Anne Hathaway Reviving Catwoman For ‘The Dark Knight Rises;’ Tom Hardy Is Bane

Chris Nolan has lifted the veil off his third Batman film. He has set Anne Hathaway to play Selina Kyle, who has a double identity as Catwoman. Nolan has also acknowledged that his Inception star Tom Hardy will play the villain role of Bane, an escaped prisoner who became abnormally strong after being pumped full of drugs. Bane is known as “the man who broke the Bat” after he broke Batman’s spinal cord in the comics storyline. Warner Bros has a checkered history with the Catwoman; Michelle Pfeiffer was hailed for her performance as the feline in 1992′s Batman Returns. A subsequent attempt at a 2004 spinoff movie with Halle Berry was a flop. Hathaway has been vying for the role since last November, along with actresses that included Keira Knightley, Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts, Blake Lively and Natalie Portman. Deadline revealed last October that Hardy was set to play the villain role. That started a guessing game over which Batbaddie he might be. Now we know. Here is the official  studio announcement.

BURBANK, CA, January 19, 2011 – Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Anne Hathaway has been cast as Selina Kyle in Christopher Nolan’s “The Dark Knight Rises.” She will be starring alongside Christian Bale, who returns in the title role of Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Christopher Nolan stated, “I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Anne Hathaway, who will be a fantastic addition to our ensemble as we complete our story.”

In addition, Tom Hardy has been set to play Bane. Nolan said, “I am delighted to be working with Tom again and excited to watch him bring to life our new interpretation of one of Batman’s most formidable enemies.”

Nolan will direct the film from a screenplay he wrote with Jonathan Nolan, from a story by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer. Nolan will also produce the film with his longtime producing partner, Emma Thomas, and Charles Roven.

“The Dark Knight Rises” is slated for release on July 20, 2012. The film will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

• so pleased that hathaway got this role. she has worked so hard, paid her dues and is an incredibly talented actor. she is going to be fantastic!

Comment by alex — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 9:34am PST
    • F off…Catwoman is terrible. Hathaway is dreadful. This movie will be the downfall of what was going to be a revival of a dying series.

Comment by Anonymous — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 2:57pm PST
      • u my friend are a idiot ……….. this is the final chapter in the dark knight batman series and coming from someone who not only owns well over 7000 comics and has read most i think this is going to be epic…. u prolly doubted the success of heath ledger as the joker too? chris nolon is amazing… director writer producer …. i think he knows what hes doing …. if u beg to differ look up rent download netflix blockbuster this movie memento its one of his first

Comment by someone — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 4:25pm PST
        • nolan is a talented filmmaker, but doesn’t have much of an imagination.

memento is a prime example of this- he saw a german movie called “Winter Sleepers” and decided to turn it into an edgy american movie called “Memento.”

The batman movies were merely dressed in the latest skin of the jaded masses. Nothing new here, nothing special. Even Inception, which had plenty of opportunities to really shine, sort of fell flat.

I’m not looking forward to the new Batman… but I’ll watch it for Anne Hathaway. She’s supah-fine, like red red wine.

Comment by tykwer fan — Friday February 4, 2011 @ 11:59am PST
          • Memento was written by his brother, dipshit. Despite similar aspects of story, Chris didn’t write Memento. He did, however, do a damn fine job directing it. And i have to say anyone who didn’t find Inception to be full of creative energy can shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down.

Comment by Chris — Monday May 30, 2011 @ 4:22pm PDT
        • I for one doubted heath. I think the whole batman reboot was stupid.

Comment by YOUR MOM — Thursday February 10, 2011 @ 3:15pm PST
      • Agreed. “along with actresses that included Keira Knightley, Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts, Blake Lively and Natalie Portman” anyone of these actresses would have been much better, and able to better portray a villainous feline better than the one dimensional Hathaway (the horrid Julia Roberts of this sad generation).

They might as well cast the wretched Gwyneth Paltrow in the role – they have about the same amount of skill so it’s about the same difference.

