Actor Tom Sizemore To Write Memoir About His Struggles With Drugs

Tom Sizemore BookEXCLUSIVE: Tom Sizemore, who went from the intense star of films like Heat and Saving Private Ryan to a cocaine and heroin addict whose addiction struggles and subsequent recovery played out on reality TV, has signed a memoir deal with Atria Books. He’ll write the book with Anna David and the pub date is 2013. The book will detail his rise from tough childhood in a Detroit housing project to his climb to the top in Hollywood and his eventual dark descent into drug addiction and back. Sizemore, who once romanced Elizabeth Hurley and Sharon Stone and whose performances in films from True Romance to Black Hawk Down elevated him from character actor to the star of his own TV series in Robbery Homicide Division, lost it all due to his substance-abuse struggles. At his lowest point, Sizemore was accused of domestic violence by Heidi Fleiss and traded a Beverly Hills mansion for a solitary confinement cell at Chino State Prison.

Tom Sizemore Drug AddictionSizemore began experimenting with cocaine and then heroin as his career took off. Once in the grip, he would clean up for major movie roles and then relapse right after. His soap star wife left him and after a subsequent fiery relationship with former Hollywood madam Fleiss, Sizemore got more attention in the tabloids for misbehaving than for anything he did on screen.

I always thought the reality show Celebrity Rehab was a voyeuristic exploitation of washed-up celebrities whose private struggles should not be paraded on national TV, and that it is like watching the aftermath of car accidents. But Sizemore is one actor who was able to make it through Dr. Drew Pinsky’s rehab program and pull it together. He has once again become an in-demand actor, saving his intensity for the screen as he tries to gain back the career and life he lost.

“I should have been dead many times over and honestly, I didn’t know that I was going to come back from the bottom I dropped to,” Sizemore said. “The fact that I’m now sober over two years — and that I’m acting as much as I did before — proves that people can overcome obstacles even when they’re sure they can’t. I hope that this book can inspire other people to never give up.” The world rights deal was brokered by Atria senior editor Sarah Durand and David Vigliano at Vigliano Associates.

• It’s a bit premature for this memoir of addiction. I’m glad this talented actor has been sober for 2 years, but lets face reality. The relapse rate for hardcore, long time drug users is high. He’s been there, done that before.

Comment by Mimi — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 6:03am PST
    • Thank you. I am pleased with his progress, but let’s not think he’s OK right away…

Comment by brettstaffen.ca — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 11:21am PST
  • Tom is a fantastic actor and a fascinating person. Will definitely buy his book. Thank Mr. Fleming for the tip.

Comment by Kabbe — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 6:17am PST
  • Good for him – hes a hell of an actor and im thrilled to hear he has 700+ days in

hopefully the book will be good and if it helps one person get clean its worth it

Comment by Jack Secret — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 6:29am PST
  • For Tom the action is the juice

Comment by MK — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 6:40am PST
    • “He’s got plenty put away. T. Bonds; real estate. If I were him, I’d be smart and cut loose of this.”

And I love Tommy, but isn’t he from Grosse Pointe?

Comment by Team Cheritto — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 2:18pm PST
  • Anyone rooting against Tom Sizemore, regardless of his indiscretions,flaws, foibles, fuck-ups, is an asshole.

Comment by Aaron Sizemore — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 7:01am PST
    • Agreed.

Course, if this were a Mel Gibson post we’d be at 100+ comments by now from “assholes”. The world’s full of em’.

Comment by Indrid Cold — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 8:59am PST
    • Aaron, I dont know how you are related, but good for you. You are totally right . Having met Tom when he was trying and not succeeding to be sober, I am thrilled for him. I am thrilled for any human being that can get past something this tough and face the music. I root for him the same as I rooted for Robert Downey, and the same as I would root for anyone in this world who tries this hard to get their lives back. Merry Christmas!!!

Comment by angela — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 11:27am PST
      • Aaron-
        I got the wonderful chance to meet Tom and he damn sure an amazing person on the inside. Despite his challenges he has had in his past i wish him the best in his up coming films and his book. I will be buying it for sure. He has made a big impact on my life and I would not change knowing and meeting him for the world….

Love you Tom Keep up the good Work!!!

Comment by bbj — Sunday May 27, 2012 @ 3:21pm PDT
    • Is it okay if we don’t really care any more than we would about a total stranger who wasn’t an actor?

Comment by gobacktosleep — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 3:05pm PST
  • How about stay sober for a couple years before you tell your story. On top of that, we get it you smoked crack and fucked celebs. Go to more AA meetings.

Comment by enough — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 7:08am PST
    • So by your definition, “a couple of years” is two years right? And he’s two years sober, right? So what’s the issue.

Comment by jb — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 11:51am PST
  • Great article. He needs an action film. Kicked ass in Black Hawk Down/Saving Private Ryan. He did how many Bruckheimer films? Deserving of a comeback.

Comment by Ralphie — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 9:00am PST
  • While I’m rooting for Tom as a fellow alcoholic, I caution him and wish he’d get more time under his belt than he has before writing a book. I also despise Dr. Drew. His show does not help addicts. Addiction is a personal matter and this guy would go to the opening of a door if it would get him some press. His sincere, caring, Doctor bit isn’t an act. I believe he believes it, but the man is a bigger media whore than the Kardashian and it’s sickening in itself.

Comment by Kat — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 9:07am PST
  • The dirt from ‘the douche’… I love it.

Maybe if one of those skid row bookstores is selling it for a buck I’ll pick it up.

Comment by Tick Tock Time's Up — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 10:17am PST
  • Around twenty+ yrs ago, I attended the Temple University MFA senior scene presentation.. A young man named Tom Sizemore performed Joe Mantenga’s monologue from Glen Garry Glen Ross. That the student work he did is such a lasting memory is a testament to Tom’s incredible gift. ( Paul Giamatti’s Yale “League” audition is the only other I remember as specifically). Watching Tom self destruct when I thought he would Sean Penn’s competition for actor of his generation has been terrifically sad.

I don’t think memoirs really help other people face their own demons – addiction is too strong a force. Perhaps a story like Tom’s and the depth of his gift might shame enablers into thinking about the person more then the paycheck. However, the cynic I hate to be doubts that very much.

Comment by old timer — Tuesday December 13, 2011 @ 8:35pm PST