Universal Lands Stephen King’s ‘The Dark Tower’ And Plans Unprecedented Feature/Network TV Adaptation

EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures and NBC Universal Television Entertainment have closed a deal to turn Stephen King’s mammoth novel series The Dark Tower into a feature film trilogy and a network TV series, both of which will be creatively steered by the Oscar-winning team behind A Beautiful Mind and The Da Vinci Code.

Ron Howard has committed to direct the initial feature film, as well as the first season of the TV series that will follow in close proximity. Akiva Goldsman will write the film, and the first season of the TV series. Howard’s Imagine Entertainment partner Brian Grazer will produce, with Goldsman and the author.

When Deadline revealed in April that Howard, Goldman and Grazer planned to team with King, Universal was battling Warner Bros—home of Goldsman’s Weed Road–for the property. The multi-platform deal was so comprehensive, it took months to close. It will be announced later today by Universal Pictures chairman Adam Fogelson, co-chairman Donna Langley, NBC Universal Television Entertainment chairman Jeff Gaspin, and NBC & Universal Media Studios Primetime Entertainment president Angela Bromstad, all of whom pulled it together.

I spoke with Goldsman and Howard, who have polled enough of their peers to be convinced what they are doing here has never been attempted: using a major studio’s film and TV platforms simultaneously to tell a story. It is reminiscent of when Peter Jackson directed three installments of The Lord of The Rings, back to back, so that they could be released in three consecutive years.

“What Peter did was a feat, cinematic history,” Howard told me. “The approach we’re taking also stands on its own, but it’s driven by the material. I love both, and like what’s going on in TV. With this story, if you dedicated to one medium or another, there’s the horrible risk of cheating material. The scope and scale call for a big screen budget. But if you committed only to films, you’d deny the audience the intimacy and nuance of some of these characters and a lot of cool twists and turns that make for jaw-dropping, compelling television. We’ve put some real time and deep thought into this, and a lot of conversations and analysis from a business standpoint, to get people to believe in this and take this leap with us. I hope audiences respond to it in a way that compels us to keep going after the first year or two of work. It’s fresh territory for me, as a filmmaker.”

Considered King’s answer to JRR Tolkien’s Middle Earth trilogy, The Dark Tower revolves around Roland Deschain, the last living member of a knightly order of gunslingers, and humanity’s last hope to save a civilization that will crumble unless he finds the Dark Tower. Howard and Goldsman describe the world as “an alternate Americana, one part post-apocalyptic, one part Sergio Leone.”

Goldsman first mentioned The Dark Tower to Howard and Grazer while they worked on A Beautiful Mind nearly a decade ago.

“Akiva said, ‘Stephen will not let go of it, but it’s like nothing else you’ve ever read,’” Howard recalled. “It was frustrating because it’s one of those works where you read it, and then at odd times, the imagery and sensations just pop up in your mind. This is going to be an amazing life experience for us, trying to do justice to the story and the universe.”

King granted an option—for $19, a number relevant to the plotline–to JJ Abrams and his Lost partners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. They never cracked the sprawling plotline and all the characters. Goldsman pounced when the rights were available, but saw the same problems until Howard suggested using film and TV platforms. Though Howard famously grew up on a TV screen on The Andy Griffith Show, he hasn’t directed TV since the early 80s, but is eager to return. It seems hard to fathom he’d direct a full season’s worth of episodes, but that is the early plan, and who says they have to do 22 to create that bridge to the next film?

The plan is to start with the feature film, and then create a bridge to the second feature with a season of TV episodes. That means the feature cast—and the big star who’ll play Deschain—also has to appear in the TV series before returning to the second film. After that sequel is done, the TV series picks up again, this time focusing on Deschain as a young gunslinger. Those storylines will be informed by a prequel comic book series that King was heavily involved in plotting. The third film would pick up the mature Deshain as he completes his journey. They will benefit from being able to use the same sets cast and crew for the movie and TV, which could help contain costs on what will be a financially ambitious undertaking.

“We will certainly be looking to maximize both creative and fiscal opportunities by creating one enterprise that encompasses TV and movies,” Goldsman said. “Some of the shooting will likely encompass both platforms, and that has never been done before. It’s thrilling, we feel like kids in a candy story.”

Goldsman is writing, and Howard said he and Grazer have cleared the decks to do this quickly. “I’m finishing The Dilemma, and then I don’t have anything scheduled and I plan to work hard on this with Akiva and Brian,” Howard told me. “We will refine our take on the feature and TV shows. We have a clear view of what we want to do, and we’re lucky to have a company with the nerve to back us up on this venture.”

Howard, Grazer and Goldsman will exec produce the TV series for Universal Media Studios. Kerry Foster will exec produce the first film for Weed Road, along with Imagine’s Todd Hallowell and Erica Huggins.

• I can see this working.
    I can also see this imploding.
    Maybe we’ll have to wait for the next cycle to get it right.

Comment by ChrisPUT — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 2:15pm PDT
    • I agree, it’s such a mammoth project, and its being done all at the same time practically that it could be great, or it could be terrible. Hopefully the TV series ends up on cable, otherwise I could see the networks mishandling this badly.

