Paul Verhoeven To Helm Sexy Ghost Tale

EXCLUSIVE: In a deal that puts him back into that saucy Basic Instinct territory, Paul Verhoeven has made a deal to direct Eternal, a supernatural thriller that is Fatal Attraction – with a succubus temptress. The film was developed by Sidney Kimmel Entertainment from a pitch by David Loughery (Obsessed), who wrote the script. Verhoeven comes aboard along with  Richard D’Ovidio (Exit Wounds), who’ll do a rewrite. Eternal shapes up as a possible next project for Verhoeven, with production targeted for next summer. In Eternal, a married recovering alcoholic helps a woman threatening to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge. They end up in bed, and in a torrid sexual affair. When he gets home, he’s confronted by his wife and a private investigator, with photos spread across a table. He thinks he’s busted, but the photos that should have shown him in the clinches with his mistress instead show him alone, drinking alcohol. He initially questions his own sanity, but progressively figures out that this temptress is a ghost who is after his soul. The picture will be produced by Kimmel, Greene Street Films’ John Penotti, A Bigger Boat’s Peter Block and Sparkler Entertainment’s Charles Segars.

Under new production head Matt Berenson, the reconfigured SKE intends to finance and produce generate 3 to 5 pictures per year with budgets ranging from $10 million to $25 million.  ICM repped Verhoeven and the writers.

• Verhoeven is the man!!

Comment by westla5555 — Thursday October 14, 2010 @ 6:46pm PDT
  • This sounds like an interesting premise for a supernatural thriller.

If “Eternal” is green-lit by a major studio, I can’t help wondering who’d be cast in the roles of the married man, the sexy ghost, the married man’s wife and the private eye, and whether it would be better to have a cast of relative unknowns, or actors who haven’t made the A-list yet.

Comment by Stephie — Thursday October 14, 2010 @ 8:29pm PDT
  • who doesn’t love rich d’ovidio hard working writer who plays the rewriting game without complaining. His script Ace in the Hole is one of the best unproduced scripts out there. What ever happened to that one. i take that back i got to get to work tomorrow and find out before one you rats out there beats me to it.

Comment by rich d fan — Thursday October 14, 2010 @ 9:24pm PDT
  • I read Loughery’s draft what a perfect script for PV. Speaking of great unproduced scripts I have asked my boss about Loughery’s script 7 Brides. A great Butch Cassidy meet Ocean 11 western I love.

Comment by son of sam — Thursday October 14, 2010 @ 9:27pm PDT
  • This film offends me in so many ways. As someone who knows people that believe in ghosts, there’s really no humor to be had on the matter. Exploiting paranormal romance as some sort of fetish or perversion is grossly offensive. It makes my head explode with nails to think that the man responsible for Basic Instinct would try to fetishize ghosts in this manner. Many loved ones, past and present, are very much alive because they believe in the power of the ghost.

Comment by Benny — Friday October 15, 2010 @ 1:56am PDT
    • Hey Benny! Time for your meds. Be good and don’t listen to those voices in your head!

Comment by and the Jets — Friday October 15, 2010 @ 12:40pm PDT
    • Bwahahaha! That is priceless. Thanks, man.

Comment by chadlaca — Friday October 15, 2010 @ 8:31pm PDT
  • PV is back!!! Shake up the bland cinematic landscape you crazy dutchman!!!!

Comment by Alboone — Friday October 15, 2010 @ 4:15am PDT
  • 7 Brides is effing fantastic, but no Ocean 11 vibe to it in the least. Can’t see why Warners let that one go. Perfect for Matt Damon.

Comment by oldmantime — Friday October 15, 2010 @ 7:21am PDT
  • This sounds like Verhoeven back in his big lurid wheelhouse! Excellent news!!

I just hope it’s as trashily sexy and glossy a guilty pleasure as Basic Instinct was (and still is) all those years ago.

Comment by Atomic — Friday October 15, 2010 @ 12:09pm PDT
  • I read 7 Brides a few years ago it was always my favorite script of my writers group. It is very reminiscent of Butch Cassidy but with roles for 2-3 top woman actresses. Very very funny with awesome dialogue. Every male actor wants to get a gun and be a cowboy. Ben Affleck could direct this one out of the ballpark!

I want to direct it. Do you think my agent reads this and can get me a meeting on it.

Comment by stu — Friday October 15, 2010 @ 12:57pm PDT
  • One thing about Verhoeven even when he is bad (“Showgirls”, “Hollow Man”) he is outrageously entertaining. He has been gone too long from the American mainscreen.

Comment by JAB — Saturday October 16, 2010 @ 11:43am PDT