Comment by Paul — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 4:28pm PST
        • You honestly think keira knightley (only good in pirates), Rachel weisz (40), naomi watts (irrelevant), blake lively (already in green lantern), and Natalie Portman (participant in the destruction of star wars) as viable choices? And selina kyle is not a “villainous feline”. She is an anti-hero, a thief who helps Batman, not a villain. Granted I thought they should have chosen a newcomer instead of Anne hathaway this was the best choice to match the desires of Nolan and the studio

Comment by KraZ — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 5:33pm PST
          • You’ve brought up a very valuable point about Catwoman. Many should remember what happened in Catwoman starring Halle Berry. She was fighting for justice as her role of a hero with a little bad-ass kick to it. So if Nolan considers her a hero in this film, that means that there’s still room for another villain. Right?
            There should be anyway. Maybe then the film won’t be a total waste from bringing too-popular characters such as Catwoman and Bane in. Especially if we can get as good an actor as Heath Ledger to portray a good character choice. Seeing as how Heath Ledger was the only thing that really held that movie up as truly amazing.
            (Christian Bale’s raspy Batman voice is pretty comical, plus the fan-made parodies of it are hilarious. So he’s a keeper. As well as because of his amazing playing in Batman Begins.)

Comment by astriddestler — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 6:51pm PST
          • @kraZ. I understand what yu saying KraZ, however I gotta address Natalie Portman. I should remind you she has had several critically acclaimed performances before, during and after her stint on Star Wars. So I think she can be a variable choice.

Comment by darth_maxx@hotmail.com — Thursday January 20, 2011 @ 2:02pm PST
          • have you ever read a batman comic catwoman was a villain long before she was a so called “antihero”.hathaway is going to be the down fall of this film there is no need for catwoman to be in this movie bane is enough.

Comment by Anonymous — Saturday January 22, 2011 @ 1:40am PST
          • I do not agree with your overall summation of the talent of the actresses vying for this role. Keira Knightly I do agree with you on, however, Rachel Weisz is a very talented actress, just because her age happens to be 40 doesn’t mean a thing. They use practical make-up and usually CGI to smooth the edges to effectively make people look older and younger so her age really should not even be an issue, even though 40 isn’t that old at all. Her performances in The Constant Gardner and The Fountain were amazing. As for Naomi Watts, I feel you couldn’t be more wrong, she is without a doubt in my mind one of the most prolific actresses of her generation, watch her performances in Mulholland Dr. and Funny Games to see my point. I do not know much about Blake Lively, except for her decent performance in The Town and Accepted, she’s a fair actress. And Natalie Portman’s performances in V for Vendetta, Closer and especially Black Swan proves her worth, though I do agree that she was not very good in the Star Wars prequels, but if you think about it, Liam Neeson, Darth Maul, the light saber duels, the special effects and the music are the only things that are right with the prequels.

Comment by Matthew Roe — Sunday January 23, 2011 @ 7:27am PST
      • Um, I’m pretty sure that both movies have been huge revivals of the dying series. Like, bigger than any revival of any movie series ever.

Comment by Anonymous — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 4:58pm PST
      • It’s really strange to see aggressive hatred for Catwoman. I don’t know if it’s because of that Halle Berry movie or they just don’t like women.

Because as far as I know, Catwoman is not a bad character unless you’ve never read the books.

Comment by Fanboys are weird — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 7:06pm PST
        • Thank you! See? Smart person. I’ve read the comic books, I’ve seen ALL of the TV/Movie productions that casted someone in the role of Catwoman. Julie Newmar, LeeAnne Meriwhether, Ertha Kitt, etc. The majority of them have been fantastic! AND ALSO, to those of you who think that Catwoman is a villian, she is not. She is a cat burgler, and a bit of a vigilante. You really need to read more comic books.

Comment by CursedRemains. — Sunday January 30, 2011 @ 3:58pm PST
      • Worth reiterating, the press never actually mentions Catwoman. Normally I would shrug this off, but with Nolan who knows…

Comment by frug — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 10:07pm PST
      • Catwoman is easily the best choice for a new character. She’s neither a hero nor a villian exactly, and she adds more to Bruce Wayne as a character than anyone else would. The series is also incredibly lacking in female characters since the only one who was in it died.