Comment by JohnDoe — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 1:26am PDT
      • it will work with kings help look how green mile was released a littel bit at a time on audio book an it was a big hit

Comment by dale brumbaugh — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 7:17am PDT
      • This is such a huge task to take, but I think Mr. Howard would be up to it. I hope they cast properly. Hopefully, no AListers. We need someone who is hungry to be a star. Look at The Stand. When they made that, most of those actors I had never heard of, but for the most part the movie worked.
        Can hardly wait to see the set of Blaine and his travels!!
        OH MY GOSH, I’m so exited about this. STEPHEN KING IS A GENIUS.

Comment by Brenda — Friday September 17, 2010 @ 8:05am PDT
        • I hope they get an a-lister for Roland. It’s going to take someone with real acting chops and depth of character to play him. I get the whole let’s cast newcomers, but this is so epic, is they cast a bunch of no names, no matter how good they are, it won’t have as much magic to it and buzz. A good balance between new acting stock and a couple of old school greats would make the most sense to me. Roland obviously needs to be one, and whoever plays Cort. Eddie could be done by a lot of actors, maybe Jada Pinkett Smith could play Susannah. As for Jake, who knows.

Comment by D — Wednesday February 9, 2011 @ 6:17pm PST
          • I think Eddie Dean will MAKE this movie. He’s the first person Roland DRAWS and He goes through the most changes. Dopehead to Gunslinger. He becomes a man. And he’s funny as hell the whole series.
            I think he is also the REALEST connection to our world. A jokester a lover an addict and a disciple.
            His death should be a heart-breaking event; that way susanah’s pain,grief and determination to continue the quest is that much more applaudable and understandable. Likewise whoever they cast to play cuthbert allgood should be able to reach the same depth. I like paul rudd although he may be to old.

Comment by kristos — Tuesday February 15, 2011 @ 10:40am PST
        • I can’t wait also, i really can see Viggo Mortensen as Roland .. i do hope he gets the role offered to him……its a brilliant series, I loved the Dark Tower, i kind off grew up with it.

Comment by Karin — Friday February 11, 2011 @ 4:21am PST
          • I completely agree with you one hundred percent!!! I am hoping against hope that Viggo is who they cast as Roland!!! I absolutely cannot wait to see this on film. I will be dying until the day if finally hits theatres…and our television screens at home!

Comment by Ashley — Monday February 14, 2011 @ 10:53pm PST
          • i was thinking viggo too!

Comment by jbone315 — Thursday March 24, 2011 @ 11:23pm PDT
          • No, no, no. Javier Barden, without question.

Comment by Craiggers — Sunday March 27, 2011 @ 3:44pm PDT
      • There has to be at least one a lister,and i think everyone has already nominated Clint Eastwood as the slinger himself. I agree thats who i see when i read the books over and over again. but he is described as old long tall and ugly so it would have to be someone who is not so pretty,and I think Josh Brolin would be a good pick,if he werent so pretty.An unknown would be good but i think they just need to do what they did in terminator salvation with arnold and computer generate a younger eastwood. lol. Howard and Grazer kinda worry me spearheading this(have you seen Willow?) i dont want a PG tower series,it deserves an R rating

Comment by abbreviated penis — Thursday September 30, 2010 @ 6:30am PDT
        • What about Timothy Olyphant (Deadwood on HBO, Justified on FX)?

He would be absolutely PERFECT as Roland. Does anyone else agree with me?

Joan Bertrando

Comment by JOAN BERTRANDO — Friday February 4, 2011 @ 7:25am PST
      • I am very pleased that Ron Howard and the minds behind “A BEAUTIFUL MIND” and Universal will be doing the Dark Tower Series adapted for Film/TV. It really doesn’t get any better than Ron Howard in Hollywood people. Who else could do it? If there will ever be a DARK TOWER series for film, Ron Howard and his team are the ones that can actually pull it off and do the story justice. The Story is so lengthy and detailed and beautiful that the only way to even make it and do the story justice is to make it in at LEAST 3 movies (like LOTR) they could actually do it more films …say 4 or even 5 films that encompass the stories entirety, but I do like the idea of filling in the blanks between the major films with TV/CAble Series. Just because it hasn’t been done successfully by many producers doesn’t mean Ron Howard can’t make it work. Everything that guy does (nearly everything anyway) is done with respect to the original story and author. At least that’s my take on this… I desperately want to see someone bring the DT series to Film, but would hate to see someone destroy the story with crap-acting, and cheap props/sets, like some of King’s other film adaptations. Anyone ever see the movie version of “IT”? I could go on about it, but we all know how poorly books typically translate into film. Hopefully this will be done correctly and the DARK TOWER will become as huge as it deserves to be. How many Harry Potter movies have there been??? TEN? And those are childrens stories, from an author that is in my opinion nowhere near as brilliant as KING. Just think of how popular the DARK TOWER could be. I can barely contain my excitement.

