Honest Abe? Joaquin Phoenix Mulls Acting Return in Fox’s ‘Lincoln: Vampire Hunter’

EXCLUSIVE: Joaquin Phoenix is the front-runner to play the mentor who teaches the 16th President how to kill bloodsuckers in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter for 20th Century Fox. Phoenix has met on the project and I’m told that it’s his if he wants it. He would join Benjamin Walker, who last Thursday was set to play the title character in the Timur Bekmambetov-directed adaptation of the Seth Grahame-Smith novel whose producers include Tim Burton. It’s an encouraging sign that the fine actor might be returning to form after a surreal detour in I’m Still Here, the mockumentary directed by his brother-in-law Casey Affleck that purported to be Phoenix’s attempt to build a career as a rapper. While both Phoenix and Affleck initially maintained the docu was legit, they later acknowledged it was an artistic ruse. It was a waste of his considerable talent. From Gladiator, To Die For to We Own the Night and Walk the Line, Phoenix consistently turns in fascinating performances and this is a showy return role. The role is Henry, a mythic, ageless figure who turns Lincoln into an axe-throwing expert slayer of vampires. The pic’s produced by Bekmambetov, Tim Burton and Jim Lemley. Phoenix is cagey and could decide not to go forward. Stay turned to see if his deal makes. WME reps Phoenix.

• I so enjoyed reading this book last summer and Henry was a great character. Phoenix could be fantastic. hope he’s more then just back, but better & ready to prove his critics wrong. think he has a ton of talent.

Comment by smeehl — Monday January 31, 2011 @ 7:36pm PST
  • Glad he’s back. I missed Clefty.

Comment by heyho — Monday January 31, 2011 @ 7:57pm PST
  • Lost my respect for Joaquin. Erratic and idiosyncratic behavior is one thing, disrespecting your fellow actors and filmmakers (as he did in regards to “Two Lovers”) is another, and disrespecting your fans and audience with solipsistic and LeBron-level self-indulgent crap like his doc is another thing entirely as well.

I’ve enjoyed a lot of Phoenix’s past performances, but I don’t particularly enjoy the sensation of him pissing all over me.

Comment by Harvinator — Monday January 31, 2011 @ 8:04pm PST
    • He’s an actor. He was acting. You’re not saving lives or curing cancer, you’re performing, people are paying to see you act and you’re lucky to be in that position. So many people are not that fortunate to do what they love. Enjoy it, be grateful, focus on what you are doing and let him be. I’m glad he’s back.

Comment by d — Tuesday February 1, 2011 @ 10:33am PST
    • And who the fuck are you might I ask. Get over it, it’s show business. If he pissed in a cup, you’d drink it.

Comment by Anastasia Chavez — Tuesday February 1, 2011 @ 7:09pm PST
    • I’ll just be glad to see him back on the screen again. He is a great actor and he has a personal life too. Get the hell over your stupid comments about his life, go outdoors and get one of your own. Quit relying on everyone else to live a life for you.

Comment by Tim — Friday September 30, 2011 @ 1:25pm PDT
  • This sounds like it’s veering into so-bad-it’s-fucking awesome territory. Fingers crossed for Miley as Mary Todd.

Comment by INterested Observer — Monday January 31, 2011 @ 9:42pm PST
  • Sometimes, it is not about you. His and Casey Affleck’s documentary was not very good, but it was also not an attack or insult on fans or moviegoers. If you worked on Two Lovers, I can understand your resentment. But if you’re just a random person upset that he pretended to be a junkie to satirize the media’s relationship with celebrities…then get over it, he didn’t piss on you and actors are allowed to do projects that don’t appeal to all audiences. Come on.

Comment by Raine — Monday January 31, 2011 @ 9:42pm PST
  • he will be back. he will take it seriously. he will be fine.

Comment by just shut up — Monday January 31, 2011 @ 10:06pm PST
  • ‘I’m Still Here’ was hilarious! One of the more memorable comedies from last year.

Comment by Lame Sauce — Monday January 31, 2011 @ 10:44pm PST
  • I thought I’m Still Here was pretty original and experimental and said a lot about the state of celebrity. What’s wrong with taking some risks to try something different? It may not have been the best movie I’ve ever seen, but it was also a hell of a lot more memorable than Two Lovers. I applaud both Affleck and Phoenix for injecting some art and risk into careers that could otherwise just be spent chasing the next big paycheck.

Comment by thomas — Monday January 31, 2011 @ 10:51pm PST
  • I hope that Joaquin Phoenix returns to his acting career and does movies again like he used to. It would be sad and disappointing if he doesn’t.

Comment by Marcelina — Tuesday February 1, 2011 @ 12:46am PST
  • Whether or not the role or the film is any good, he should still do it. He needs to rebuild his credibility.

Comment by Jones — Tuesday February 1, 2011 @ 5:03am PST