Comment by Yeeesss — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 10:34pm PST
      • You will never know, all of Nolan’s films have been amazing and I’m pretty sure he wouldn’t do anything to ruin the last film of an awesome trilogy.

Comment by Anonymous — Thursday January 20, 2011 @ 2:27am PST
      • I totally agree that Hathaway,not a horrible actress, won’t play a good Catwoman. This is one character that will need someone who knows it very well and I don’t believe that she will pull it off. She has grown from her time as a princess but I just don’t think she will play a good part but I also don’t believe it will be the down fall of the film.

Comment by MGuardado — Saturday January 22, 2011 @ 1:06pm PST
        • Perhaps she is doing more research about the role than we think.

Comment by TheFinalShowdown — Wednesday February 2, 2011 @ 5:43am PST
        • Nolan casted Heath Ledger as the Joker which I think most people questioned at first. I trust him to cast the right actress for Catwoman and if he thinks Anne Hathaway will be perfect for the role, then I believe she will.

Comment by Anonymous — Monday February 7, 2011 @ 4:24pm PST
      • If Dark Knight producers wanted to kill what was becoming a credible reboot franchise- they just did it by casting Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. Most people think of her as a “twit” who was mildly interesting in Prada. The role of Catwoman belongs to a hot, sexy actress or one the public normally thinks of as hot like Scarlett Johansen or Cameron Diaz. Jessica Biel. Natalie Protman (the Star Wars babe) would have even been a better choice. If they wanted to go really “rad” they could have gone with angry women Angelica Jolie, Carrie Anne Moss, or Kate Bosworth. I think they just killed the franchise for a lot of Heath ledger devotees. They killed it for me. I won’t go see this twit Hathaway in anything.

Comment by KIlburn Hall — Monday January 24, 2011 @ 6:11pm PST
        • agreed, i was hoping Jessica Biel would get the role because she has an amazing female action hero body like in blade 3, anne better pump some mean iron and read a comic book or a thousand because if she fks this up, she might get blacked listed by fans.

Comment by Thursday — Friday January 28, 2011 @ 9:41am PST
        • Oh, Angelina Jolie, I wonder if she can play a hot femme-fatal? Oh wait… she has, since the dawn of time. It would have been too predictable to cast someone that looks so sensuous for a dual role as Catwoman and Selina Kyle. I think that Anne Hathaway has always been able to be the nice secretary that was shoved out a window, but now that she’s older, she has the experience to play Catwoman. She must have done a pretty good job or Nolan would have hired somebody else.

Comment by birdy — Wednesday February 2, 2011 @ 6:55pm PST
      • Oh please. What a drama queen. The sky is NOT falling, Chicken Little.

Comment by Not An Idiot Like You — Tuesday January 25, 2011 @ 4:35pm PST
      • Uhm… Please. Catwoman is a great comic book character, and Anne Hathaway is a talented actress. I think she just might be able to pull it off. Stop being so closed minded.

Comment by CursedRemains. — Sunday January 30, 2011 @ 3:44pm PST
      • your wrong anne Hathaway is amazing and I am so pleased she got his role she willl make this movie amazing!!!

Comment by beccaruna6 — Tuesday February 1, 2011 @ 5:46pm PST
    • Marisa Tomei, Charlize, Emmanuel Chriqui…my top 3.

Comment by ed — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 4:17pm PST
    • I agree that Nolan should have gone with a newcomer for catwoman instead of Anne Hathaway, or instead somebody like rebecca hall or Carrie–Anne Moss.

Comment by miles — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 6:51pm PST
      • I would have liked to have seen catwoman continue to be played by someone over 30, someone mentioned eva green in the comments below and I have to agree, she would have SLAYED as catwoman. I am excited to see Nolan’s take on Catwoman and Bane regardless. Ras Alghul was someone of a surrogate father to Batman, and then you had the Joker that made Batman/Bruce question himself and challenged him on a pshychological level, now hopefully Bane will Challenge him on a psychological AND physical level. Forget about the Shumacher Bane, I’m talking about comic Bane. Wouldn’t it kick ass if at the end of the movie Batman’s still recovering from getting fucked up by Bane and he sees Superman? Last frame, I would DIE!!!! So psyched to see it anyway

Comment by Michele — Friday January 21, 2011 @ 7:40am PST
    • OLIVIA MUNN should give it a try!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Jimmer — Thursday January 20, 2011 @ 11:47am PST
      • Olivia Munn???? Just because she puts on some superhero duds at ComicCon doesn’t mean she is fit to be Catwoman. Her acting is atrocious! Maybe Justin Timberlake can get her a role in one of his music videos.