Comment by John Hoffman — Tuesday November 16, 2010 @ 11:58am PST
        • Ron Howard might have done well with a Beautiful Mind and The Cinderella Man, but The Davinci Code and Angels and Demons were both rubbish. I was severly disapointed when I learned he got this project. Peter Jackson or Guillermo del Toro would have been my picks. I don’t think this type of storyline ia at all suited for Howard. I do agree with the other King t.v. movies, especially IT, which in my opinion was a joke. Minus Tim Curry the entire cast was a bomb.

Comment by Elijahonfire — Sunday November 21, 2010 @ 4:25am PST
      • I agree completely if this ends up on N.B.C. they will have to censor it and that would not be true to the work that Steven Kind did.

Comment by drfourtwenty — Friday February 4, 2011 @ 1:08pm PST
    • @ChrisPut

On Cable?! These books are dark and violent, something you’re not going to be able to get across on cable.

Comment by Papashroom — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 6:25am PDT
      • that makes no sense… it’s NETWORK that wouldn’t work because it’s heavily regulated by the FCC. Cable is different because it’s subscription based and therefore doesn’t answer to the FCC. That’s why you get shows like FX’s Rescue Me and Sons of Anarchy with more intense, adult plot lines and delivery.

Comment by Aaron — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 10:28am PDT
        • Three letters….HBO

Comment by D — Monday January 17, 2011 @ 12:30pm PST
      • I think you’re misreading… cable means HBO, Showtime or possibly AMC (willing to do edgy material).

It’s the NETWORKS that are afraid of the dark, violent stuff.

Comment by Alan Strangis — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 11:14am PDT
        • Considering that this is being released by Universal, the tv series will most likely end up on scifi or showtime.

Comment by bystandah — Tuesday January 18, 2011 @ 10:17pm PST
          • You are all misreading this! It says that Universal is picking it up for the big screen production and that NBC (a network) is picking up the televised portion. So there’s your answer to where it’s heading…. not cable, so I don’t seeing this end well.

Comment by Anonymous — Tuesday January 25, 2011 @ 8:49pm PST
      • What about True Blood bro?

Comment by Bill Jamison — Monday September 13, 2010 @ 9:15am PDT
      • Network, they said, not cable…..dooomed – although imagine has made some good tv, i pray that the dumbing down wont send this off the rails.

Comment by Anonymous — Saturday September 18, 2010 @ 5:43am PDT
      • No, I think it’s the other way around sir… the books are two dark and violent to be conveyed on broadcast network TV.

Comment by TheManJesus — Sunday September 26, 2010 @ 2:44am PDT
    • I like this idea. but its such a graphic series. I guess Gunslinger and 3 doors will b the first film and the tv series will pick up after Susanna joins the ka-tet. I expect the first tv series to end with Roland and Jake reuniting. Then the Wastelands will be the second movie(Cant wait to hear Blain’s voice). Ending this with Roland’s crew finally comforting our Man in Black. The next tv series will be Rolands past with the lovely Susan Delago. Then the final movie his climb of the tower. Wonder if harry potter fans will b amused.

Comment by Kyle — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 9:57am PDT
    • I have been waiting many years to see if they would finally turn this into a movie. I am excited about the movie. I have read the series at least 25 times. But why the hell a tv series? I hate this part, and would love to tell them they are fucking it up. But they will find that out soon enough.

Comment by Anonymous — Friday September 10, 2010 @ 6:39pm PDT
      • i dont think they would “fuck it up” though, because with the TV show, on cable no less, they have so many more opportunities to help develop the characters and the story that they wouldnt be able to do in the movies alone. besides, do we really need to see all of wizard and glass on the big screen? i think not sir

Comment by ben — Tuesday September 14, 2010 @ 3:38pm PDT
    • i’m a BIG king fan and i know it will never be as good as the books but i long to see it anyway…
      it’s just too big to be done in few movies or few seasons
      if they go all out on it i will be satisfied…

Comment by copavi_gubavac — Saturday September 11, 2010 @ 2:40pm PDT
    • That’s the beauty of the never ending cycle of the story; it can have endless do overs.

I love the way that most all of Sai Kings other novels exist somewhere in The Dark Tower. I mean, the dude is a marketing genius as I like many others went and re-purchased all the books mentioned as being part of the Tower.

Hearts In Atlantis was an interesting read, but the re-read was much better when I knew that the context was part of The Dark Tower series.

I loved book two and book seven, it was Song Of Susana that I could have done without.

Comment by ATG — Sunday September 12, 2010 @ 11:20pm PDT
    • I believe this can work with the proper cast and enough money, Johnny Depp or Robert Downy JR. as Roland Deschain would kick ass! 20 years ago Clint Eastwood would have been perfect

Comment by noah — Friday September 17, 2010 @ 8:09pm PDT
      • Clint Eastwood would have been perfect, especially since he was the basis for Roland’s appearance. But he is much too old now. I had him pictured as Roland, but then started to picture Viggo Mortensen as Roland. Could just be me though

Comment by Troy — Saturday October 9, 2010 @ 5:33pm PDT
        • I think Viggo is actually perfect for the man in black.
          Jim Kaviezel for Roland, and damn shame Heath is dead – he would’ve made a great Eddie.

