednesday April 18, 2012 @ 5:30pm PDT
          • thats exactly the point . people who watch soaps will readily verify they are additicted . I used to to be one of them but have moved on and enjoy the reveloution because it wasn’t dr. phil for 60 min. or dr.oz I will admit i tape these shows and then reject when the subject is not of intrest to me so those shows were nbot my steadies but I always watched the reveloution it was diversified and always up beat. Harly told the truth when someone didn,t keep up w/ the program Tim Gunn is the best told you like it is. dress apropriat he,s got a lot of class and gave it back to us the rest of the host
            s were great you can lose weight and go back and forth with it but when you have some one telling why your behavior is resposobileyou can own it the show gave you tools everyday shame on you ABC

Comment by rosie — Saturday July 7, 2012 @ 6:54am PDT
          • I started watching the SOAPS as a teenager with my Grandmother and all of the Aunts and the ladies in the neigbhor hood and we all had a time to relate to some of the stories they had and it meant the afternoons was a great way to relax and think of others and not our selfs. Why take something away from the people that helped them grow up and feel like they can do and become any thing in this world !

Comment by Kathy — Monday September 10, 2012 @ 3:56pm PDT
        • People didn’t, don’t, just sit in front of TV sets to watch soaps (or stories). They cleaned, cooked, raised their kids…these are on-going dramas. You could look away, miss episodes, and like real life you just get on with it when you can. I’m not referring just to ABC soaps but serial dramas that are popular world wide — Mexico, Korea, the UK, for example. Boring rich un-’real’ housewives can never replace them.

Comment by Arlene — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 7:51pm PDT
        • You are surprised people watch soaps so much? Sometimes it’s their escapism. Guess what? You know why “The Young & The Restless” has been so successful ratings-wise? They did a study and found African-american women (a lot of whom are professionals, ie doctors, lawyers, etc.) put “Y&R” over the top by watching the show on their breaks, via DVR, or online. I suspect the “Winters Family” is the reason. The African-american character “Neil Winters” has been on the show for like 17 years.

Comment by Actor In LA — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 12:39am PDT
      • I totally agree with all you said …I would be done with ABC if General Hospital were to be taken off the air..Wneed the network to start listening to the viewers !

Comment by Gayle Savarino — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 5:20pm PDT
        • I totally agree with all you said…I would be done with ABC if General Hospital were to be taken off the air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Cindy — Thursday April 12, 2012 @ 2:05pm PDT
      • “that soaps not only make the lonely people that live alone part of their families but also, they educate people on life like AIDS, HIV, AUTISM”

Sad remark on society.

Comment by Miss Manager — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 5:34pm PDT
        • Tacky exploitative reality shows are better?

Comment by Sam — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 7:52pm PDT
  • thank you for keeping general hospital. I wish we could put one life to live and all my children back on the air.

Comment by Sheila Lynn Parker — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 2:44pm PDT
  • The writing was on the wall with this one. Glad to see ABC staying in the soap opera business for at least another year, though GH certainly shouldn’t rest on its laurels. They’re going to need to fight for their timeslot again next year, I’m sure.

Comment by David — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 2:44pm PDT
    • That’s EXACTLY what I was thinking! Are we going to be put through this emotional roller-coaster again, come next year? and every year after that?

Frankly, I am still very pissed off about this! I think ABC should make commitments in 5, or at the very least, 3 years at a time, before they start making noises about axing GH (or any other proven show)!

Comment by Rolly Barron — Thursday May 24, 2012 @ 9:10pm PDT
  • I’m suspect of ABC testing a new show in the intervening weeks. Should “GMA in The Afternoon” do well, I wonder if ABC still might try to sneak a cancelation of GH past the viewers, and save the money they were trying to save in the first place. The backlash against KATIE would be significant, for sure, but ABC Daytime has been tone deaf for a while re: branding and fan loyalty.

Comment by BreckRoy — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 2:45pm PDT
    • GH/soap opera fans have NO intentions of watching GMA in the Afternoon. We will boycott that too. We are NOT stupid.

Comment by Beth — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 4:29pm PDT
  • This is good news for people who watch GH. I watched All My Children for about 40 years and I am still having withdrawals. I am also still hoping they will bring it back. I will never watch The Chew, but should AMC return, I would be a happy camper.

Comment by Mona Hickey — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 2:45pm PDT
  • Whew! Now is it possible to bring back OLTL and AMC? At least one or the other? Katie will get me as a viewers since GH is staying on.

Comment by Cyndi — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 2:48pm PDT
    • I dont feel it is possible at all, i didnt really care for either soap that is gone but love GH , the Chew i will never watch but it does have ratings that compare the AMC so they ont get rid of it and bring back a more expensive show to produce, sorry to be a party pooper but did you even read the article?

Comment by Mary — Wednesday April 11, 2012 @ 3:07pm PDT