Comment by BigBoy — Thursday January 20, 2011 @ 7:48pm PST
        • Nod… she is an awful actress … she about ruined House

Comment by Anonymous — Saturday January 22, 2011 @ 10:05pm PST
          • O Wilde is the one on House; Munn is that Daily Show chick who seems to do nothing but is now everywhere. Wilde is blond, Munn a brunette.

Comment by lala — Sunday January 23, 2011 @ 2:44pm PST
        • Seriously…you are are either a f…ing idiot or just stupid.

Comment by Unbiased — Saturday June 4, 2011 @ 12:56am PDT
      • why not give a NO-NAME a chance? You might just be really surprised.

Comment by sureshot — Tuesday March 1, 2011 @ 11:11am PST
    • Same here! This is going to be ABSOLUTELY awesome! Will Batman have a love interest? Has that been announced?

Topping “The Dark Knight” will be very difficult.

Comment by Christine Vega — Thursday January 20, 2011 @ 1:19pm PST
    • Anne Hathway totally and completely deserves this role! She is a great actress and truly beautiful I think she could make an excellent portrayal of Selina Kyle, although the questions rises who will the other woman be? It was originally reported that Nolan was searching for two women the first a villan and the other a love interest, my guess is that the other will be Talia al Ghul. I guess we shall know soon anyways congrats to the perfect woman known as Anne Hathway!

Comment by Andrew — Thursday January 20, 2011 @ 3:43pm PST
    • I think everyone is overlooking the person who should have been the obvious choice……Algelina Jolie… Hathaway is too cookies and milk for a role that requires someone that looks like they have a dirty side…..

Comment by wheels — Friday January 21, 2011 @ 8:43am PST
      • Again, Angelina IS an obvious choice. But I think she’s too sensual to play Selina Kyle. She has ALWAYS been the femme-fatal, and now it’s hard for anyone to see her as the innocent secretary. We all know her as the bad-ass hot chick, spot on as Catwoman, but that’s where everyone’s mindset would start.
        But we are supposed to see the sweet Selina Kyle pull a 180 and turn INTO the femme-fatal. With Jolie we’d loose the effect of starting out sweet then transitioning to bad-ass ’cause she’s already there.
        Watching Hathaway’s “cookies and milk” crumble and go sour will create quite the impact.

Comment by birdy — Wednesday February 2, 2011 @ 7:06pm PST
        • What are you talking about? Goodness, Selina Kyle was NEVER a sweet, mousy pushover secretary. Halle Berry’s Catwoman wasn’t even Batman’s Catwoman – she was Patience Phillips who was loosely based on the character (only the catsuit and name…and that’s it). I wish people would get that wrong image about who Catwoman is and read the damn comics.

I can’t wait for Nolan to do the character RIGHT and show her as she really is so it can finally erase these stupid presumptions of “meek secretary”.

Comment by Anonymous — Friday February 25, 2011 @ 9:23pm PST
  • WOW. Awesome news. She is amazing and has so much depth and range as an actress. I can’t wait!!

Comment by Dennis — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 9:37am PST
  • Bane + Catwoman = not as good as the Joker

Comment by Catwoman — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 9:38am PST
    • Of course its not as good as the Joker, but really, what do you expect? Nolan already made the statement eons ago that he would never recast the Joker, because no one would be able to emulate Ledger’s Joker. I would much rather introduce new characters than try to sit through some other actor playing his role, and I am certain no actor would have even wanted to attempt the Joker role after Ledger, because they would be so greatly scrutinized.