Comment by Rona — Tuesday December 21, 2010 @ 3:32am PST
      • You all have made poor choices. Roland can only be played by Daniel Day-Lewis…..if he has free time from his cobbling job.

Stand in for Mr. Day-Lewis:

Alan Alda! COME ON!!!

Comment by bango skank — Thursday December 9, 2010 @ 7:15pm PST
    • Josh Holloway as The Gunslinger!!! Please…please!

Comment by Jenm — Wednesday September 22, 2010 @ 6:15pm PDT
      • Actually I think Josh Holloway is totally Eddie! I am re-reading after watching LOST and minus the souther accent he has the perfect form of sarcasm for eddie!

Comment by K-Ro — Friday October 8, 2010 @ 7:51pm PDT
        • I agree Josh would be a great Eddie!!! You know, if they were to read these comments, they might actually find their perfect cast…After all, it will be the fans opinion that counts most…Can’t wait :)

Comment by Ashley — Monday February 14, 2011 @ 11:25pm PST
    • I agree almost wholeheartedly concerning an “unknown” actor taking on the life of Roland. My sister got me into The Dark Tower in 2001, and we wound up finishing the series together in 2008. We figured the only “known” options were Clint Eastwood or… I nearly wet myself when she suggested… Daniel Day Lewis(!!). If neither of those 3 work out, our father is best, who has been described by my friends as “What Clint Eastwood tries to be.”

Comment by CINC — Tuesday September 28, 2010 @ 10:29pm PDT
    • This is HORRIBLE, they are going to ruin the series, there is no way they can put the detail that the book provides into a MOVIE or a network TV series, there will be too much censoring and changing of events to make it more “Politically Correct” and more “Victorian” to please the tight asses that make good works into HORRIBLE movies.

Comment by Sam — Sunday November 14, 2010 @ 11:10pm PST
    • VIGGO MORTENSEN. For Roland. End of story.

Comment by Heath — Sunday December 12, 2010 @ 7:47pm PST
    • Think: Liam Neeson as Roland

Comment by Steve — Thursday January 27, 2011 @ 6:05am PST
      • Anson Mount from Hell on wheels would be perfect as roland.

Comment by Fgl — Sunday February 5, 2012 @ 4:43pm PST
    • I HAVE WAITED SO LONG FOR SOMEONE TO PICK THIS UP AND BULLDOZE WITH IT. THE STORY IS ONE OF A KIND AND DEAR TO MY HEART. I THINK RON HOWARD WILL DO ALL HE CAN TO BRING THIS STORY TO SIGHT. I THINK JIM CAVIZEL (PASSION OF THE CHRIST) WOULD MAKE THE PERFECT ROLAND. I’LL BE WAITING.

Comment by SODONNELL — Tuesday February 15, 2011 @ 10:37am PST
    • Excited to learn they w/b making a movie/mini-series/trilogy of Stephen King’s Dark Tower/Gunslinger books. will be amazing. However, I read somewhere they are thinking of casting Russell Crowe as Roland…I hope they rethink this. He doesn’t even look like the description of the character in the book. I’m thinking someone like Anson Mount or a Clint Eastwood type. Someone who is lean, craggy face but good looking. Russell Crowe has a pudgy baby face and just doesn’t fit the role in my opinion. Hopefully,they will take their time on this lead role. There are a few that could pull it off very well.

Comment by sandi — Monday June 17, 2013 @ 5:52pm PDT
  • Love the idea but how will they handle Jake’s character who is 10 throughout the entire story?

Comment by OldDarth — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 2:16pm PDT
    • No, he isn’t. He’s 10 at one point, 12 later, and then some indeterminate amount of time goes on in the course of the journey.

Comment by Matt — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 8:59pm PDT
      • Yeah Jake gets older. I have no idea who to cast for him. gonna have to be a kid out of auditions

Comment by Anonymous — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 10:20am PDT
  • Ugh, couldn’t have picked a worse team to adapt the books

Comment by Paul — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 2:16pm PDT
    • I agree! Ron Howard is sooooo Middle Brow, it’s like he doesn’t have any aspirations at all to make great films. This project requires someone with the artistic insight of Aronofsky, or Nolan. I do like that Akiva Goldsman is writing though.

Comment by Altered — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 11:51pm PDT
      • I haven’t loved a single thing Goldsman has written. Of course I can point to Lost in Space and Batman and Robin, but I also hated A Beautiful Mind. I, Robot and I Am Legend were both half-good. The project sounds really interesting, I just wish I had more faith in the talent.

Comment by Michael — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 6:56am PDT
      • you are not the only person on this planet.

Comment by Anonymous — Saturday September 11, 2010 @ 3:13am PDT
        • no, he’s not, but he’s certainly not alone.

Comment by amy — Tuesday September 14, 2010 @ 3:48pm PDT
      • I don’t know how you can say Howard is Middle Brow….Did you ever see Arrested Development? That was a very good TV series/sitcom that was directed by Howard. That was pushing the limits of non pay TV, and it worked out very well.

