2011 Comic-Con: ‘The Walking Dead’ Unveils Season 2 Premiere Date, New Trailer, More

Deadline Comic-Con TV correspondent Gary Hodges filed his report:

UPDATED: The Walking Dead (AMC) enjoys an overlap of fans at Comic-Con, both fans of the series and the graphic novel it’s based on. The panel held off bringing out the cast at first, instead introducing writer/director/producer Frank Darabont, makeup artist Greg Nicotero, and executive producers Gale Anne Hurd and Robert Kirkman (who’s also the writer of the comic book series). Hurd was the first to make news, announcing that the season premiere of season 2 would air Sunday, October 16th at its new time, 9pm. A trailer was next (video below), which did a good job of creating a feeling of dread but with too many fast cuts to discern anything specific about future episodes. (People fleeing zombies, shooting at zombies, hiding from zombies. And so on.) It closes with spoken dialogue: “I guess I’m losing hope. But like I said, it’s all about slim chances now. And a slim chance is better than none.”

With that, the cast came on stage: Andrew Lincoln, Jon Bernthal, Sarah Wayne Callies, Laurie Holden, Norman Reedus, Steven Yuen and Jeffrey DeMunn. Holden alluded season 2 might stay close to the source material by announcing “If you’re a fan of The Walking Dead graphic novel, I think you’re going to be really happy this season,” much to the delight of the crowd. Yeon was asked to walk the audience through a normal day on set, and he described morning and evening “tick checks.” “There’s ticks where we shoot,” in Georgia, he said. “One climbed my… mountain, and planted a flag on the peak of my mountain.”

Asked when season 2 picks up, Darabont replied “It picks up about 5 seconds before the end of last season… none of this bullshit ‘six months later’ stuff.” And really, that was all the audience was able to pry from the panel’s clutches. The remaining questions asked were run of the mill: Reedus was asked whether working on The Walking Dead or a Lady Gaga video was weirder (“By far, The Walking Dead.”), and another asked Nicotero if he had advice for aspiring makeup artists (take pictures of your work and build a portfolio), and the cast in general was asked if it was hard to work on such a bleak, grimy show and then go back to normal life at the end of each day. They agreed: not really – “you just go back to tick checks.”

Darabont also said that he had no problem finding new writers after most of the writing stuff from the first season was let go. “No, we’ve got people coming to the table going, ‘Wow, we love this and we want to be a part of it,’ and that’s a really cool thing,” he said. Asked about his dream casting on the show, executive producer Robert Kirkman, on whose comic the series is based, chanted, “Ed O’Neill, Ed O’Neill, and Ed O’Neill.” If he is too busy with his hit comedy Modern Family, “My second go-to is John Stamos.”

• YEAH WALKING DEAD!!! NORMAN REEDUS is the best part of that show!!!!!

Comment by anon — Friday July 22, 2011 @ 12:53pm PDT
  • Walking Dead sucks. The sooner we can admit that the emperor’s new clothes are the result of ridiculous amounts of empty hype, the sooner this POS will go away entirely.

Comment by Rip — Friday July 22, 2011 @ 12:58pm PDT
    • You are thinking of that other AMC show called The Killing.

Comment by CMG — Friday July 22, 2011 @ 5:51pm PDT
  • I really hate watching The Walking Dead trailers. I really do. But I am such a fan of the comics (though recent arcs are pretty meh) that it’s hard to not watch. The problem is that they get me really excited, even though I know the show will ultimately disappoint. The first season was easily some of the worst acting and writing I have ever experienced from a TV show. I’ve honestly seen better on the CW, which is pretty much scraping the bottom. I really do hope the changes they made behind the scenes will reshape things to come, starting with the writers getting the fuck rid of T-Dogg. Seriously, a grown ass man named T-Dogg? Even in a zombie apocalypse is that the most uninspired and lame tag name. They need to hurry up and bring Tyrese into the mix.

Comment by BlahBlahBlah — Friday July 22, 2011 @ 1:51pm PDT
  • CANT WAIT

Comment by yuuuuup — Friday July 22, 2011 @ 3:06pm PDT
  • A decent trailer. I looking to see so far from this.

Comment by elcamino — Friday July 22, 2011 @ 4:03pm PDT
  • Could anyone simply tell me why the writers on the first season were let go? They gave it the ratings that brought it to season 2. Please, this is an honest question

Comment by rebecca simpson — Friday July 22, 2011 @ 5:23pm PDT
  • This looks great. Sure, it could all be crap (2 of the 6 episodes, including the finale of Season 1 were not exactly on par with episodes 5 and the pilot) but as long as something happens to one of the characters like in the first edition of the comic series, I will be happy.

Comment by CMG — Friday July 22, 2011 @ 5:53pm PDT
  • I’ve been with the comic since the beginning, truly fantastic stuff. The show was a mixed back of awesome and complete crap. I am hoping they ironed out some of the kinks. (Polish up the acting and writing for starters). This is a personal gripe but while producing the show randomly ask yourself, does this make sense, would it really go down like this, would these survivors act like this, would they the this risk or that risk. So many times it just feels like logic just up and disappears and that instantly ruins the show for me.

Comment by GIBBS — Friday July 22, 2011 @ 6:35pm PDT
  • I hope axing all the writers of the first season will pay off in a more fully-formed season 2.

Comment by wildbunchesofoats — Friday July 22, 2011 @ 8:29pm PDT
  • it would have killed them to flash the glint of a samurai sword?

Comment by nick — Saturday July 23, 2011 @ 12:10am PDT