Comment by Sarah — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 10:34am PST
      • While yes, nobody could do what Heath did there are other options. For instance, Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He not only looks like Heath but they were in 10 Things I Hate About You together. Moreover, he also did a great job in Nolan’s Inception. So, I really hope that Christopher Nolan tricks all of us and casts Levitt as Joker, even if it’s just a cameo of Joker in Arkum Asylum.

Comment by Simon — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 11:55am PST
        • Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the perfect looking Robin and/or Nightwing, not the Joker.

Comment by Max — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 1:37pm PST
        • Simon,

#1. He does NOT look like Heath Ledger.
          #2. How does being in 10 Things I Hate About You with Ledger help Levitt play The Joker?
          #3. Are you on Levitt’s team?

If you ask me, I’d want to see Levitt play joker as much as I’d want to see Taylor Lautner or Justin Bieber play joker.

Comment by huh? — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 2:14pm PST
          • Justin Bieber as The Joker? Please, PLEASE make it so. If just to see the simultaneous exploding of heads across the globe.

Comment by taxPAYER — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 9:20pm PST
          • yea I don’t (but at the same time I do) want to see a cameo of the Joker… but if you think about it.. it would be cool to see Crispin Glover do a cameo as Joker.. am I the only one who thinks he can prob pull it off?

Comment by pointzero — Thursday January 20, 2011 @ 11:34am PST
          • He DOES look like Ledger. The resemblence is uncanny.
            @Paul, you couldn’t have described Ann Hathaway any better
            “the one dimensional Hathaway (the horrid Julia Roberts of this sad generation).”

Comment by Kat — Thursday February 10, 2011 @ 9:19pm PST
      • Oh please. Legder’s Joker was nothing more than a crack head drag queen that was homeless. Nicholson’s Joker was true and perfect.

Comment by Tristan — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 1:09pm PST
        • While it’s all about opinion, I think you’re looking back through rose-colored glasses. The Burton universe and the Nolan universe are completely different. Nicholson’s performance was perfect for what they were trying to achieve with Batman, but Ledger’s take on the character was exactly the current interpretation that The Dark Knight demanded.

Two great actors, two takes on the same complex character. Both awesome for different reasons. No need to bash on one just to promote your own fanboyism.

Comment by Kyle — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 1:42pm PST
          • Yup, have to totally agree….you said it so well but perhaps the general public just cant get it. Just a bit worried about the Catwoman role…..shouldve–maybe–kinda–possibly gone with a new comer for that role…anyway what does Bane and Catwoman have in common except the villian role? Two in the same movie? cant seem to accept it. Hopefully it doesnt distract from an awesome end to the Trilogy.

Comment by Suzanne — Thursday January 20, 2011 @ 8:18am PST
        • For one, they were extremely different kind of Jokers. Nicholson couldnt have done what Heath did, and heath couldnt have done what Nicholson did. Heath’s Joker was a psychotic maniac who you fear. Nicholsons was more of a crime boss, classy but cruel and you wouldnt mind having dinner with him. Heath did a great job, Nolan will choose the right people no matter what and you need to get your facts right before you compare

Comment by Anonymous — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 7:27pm PST
        • Mark Hamill was the Joker. Nicholson was good, Ledger was good, but Mark Hamill was, and will always be the best Joker, this coming from a comic book fan. That being said, everyone knocked Heath Ledger before they saw what Nolan did with him, and no one expected it. Selina Kyle is a great character in the comics, as is Bane. I’m going to trust Nolan on this one.

Comment by Josiah — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 11:28pm PST
          • The best Joker of all time was Caesar Romero and don’t u forget it!

Comment by hottung — Saturday January 22, 2011 @ 10:27pm PST
      • I totally agree with you. How Heath Ledger played the Joker, I bet no other actor could play the Joker like he did

Comment by Michelle — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 3:29pm PST
    • and two face?

Comment by Anonymous — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 4:33pm PST
  • Why am I underwhelmed by this casting choice?

Comment by jinlee — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 9:38am PST
    • Sean Young didn’t show up at the audition this time.

Comment by Dwigt — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 9:52am PST
      • LOL. Best comment so far.

Comment by ximan — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 10:11am PST
    • “Underwhelmed?” I’m asleep.