Comment by Chris — Thursday October 14, 2010 @ 11:48am PDT
    • I fully agree, WHY, only WHY Ron Howard and Brian Grazer?
      Why not Chris Nolan, Sam Raimi or Frank Darabont? Especially Frank Darabont has a proven track record of delivering top-notch Stephen King movies… hello, this has to become at least as good as SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, if not better

Comment by Uwe — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 3:12am PDT
      • maybe because they couldnt get those people? or they had no interest in trying to undertake such massive projects all at once?

Comment by ben — Tuesday September 14, 2010 @ 3:39pm PDT
    • King, save the series! This could be revolutionary in the right hands.

Comment by G — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 4:30am PDT
    • I’m with you on that. It saddened me that Peter Jackson didn’t end up with it. A story this dark and complex will never make it with this crew. What a pity.

Comment by elijahonfire — Sunday November 21, 2010 @ 4:32am PST
  • Sounds interesting—and I like that Howard is spearheading this thing so it’ll be good. Looking forward to the 1st installment on screen. Hugh Jackman would be GR8 as Deschain.

Comment by PatKat — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 2:18pm PDT
    • How about Clive Owen??

Comment by SheDevil — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 8:18pm PDT
      • How about not… I’d rather see a relative unknown. Heck, you know who I like for it? Dean McDermott. He’s actually a pretty good actor.

Comment by Jenna — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 8:16am PDT
        • ED HARRIS AS ROLAND!!! I met Ed once while i was reading the series and couldn’t stop thinking about him as Roland.

Comment by Joel — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 11:10am PDT
          • How about… Not making this movie at all.

No matter how well-made it is, fans of the books and the entire universe linked to it will never be satisfied and once you see it, you can’t unsee the actors or scenery so any time one rereads the books, they will see the people and places chosen for them, rather than the ones generated in your imagination by reading those fantastic pages.

Comment by Damien — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 3:46pm PDT
          • I heard about JJ Abrams’ involvement while Lost was still going, and immediately thought Josh Holloway would be an awesome Roland.

Comment by Rod — Friday September 10, 2010 @ 11:42am PDT
          • Maybe its my age (and I’m not that old!) but I can’t picture anyone else as Roland but Clint Eastwood. Picture ‘The Unforgiven’.

Comment by Lacey — Friday September 10, 2010 @ 8:42pm PDT
            ed harris
            ed harris
            thank you. that is exactly the man i had envisioned. i just hadn’t been aware of it until you mentioned it.

Comment by mackenzie Lindahl — Friday September 10, 2010 @ 10:21pm PDT
          • I think josh holloway would make a better eddie dean than roland

Comment by Anonymous — Tuesday September 14, 2010 @ 12:55am PDT
          • How ’bout Clint Eastwood…..The man Stephen King based Roland on ?

Comment by Dale V. — Sunday September 19, 2010 @ 8:51pm PDT
          • I agree that Harris would be great. Also think Liam Neeson fits the roll perfectly.

Comment by Ken — Wednesday September 22, 2010 @ 8:20am PDT
      • I am Wondering If stephen King will Play himself

Comment by Anonymous — Monday September 20, 2010 @ 7:41am PDT
      • Clive Owen could work- how about Gabriel Byrne as the Man in Black?

Comment by andrew j — Friday September 24, 2010 @ 10:21am PDT
    • I was absolutely addicted to this series of kings books (I have over 40 of his pieces)but was upset about the ending… hopefully these individuals doing this film can do much better than needful things! Every book is much better than its movie but that was just awful!

Comment by Melissa — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 9:48pm PDT
      • you were upset about the ending?
        are you insane?
        it’s perfect
        anything else would be a disaster

Comment by copavi_gubavac — Saturday September 11, 2010 @ 2:45pm PDT
        • Um. Lemme see.

First off. King (in a spectacular display of ego) actually writes himself into the series. King must be saved from the Drunk Driver at all costs or the universe will end! Even James Cameron doesn’t have the gall to write himself into a story as a character.

Um. What else? Oh I know!

Don’t confuse “genius” with outright laziness from the writer.

Shall I go on? Okay!

The final showdown with the Crimson King. All this build up to a massive showdown with a frightening foe. Roland’s doomed! Whoops, no he’s not. Cause King dumps in a character who can “sketch and erase” reality. Oh forget about basic story telling principles like “the lead character must be the one to save the day.” Nah, who gives a fuck. “I’m Stephen King! I can be as lazy as I want!” So we got the “menacing” Crimson King hanging on a balcony screaming like your demented uncle at a cookout. An “eraser boy” basically breaks out his sketch pad, draws a picture of the Crimson One, and erases him from reality!

And now the final insult. Roland in the tower. Here I was hoping for a massive do-or-die battle where Roland and his posse fight a legion of bad guys to save the tower from falling.

Nope.

