Diane Kruger To Play The Seeker In Stephenie Meyer’s ‘The Host’

EXCLUSIVE: Diane Kruger is negotiating to star alongside Saoirse Ronan, Max Irons and Jake Abel in The Host, the Andrew Niccol-directed adaptation of the Stephenie Meyer science fiction novel. The film takes place at a time when a parasitic alien species called The Souls has just about wiped out the human population. The Inglourious Basterds star will play The Seeker, who is charged with overseeing the conversion of a young rebel soldier (Ronan) whose consciousness has been infiltrated by Wanderer, a soul that has taken control of bodies and minds but who is daunted by the young human’s spirit — and obsessed with the memories of her boyfriend and her brother — and sets out to track them down. The Seeker pursues her, knowing that the conversion of the rebel will lead to the discovery and eradication of the rebel movement.

Kruger had been a candidate for a lead role in Universal’s Oblivion but withdrew from consideration and took The Host. While it’s based on one novel by Twilight Saga author Meyer, the movie is being set up as a trilogy. Open Road acquired U.S. distribution rights last year and production will start shortly for a March 29, 2013 release. Nick Wechsler, Chockstone Pictures’ Paula Mae Schwartz and Steve Schwartz are producing with Meyer. Kruger is repped by UTA, Untitled Entertainment and Ken McReddie Associates.

• cool.

Comment by Jim — Friday January 20, 2012 @ 2:15pm PST
  • Hmm. Except that she is nothing like the character as described in the book. Odd casting choice.

Comment by estee — Friday January 20, 2012 @ 2:24pm PST
    • For some reason I knew someone would comment on her not looking the part. She’s a good actress, so get over it.

Comment by esty — Friday January 20, 2012 @ 4:20pm PST
      • She is REALLY not a good actress. She is the definition of wooden and seems to have forged a career out of sheer persistence and showing up on red carpets. I applaud her efforts and hard work to get so far in what is an incredibly competitive business, for women especially, but when I watch her in anything I just cringe. Every single time.

Comment by Aaron — Friday January 20, 2012 @ 8:18pm PST
        • “ut when I watch her in anything I just cringe.”

That’s why she’s just PERFECT for The Seeker. LOL.

Comment by Al — Saturday January 21, 2012 @ 5:54am PST
      • A good actress?? She’s one of the worst.

Comment by anna — Saturday January 21, 2012 @ 8:36pm PST
        • No – she is THE worst.

Name me someone who is worse – Malin Ackerman? I don’t even think so…

Comment by we need to talk about... — Sunday January 22, 2012 @ 3:04am PST
          • It boggles my mind that this woman still gets cast in anything. She IS the worst actress. Well, I take that back, only second to Katie Holmes. She’s dry, cold, and just can’t act. When she’s on screen I wait for her accent to change back to something else. Whenever she talks it goes from German, to American, to French, to English. I’m waiting for some good old ‘southern’ US to come out of her mouth one day.

Comment by Chrissy — Sunday January 22, 2012 @ 12:32pm PST
  • Not what I expected but that’ll work fine for me.

Comment by Annabeth — Friday January 20, 2012 @ 3:24pm PST
  • As long as Saoirse Ronan is in it I’m gonna pay to see that!

Comment by Matt — Friday January 20, 2012 @ 3:46pm PST
    • Amen, to that Matt. Saorise Ronan has some MAD acting chops. A mini Meryl Streep. IMO

Comment by Brenda Maxx — Friday January 20, 2012 @ 10:37pm PST
  • She can project a coldness, which suits the Seeker. It’ll be interesting to see how Andrew Niccol handles this story.

Comment by 100stones3x — Friday January 20, 2012 @ 4:01pm PST
  • The cast keeps getting better.

Comment by Edh — Friday January 20, 2012 @ 4:06pm PST
  • Interesting choice, but like estee said, she looks nothing like how the seeker is described in the book, so hopefully the hair and make up crew are good xx

Comment by Megan — Friday January 20, 2012 @ 4:07pm PST
  • Please – she’s terrible. I am not part of the deal on this one so I say it purely as a bystander. But I have worked with her twice before and I can say this: It is very difficult to get a salient, intelligent or even interesting performance out of. her She doesn’t seem to understand human emotion. She is very bright, enthusiastic, on time, and all those other things you expect Germans to be but …. I dunno – it’s like a robot is playing the part. You watch the film after, you watch her parts and …… well, you just wish you’d cast somebody else. I’m sorry – she’s a sweet girl.

Comment by Fourthfloor,mainly — Sunday January 22, 2012 @ 3:02am PST
    • Interesting comment FourthFloor. I’m saying this as a bystander of people who have worked with her in the past and they said the exact same thing. Verbatim. Except the sweet girl part. Or let me clarify. She sweet to the people who she thinks will get her more gigs. Other than that, try getting a hello or smile out of her.

Comment by Anonymous — Sunday January 22, 2012 @ 12:29pm PST
  • The movie is being set up as a trilogy? Of course it is…

Comment by IGPNicki — Sunday January 22, 2012 @ 1:53pm PST
  • Wow, look at all these Kruger haters. I guess it is true: the industry is full of back stabbers and cowards who can’t deal with working relationships like adults but instead resort to anonymous identities to “tell the truth.”

Comment by Jill — Monday January 30, 2012 @ 12:00pm PST