Comment by feelyou — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 3:07pm PST
  • I do like Anne Hathaway, but seriously, are there no other actresses in Hollywood!?

Comment by Londoner — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 9:39am PST
    • Be happy that it’s not Natalie Portman. She’s in like, what, ten movies coming out this year? My guess is that the bun in the oven ruled her out…

Comment by jinlee — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 9:43am PST
      • whoa whoa dude, natalie portman is such a great actress who cares what roles she plays in what movie.. ann is pretty good but ive never seen her in a serious role she better do a good job

Comment by phatty — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 12:12pm PST
        • Catwoman is a very “black swan” role, Portman can only do “white swan.”

Comment by darren — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 1:43pm PST
          • well said,…. well said

Comment by bernardg — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 6:06pm PST
          • Well then, how about Mila Kunis?

Comment by bigdumbgod — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 6:20pm PST
          • Mila Kunis could be a really good Catwoman. I’m extremely annoyed with Anne Hathaway, I don’t think she can really pull this off. SO far, she’s played the “goody two-shoes” roles. Catwoman has to be like the female version of Batman. She is a loner, she was an orphan, she had a violent past. Sure she may not be entirely bad but it’s almost as if you have to question who’s side she’s until you find out in the end she was on the good side the whole time. Mila Kunis would be good but I’m distracted by her voice, it’s not catwoman-ish :P And isn’t Bane Spanish? I’d like it more if they could stick with the true character’s races.

Comment by insertnamehere — Tuesday July 12, 2011 @ 9:33pm PDT
        • Watch Rachel Getting Married. I very different type of role for Anne Hathaway. Proves she is a good actress, not necessarily the right pick for Catwoman.

Comment by Neil — Wednesday January 26, 2011 @ 1:38pm PST
  • No Riddler?

Comment by hiphopcop — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 9:41am PST
    • It was announced months ago that it wouldn’t be The Riddler. Why that is is beyond me. The Riddler could have been gritty. Bane is kind of cartoony.
      Beyond that, I’d eventually like to see another movie with the Joker. Just a straight up interpretation of the Dark Knight Returns with Mark Hamill as the Joker and someone like Clint Eastwood as Batman. Wouldn’t that be neat?

Comment by snakecat — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 10:27am PST
      • Yes, and add Jon Hamm as Superman, and it would almost certainly be the best superhero movie ever.

Comment by top6 — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 10:44am PST
      • That will be great!!! And Dark Knigth Returns is perfect for a director like Nolan (or Aranofsky, but he’s already into Wolverine)

Comment by Linco — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 10:50am PST
      • Unforgiven-era Eastwood might have worked, but even then it’s an incredibly demanding role for someone his age, unless they’re going with all stuntmen while in the suit, which would be terrible. I think the cap would be 60 at the most. I’m hard-pressed to think who could pull it off though. Maybe Liam Neeson?

Comment by Ghibelline — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 10:56am PST
        • Come on, Clint Eastwood lost his ability to act about 10 movies ago. The Dark Knight Returns casting is Kurt Russel as The Batman with someone crazy like Terry Gilliam directing. Now THAT’S a Batfilm I’d like to see.

Comment by kickapoo — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 11:34am PST
        • Gene Hackman, hands down.

Comment by RIght — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 12:20pm PST
      • I agree. An animated Adult version of the Dark Knight would be incredible and it could even be directed by Frank Miller. I’m surprised this has never happened.

Comment by Mark — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 11:54am PST
        • Ive been thinking that exact same thing a few years back! Directed by Frank miller get some anime directers to help out like Kawajiri(Ninja Scroll),Otomo (Akria), and Oshii(Ghost in the Shell). You can do it as an adult anime. It would be sick that way you could certain actors for their voices(hint Eastwood for the old Bruce Wayne) Michael Caine as Alford ect… This needs to happen…

Comment by MadMon — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 12:19pm PST
          • no, it doesn’t. Frank Miller can only ruin a good thing, and batman the animated series is all you need for gritty, good animated batman. IMO, and i would not be surprised if many agree, it stands as the best interpretation of batman out there.

don’t misunderstand, i love Nolan’s vision, but the limitations of live action mean we haven’t seen batman in action a lot; we’ve delved into and teased out the character of who he is. but the animated series provided constant action and entertainment, and hit the true audience(kids who love superheros) with exactly what they needed.