We get a guided tour of Roland’s life. And in the end, someone (Fuck knows who) shoves Roland out a door and back into the desert, where he’s chasing the “Man in Black” at the start of the very first book. It turns out, Roland’s stuck in an infinite loop, doomed to do the same thing over and over again.

And your thought the ending to “Lost” was a letdown?!

God, whatever happens, I HOPE they change the ending. Cause Dark Tower 7 blows! Dark Tower 7 blows! Dark Tower 7 fucking blows!

The ending isn’t brave. It isn’t bold. It’s a lazy, arrogant wad of spit launched in the faces of those who (used) to love the Dark Tower series.

And fuck anyone who says otherwise.

Comment by Dark Tower 7 blows — Saturday September 11, 2010 @ 8:43pm PDT
          • Go to the toilet, pick up a book of any kind. Then take a deeeeep breath.
            Ps: Stay.

Comment by K@rst1 — Sunday September 12, 2010 @ 7:39am PDT
          • My sentiments exactly.

Comment by PumperTruck — Monday September 13, 2010 @ 3:21pm PDT
          • down boy, also, its his story, he can do whatever he wants, the whole point of being able to create a troy that affects the whole of creation, and then being able to tie it into so many different realities like that, including our own, is pretty damn cool. i read it and i was like “stephen king you mother fucker, so cool!”

some people didnt like the ending, but in my opinion, it just works, i liked it because i makes sense, what more could you ask for?

Comment by Anonymous — Tuesday September 14, 2010 @ 3:43pm PDT
          • I have to say that I disagree with your argument, and the last line of it in particular says to me that you have a swaying faith in what you have stated. I also disagree with your definition of Ego. If king were trying to glorify himself I would use the Dark tower series as an example of him Not doing so, He doesn’t paint a flattering picture of himself. Furthermore calling Stephen king “lazy” and a “motherfucker” as a form of Criticism speaks volumes for your ability to apply critical thought to your interpretations. Speaking of interpretations lets start with your own,

1)”How about the method breakers use to destroy beams? They sit around reading magazines. Wow! How fucking inventive!”-
            This shows how much you retain from reading, breakers also were fed drugs, kept prisoners (although in luxury), little annoying that you glaze over these things.

2)”The final showdown with the Crimson King..Oh forget about basic story telling principles like “the lead character must be the one to save the day.”- I really don’t see how you can Criticise a Storywriter of Kings caliber. Frankly, if you don’t like a book don’t read it, but the final showdown was Roland all the way and the circular loop the books are what keep the crimson king from being destroyed. this of course isn’t evident till later in the book.

3)”And now the final insult. Roland in the tower..We get a guided tour of Roland’s life. And in the end, someone (Fuck knows who) shoves Roland out a door and back into the desert, where he’s chasing the “Man in Black” at the start of the very first book. It turns out, Roland’s stuck in an infinite loop, doomed to do the same thing over and over again”- Ok, this is where I think you skimmed a little. Roland wasn’t pushed, He was pulled through, and someone help me out here, I think it was Gan or some sort of force. Furthermore it was explained that he was to start over and try again with the horn of Eld, which he is supposed to blow on the top of the tower.

4)”Stephen King you are a motherfucking son of a bitch, and I swore you off after Dark Tower 7.”- If anything, after the swearing you are probably doing a few, not just King, a favor and not even reading anymore. frankly your interpretations are wrong, your recollection is wrong, and your use of profanity in composing a coherent response is unutterably WRONG.

Do yourself a favor and just don’t voice your opinion, your embarrassing yourself letting your stupid, ignorant thought’s get in the way of discussing the possibility of an adaptation of a series getting on the big and small screens.

Comment by Tim Drake — Monday September 20, 2010 @ 9:17am PDT
          • It is so unfortunate you feel the need to vulgarly dishearten Stephen King’s work. This amazing piece of writing has been with me for over half my life. I have read it over and over again, and each time Roland’s world is as vivid as ever in my mind. I waited patiently for years to see how the epic would end. When book 7 was published, it was a heartbreaking experience for me, because I knew this was going to be the last of Roland’s journey. When the story was finished, I literally sat there for a long while soaking in what I had experienced through these books. It was ingenious that the author spent agonizing years to build Roland’s character and his inner world, just to have last laugh on Roland. Stephen King made Roland not a character to me, but an actual being. I am nervously excited to see this on screen. I have many friends who are too lazy or busy to pick up these books and read, so this will be great opportunity to share this world with them. I too think it is necessary to make on-screen and TV series coinciding together. There is no possible way to give justice in only 3 movies. I have no doubt Stephen King will not allow and accept anything but the best in presenting the most significant work of his life. It is obvious that Roland is his baby, and he should protected Roland’s character at all costs. Thank you Stephen King for your dedication to Roland and to us, your dedicated readers.

Comment by Angelica — Friday September 24, 2010 @ 10:05am PDT
          • How is NOT following the junior college creative writing class way of keeping stories predictable, similiarly structured, and built on an easy fo follow pattern lazy?

Plus, you seem crazier ‘n shit. Someone should alert King’s security. This guy has stalker written all over him.

