JJ Abrams Moving Toward Helming ‘Star Trek 2,’ But ‘G.I. Joe’ Sequel Will Get His June 29, 2012 Release Slot

EXCLUSIVE: Now that the launch of Super 8 is behind him, JJ Abrams is moving toward a commitment to direct Star Trek 2. But just as Deadline has been telling you, there’s no way that he’ll be able to make the June 29, 2012 release date that Paramount carved out for the film. I’m told that the studio will give that slot to G.I. Joe: Retaliation, the sequel that will be directed by Jon M. Chu and stars Channing Tatum, Dwayne Johnson and Adrianne Palicki, with Lorenzo di Bonaventura producing.

Abrams has just returned from vacation and is hunkering down with writers Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof to work on the Trek script and beginning prep for a Trek sequel that will likely begin production in January and either be dated for release for the fourth quarter of 2012 or summer 2013. Abrams hasn’t formally committed and hasn’t approved a script yet, but the studio has exercised its option on the cast and they will be ready when Abrams is. All this means that Chris Pine will definitely play Captain Kirk before he reboots Jack Ryan for the same studio. That project, with script by Adam Cozad, was in the process of getting a rewrite from David Koepp. All of this falls into the scenario that was described for Deadline in late May when the writers admitted they had a 70-page outline, some 13 months before the film’s release.

• Well after Super 8 wasn’t the mega summer movie that everybody thought it was going to be, got to go back to a sure thing. Liked the first film so hopefully the second will be even better. I predict a December 2011 release date. 2012 might be tricky with the anticipation of Nolan’s Superman reboot.

Comment by Shane — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 12:37pm PDT
    • 2011 release? I’m pretty sure you’re screwing your dates up.

Comment by Scott — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 12:44pm PDT
      • My bad. I mean December 2012 release date instead of 2013.

Comment by Shane — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 1:09pm PDT
      • Let me mark my calendar… “Shane predicts a Dec. 2011 release”. Got it.

Comment by Jonathon — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 1:20pm PDT
    • Yea man, no way on 2011

Comment by Tuck — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 1:02pm PDT
      • Jesus people… Aaron corrected himself. Do more than 2 people REALLY feel the need to make failed attempts at being witty, sarcastic, & unoriginal, by calling him out on getting fall/winter – 2011 and 2012 mixed up? Let it go, especially since it was obviously an honest mistake seeing as how he DID immediately correct himself! That being said, unless they release it relatively early like they did the first one, which I believe premiered on May 9, a holiday release in 2012 could be more beneficial considering any number of summer films it would have to compete with in 2013. So, either early May again like the first one, or fall/winter 2012 makes the most sense obv.

Comment by Dub — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 2:33pm PDT
        • Definitely not 2011

Comment by Luke — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 4:02pm PDT
        • Yeah, definitely not going to happen in 2011

Comment by Luke — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 4:03pm PDT
    • Also, Superman got moved to June 2013 last week, which theoretically frees up more room for a holiday 2012 release.

Comment by Aaron — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 1:10pm PDT
  • Ugh, they should have had a Star Trek sequel out this year. Waiting 3.5 to 4 years for a sequel is too long!

Comment by Flip — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 12:48pm PDT
    • Quite obviously just wasn’t feasible for J.J. Abrams with all he had on his plate since the first Star Trek came out, such as the new Mission Impossible (producing) and then Super 8… That being said though, 4 years is about the absolute MAX a movie should wait to put out any sort of follow-up/sequel of any kind.

Comment by Dub — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 2:36pm PDT
      • It’s Star Trek. You could wait 10 years and it’d still hold up the tent.

Comment by rabbit — Thursday July 28, 2011 @ 12:16am PDT
    • I have an idea: they should make Star Trek a TV show and have new episodes every week. Then they could free up the theaters for something besides comic book heroes and rehashed television shows and, you know, actually tell an ORIGINAL STORY!

Wow. That would be SO cool.

Comment by joe — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 6:44pm PDT
      • I want a cartoon series based on this new timeleine!!!

Comment by Jared — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 11:12pm PDT
  • Can’t wait for all the lens flare. Bordered on the ridiculous in Super 8.

Comment by Chris — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 12:49pm PDT
    • You and everyone else going against the lens flares are completely and utterly ignorant. Watch some classics like Close Encounters of the Third Kind or Apocalypse Now Then come back and try to talk about Abram’s lens flares.