Frank can only ruin good memories.

Comment by not in the biz — Sunday January 23, 2011 @ 10:12am PST
      • To REALLY do Miller’s Dark Knight the movie would HAVE to be
        rated R like Watchmen. WB can’t possibly do that with their biggest property. The Batman of Dark Knight or Killing Joke or The Cult or any of the more mature storylines simply does not/can not
        exist outside of the comics world. (OK, well there was that one short segment in the animated Batman, but besides that, you will NEVER see Miller’s Batman outside of comics)

Comment by sethj — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 12:22pm PST
      • They said it wild be an updated version of Bane, which means they thought he was too cartoony too. It will be good and Anne is the perfect cast for Catwoman.

Comment by Jeff — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 2:35pm PST
      • I’ve wanted to see a Dark Knight returns with Mark Hamil since I read it. Would be so damn good.

Comment by Josiah — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 11:31pm PST
      • so clint eastwood can die while they’re in the middle of filming. yeah, great idea, stupid.

Comment by Anonymous — Thursday January 20, 2011 @ 6:10am PST
      • im sorry but you reallt dont know anything about the cominc books.. Bane was never cartoony. he was the only villain to haev a genius level itellect and wore down the batman mentally befre breaking his back.. bane was a trainer of his own body and was rasied in prison and was even considered a genius by Ra’s Ahl Ghul .. you should read he comic books and not just watch batman and robin for ur interpertation of bane…. Read the comics and his history he is the most menacing of the villains..

Comment by j88 — Monday July 25, 2011 @ 11:10pm PDT
  • MeOw purrrrfect!

Comment by JasonTrenton — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 9:44am PST
  • I’m fine with Anne Hathaway, although I think Eva Green would have been an excellent choice. I am not sold on Bane. They could have found a better villain to go with. I know Nolan interprets the villains in interesting, realistic ways, but Bane doesn’t seem like a fit for his Batman films.

Comment by Dony — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 9:46am PST
    • I agree with your comment about Eva Green but I feel like Nolan could easily make Bane a very gritty, realistic character. I mean they took Ra’s Al Ghul and made him realistic. I trust Nolan with this.

Comment by Dave — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 11:19am PST
    • Absolutely in agreement about Eva Green! She’s a top notch actress that is completely over -looked. She would be a fucking awesome catwoman! If only if only :/

Comment by Arcon — Thursday January 20, 2011 @ 3:51am PST
  • Anne looked amazing at the Golden Globes but she was a bit skinny.

I hope she gains about 5-10 lbs. to get those boobs back to their normally ginormous size.

Comment by Classy Guy — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 9:46am PST
    • I agree, skinnier doesn’t necessarily equal hotter. And thank you for the wonderful gif.

Comment by Stay Classy — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 10:20am PST
    • Assuming that Selina becomes Catwoman in this film, Hathaway is going to have to add some weight since she will need to bulk up a at least a little bit for the role.

Comment by frug — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 11:08am PST
  • Bane is, and has always been CUBAN!!!! Another role that could have gone to a talented Latino actor goes elsewhere. What’s with casting the limey?

Comment by Desi Arnaz — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 9:50am PST
    • To his credit, Bruce Timm has always used Latinos to voice the role in cartoons (Henry Siva and Hector Elizindo, if I recall).

Comment by cst — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 10:29am PST
    • Actually he’s Santa Priscan, duh. Very good point though, yet another opportunity to cast an up-and-coming Latino actor, wasted.

Also, Bane is supposed to be a big guy, and while I can see how Nolan would shy away from a giant actor for someone more subtle, Hardy is 5’9.” I know he’s a muscular guy, but still.

Hathaway was the best choice though and although Catwoman has been done, she works and fits the feel of Nolan’s interpretation.

Comment by LennySands — Wednesday January 19, 2011 @ 10:39am PST
      • Hathaway looks like more of a Hello Kitty.

Comment by Himenez Cricket — Monday January 24, 2011 @ 1:23pm PST