Comment by jerry james — Saturday October 2, 2010 @ 10:41am PDT
          • OK PSYCHO. Calm down. You obviously aren’t intelligent enough to follow the story and actually understand what was going on during the last book.

SPOILER ALERT!!! If you haven’t read the last book and don’t want to have the end spoiled then do NOT READ THIS!!!

One huge theme is the story was that ROLAND COULD NOT DO IT ALONE!!! It took the help of countless people along the way to even make it to the TOWER, and when Roland’s fingers were cut-off in the 2nd book, King is making one thing loud and clear… Roland needs help! So why are you so surprised that PATRICK needs to help him out at the end of the story? Patrick, TED, the KA-Tet, the people of the Calla, and many other all had to help ROLAND get to his destination.
            The MAIN thing you missed, which is crucial to the story is the HORN OF ELD. The horn was somehow given to Roland (by Sai King perhaps through his writing it into the story like the key that Jake found or other DEUS-EX-MACHINA techniques King used throught the story???)when he was pulled through the door at the top of the tower, at the end. I think it is sort of suggested or implied that the HORN could possibly be a key factor to CHANGING the infinite cycle/journey Roland is caught-up in.

Just had to put my two cents in. Those comments about King’s ruining the story bothered me.

Comment by John Hoffman — Tuesday November 16, 2010 @ 12:25pm PST
          • I think you missed the whole point of the ending of the DT series. King writes fbrilliantly and you are lead toward the ending when the gunslinger catcches the Man in Black and they have their palaver. He basically tells the gunslinger that he is stuck in a loop and that there is no way for him to end it unless he learns his lessons. Which of course he doesn’t because Roland was never really a true hero anyway. Roland is a flawed character throughout the series and King makes that abundantly clear. If you had paid any attention at all to the books you would know that. I mean come on how many times and in how many ways does Eddie call the gunslinger a bastard. And king wrote himself into the book for a purpose as well. It shows that when penning a work the author is often at the mercyu of the characters but in this case he wasn’t it was a response to the complaints recieved about the cliffhanger he left after the characters boarded blaine. Just try to pay more attention when you read and I’m sure that you will take more away from a work when you’re finished.

Comment by LongtimeDTfan — Friday November 19, 2010 @ 10:42am PST
          • I agree a lot with what everyone said here minus the ingrate who apparently missed the big picture. However, that is the beauty of reading a book you get to imagine it in your own mind so I suppose they have a right to their opinion. I want to gag at the mention of Twilight or Potter but hey millions of people are enthralled by the works. I found the ending to be superior. I have never been so excited and yet sad to read an ending to a story, especially one i’ve been reading for 20 years. Roland was a flawed charachter, and would have been doomed to failure had he not had his group. I’m sure Roland was a bit disheartned that he didn’t get the bloody showdown he’d anticipated time and time again. There are so many lessons to be had from this story which to me is an idea of reincarnation, being sent back until all the pieces fit. It is often not the endpoint arrival that matters, but what happened on the road to get you there. A good journey never ends. I actually cried at the end of the final book. I was relieved to know the story wasn’t over.

Comment by elijahonfire — Sunday November 21, 2010 @ 4:56am PST
          • I agree with you on SO many points, but the story and imagery are both so intense and surreal that I really do want to see it on the big screen. Does it need tweaking? Fuck yeah! But how cool is the BASIC storyline? Multiple universes converging to a single point in danger of being wiped from existence, and the characters don’t suck either. I say what the fuck? It’s better than another fucking Jennifer Aniston movie where she gets her heart broken and finds love at the end. Fuck her and her broken heart. But you did make some excellent points bro…

Comment by Rick M — Monday November 29, 2010 @ 2:18pm PST
          • Ummm.. yeah, obviously the ending of – and the entire book 7 – was waaaay over your head. Obviously you didn’t grasp what King was trying to convey. In fact, one could argue you were a lazy reader; which is ironic on many levels considering your childish rant.

With that said, if you’d like to behave like an adult and give it a re-read, I’m sure, with an open mind, you could find what King was going for. Until that happens, he’s above you intellectually.

Better yet, why don’t YOU write something that comes even remotely close in scope. We’re all waiting with bated breath.

Comment by Muspublisher — Monday December 13, 2010 @ 4:34am PST
          • That sure is a lot of words for someone who has “sworn off” Stepen king…

Comment by Callahan O' The Roads — Friday March 11, 2011 @ 9:18am PST
          • For your information the boy who erases the crimson kings eyes is a character from another book called insomnia. So not “glued in” as it were. also see, hearts in Atlantis, rose madder the talisman and black house, the stand, I.T, ‘Salem’s Lot, and more that are a little harder to connect but no less fantastic to find….. so no not lazy but genius…
            p.s go then, there are other worlds than these……

Comment by Nick Groves — Friday September 23, 2011 @ 3:08pm PDT
    • Hugh Jackman or Clive Owen, are you joking? Have you read the book? This cries for Jonathan Rhys-Meyers (Tudors, Match Point)!! He can play both ruthless killers and passionate lovers (needed in The Wizard and the Glass)…

Comment by Uwe — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 3:17am PDT
      • well obviously it can’t be the same actor playing Roland in Wizard and Glass than the other books… he’s supposed to be 14!! It’l have to be a different actor for sure. I mean… he’s HUNDREDS of years old, presumably, before he even makes it to the beach. Whoever plays Roland through most of the movies and series will have to be an older actor, someone in his 40s.