Comment by Adam — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 3:24pm PDT
      • Adam – I just counted the lens flares in all three films. Super 8 wins!

JJ please stop with the lens flares, they are ridiculous and completely are taking people out of the great stories you are attempting to tell.

Comment by rcb — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 5:51pm PDT
        • Wait. You counted LENS FLARES?

Seriously?

Get a life.

Comment by Huh? — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 9:56pm PDT
        • I disagree. I thought the lensflare was awesome and didn’t really overtly notice it until I watched the special features.

Comment by Jared — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 11:15pm PDT
        • Wow Adam! From 6:24pm to 8:51p! That means in 3 hours and 27 minutes you were able to watch and count the len’s flares in THREE WHOLE MOVIES! Not sure how long Super 8 is but the other two alone are at least FIVE hours. Thanks for proving you’re an idiot! You win!

Comment by T. Emert — Thursday July 28, 2011 @ 4:48am PDT
          • Sorry Adam! I meant Rcb! :)

Comment by T. Emert — Thursday July 28, 2011 @ 4:49am PDT
  • Super 8 was great. I wish it had done more business than the silly robot movie.

Comment by lukeandlaura — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 12:52pm PDT
    • I really wanted to love Super 8 but came away disappointed. Felt it was average, nothing more.

Comment by MommaProds — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 1:23pm PDT
  • Love the fact that the studio tried to make us believe that the budget was at 50 mil., conveniently and obviously taking out P & A costs from the number. But, I’m sure Star Trek 2 will do fine.

Comment by Aidan — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 1:16pm PDT
  • I am fucking shocked — SHOCKED — someone is making a GI Joe sequel. I don’t even remember what the first one was about, it was so terrible.

Hey Paramount. Get ready for some Green Lantern shit, cause that puppy is gonna BOMB…

Comment by Jack — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 1:23pm PDT
    • The Green Lantern analogy doesn’t really fit here, though. Green Lantern was the first film in a potential franchise that BOMBED.

G.I. Joe: Rise Of Cobra was actually very successful and merited a sequel based on the revenue it generated.

I really enjoyed the first G.I. Joe, and boy do I get tired of people kicking this movie in the balls, fanboys in particular. It was an action-packed movie with heart, filled with cool vehicles, crazy guns and an interesting plot. The actors were perfect in their roles (and yes, I also mean Wayans, who is a very good actor– look no further than Requiem for a Dream) and I thought Stephen Summers did a great job directing. I really don’t know what else fanboys wanted. Oh yeah, it wasn’t “grim n’ gritty” enough. A movie based on a children’s toy line. Sheesh.

Even without Summers or the hot chicks returning (Rachel Nichols and Sienna Miller), I’m really looking forward to the sequel.

Comment by Sarno — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 4:33pm PDT
    • It’s about $300 mil. is what it’s about.

Comment by g.i. Jenny — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 5:10pm PDT
  • Star Trek 12. Star Trek 2 came out in 1982. It was called The Wrath of Khan. Nitpicking, I know, but I can’t help it.

Comment by JLN — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 1:30pm PDT
  • Super 8 had a 50 million budget. I think it did great business for what they spent.

Comment by Travis — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 1:37pm PDT
    • No it didn’t. Was more like 2x not including P&A.

Comment by n — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 4:11pm PDT
  • Where this news is great, waiting that long is going to be tough.

In my opinion Paramount and CBS should completely turn the franchise over to him and let him do a new TV series. It’s time for something new; something that has not been done before.

There are so many different areas a new series could cover. Starfleet Academy is one option that fans have been asking for the past few decades. And what about a sitcom with the Ferengi. Now that could be funny.

Comment by frenchjr25 — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 2:09pm PDT
    • I’m not sure what companies/studios are involved with it, but for some reason I think it’s Fox, but anyways, J.J. does have a new show in the works, if not, already finished, that has to do with inmates that escaped from Alcatraz back in the day and are reappearing in modern day San Francisco and such. I was actually at Alcatraz when they were doing some on-location shooting there, so that was pretty cool. Apparently it’s going to be multi-layered in the same vain as Lost though, so I guess we’ll see how that turns out.

Comment by Dub — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 2:39pm PDT
  • Hopefully the next one has some sort of sensical story. You know, like the one’s Roddenberry came up with?

Comment by JohnDoe — Wednesday July 27, 2011 @ 2:09pm PDT