As for Rhys-Meyers, maybe I’m prejudiced by only seeing him in Tudors, but he seems far too soft and pretty-boyish to play Roland.

Comment by Aaron — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 10:37am PDT
      • Its “Wizard and Glass”, and Roland was 15 in the flashbacks.

Comment by Keith — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 12:07pm PDT
      • Hahahaha, this calls for a digitally younger clint eastwood, a man with no name – meyers, he boy with name.

Comment by Anonymous — Saturday September 18, 2010 @ 5:41am PDT
    • have none of you seen Taken?! Liam Neeson for Roland without any doubt what so ever. Total badass, great actor

Comment by Groi Boi — Monday September 13, 2010 @ 4:49pm PDT
      • Are you kidding?!! I have seen Taken- and it was a horrible movie.

Comment by Angelica — Friday September 24, 2010 @ 10:25am PDT
      • how about halle berry for susannah

Comment by lew m — Wednesday November 3, 2010 @ 9:46am PDT
  • How about Akiva Goldsmith?

No wonder writers are so paranoid.

Comment by sck — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 2:23pm PDT
  • I think this sounds very cool, innovative and makes business cents!
    JUST PLEASE DO NOT MAKE IT IN 3D!!!!!!

Comment by ShawnLake — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 2:26pm PDT
    • Agreed. It done right, it will be timeless. 3D is not needed for this compelling story.

Comment by jb — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 3:13pm PDT
    • Amen! No 3D! Ron’ s gonna need enough astin as it is…

Comment by Rick — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 12:50am PDT
      • You are so right, astin all the way and NO 3D.

Comment by Brenda Morton — Friday September 17, 2010 @ 7:50am PDT
        • Lots of astin, no 3D, and a tooter-fish popkin on the side. MMMMMMM MMMMMMMMM!

Comment by Ken — Wednesday September 22, 2010 @ 8:28am PDT
  • Goldsman is the only big question mark for me. Are we gonna get the ‘Beautiful Mind’ Goldsman or the everything else Goldsman. Personally, I think the project is too big for just him.

Comment by Tucker — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 2:27pm PDT
    • Three features. It will be a trilogy with two television series in-between. Bummed they’re not going the cable route. The material gets dark…

Comment by Rev — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 4:20pm PDT
      • Who’s to say it won’t be on cable? NBC Universal also owns SyFy and USA. Hell, they could dub it in Spanish and broadcast in on Telemundo.

Comment by Rev. Slappy — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 10:57am PDT
  • Love it. Any news on King’s reaction?

Comment by PM — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 2:28pm PDT
    • King must be okay with Goldsmith writing…I’m sure…at least I hope so…that he will have major input.

Comment by nosebetter — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 3:28pm PDT
    • King pretty much said in one of the graphic novels that he doesn’t really care how a movie adaptation turns out.

He feels that as long as the original source (the books in this case) is left for people to experience, an adaptation can do little harm.

Comment by lightus — Thursday September 9, 2010 @ 10:03am PDT
    • I waited patiently for years for each installment of this amazing series by Stephen King; only his genius could keep me interested that long. I was patient because King said The Dark Tower series really wrote itself. He could not write it as he did all the other works he has turned out, but had to wait for this story to make itself known to him from time to time. He also said he didn’t think he would ever live long enough to finish it ~ truly a life’s work. I would love to see this done in both mediums, as long as Stephen King himself controls the whole project. He can be trusted to know or find actors that ARE his characters, and he is the only one who could be trusted to bring this into being.

Comment by Jan — Friday September 10, 2010 @ 4:02pm PDT
  • I love the Dark Tower books. I never had any faith in a movie adaption until I read this plan.

I really hope they can pull this off.

Comment by Trama — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 2:32pm PDT
    • I know, right? I’m terrified and thrilled about this endeavor all at the same time. If they do it right, Jizz-In-My-Pants, if they do it wrong…DEVASTATION.

Comment by Aleina — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 8:25pm PDT
      • I was completely fired-up when I heard JJ Abrams bought the options a few years back for $19…. sorry to see he was not able to do anything with em though.. Guess we have to wait and see what ever comes of this news

Comment by Vinnie — Friday September 10, 2010 @ 1:02pm PDT
  • This is a GREAT idea! I love the books and when Team Howard/Grazer are good they are FANTASTIC. My worry is Goldsman… most overrated writer in Hollywood. The script for A Beautiful Mind was terrible…

Fingers crossed! This could be brilliant!

Comment by King fan — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 2:36pm PDT
    • Indeed. And that’s the “best” of his work.

Comment by Tucker — Wednesday September 8, 2010 @ 3:27pm PDT